FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Other Middle Eastern and African Airlines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-middle-eastern-african-airlines-471/)
-   -   Gulf Service Changes (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-middle-eastern-african-airlines/914633-gulf-service-changes.html)

Silverswimmer Jan 26, 2009 10:25 am

Gulf Service Changes

Obviously I have not been checking the Gulf web site and only found out today of service changes announced some months ago.

No limo service for F.
No sharing AA kerbside check in at LHR T3

This on top of the possibility of going "dry".
My main routes are to MCT or the Sub Continent so as soon as my upgrade miles finish I think I will be looking elsewhere.

Incidentally - if GF goes dry will BAH Duty Free follow!

BiziBB Jan 26, 2009 8:39 pm

Silverswimmer, it would be good for all of us to stay vigilant re. the timing of such changes at GF - especially if it means the airline is forced to Islamify the airline further, as a result of laws or pressure from Parliament.

Having a dry BAH lounge would likely drive away a lot of premium passengers.

There are a few recent threads so I'll try to add links. I'm tempted to set up a thread that can index recent FFP cutbacks information.

You will find another thread on the stripping of Etihad Gold benefits - but that's not quite the same as dropping limo service and kerbside service entirely.

Airline alcohol ban step closer [thanks MarkLHR]

MPs yesterday voted unanimously to ban alcohol on all Gulf Air flights, saying that the government had no excuse since it now fully owned the airline.

The proposal, submitted by a cross section of MPs, will now go to the Cabinet for study.

It was backed across-the-board by MPs, who questioned the government's delay in banning in-flight alcohol, saying it should have been done voluntarily a long time ago.

The main campaigner, Al Menbar MP Shaikh Mohammed Khalid Mohammed, said the sale, distribution and drinking of alcohol was banned by Islam.

"Whether it is on flight or in any other outlet in the country, alcohol shouldn't be served.

..."There are other GCC airlines which don't offer alcohol in flight and their business hasn't suffered, in fact it has increased and I believe that Gulf Air would benefit if it did the same."

sadiqhassan Jan 27, 2009 7:24 am

Does anyone know which airline(s) is (are) being referenced in

"...There are other GCC airlines which don't offer alcohol in flight and their business hasn't suffered, in fact it has increased and I believe that Gulf Air would benefit if it did the same."

Cheers,

directorguy_ Jan 27, 2009 9:51 am

Originally Posted by sadiqhassan (Post 11149852)
Does anyone know which airline(s) is (are) being referenced in

"...There are other GCC airlines which don't offer alcohol in flight and their business hasn't suffered, in fact it has increased and I believe that Gulf Air would benefit if it did the same."

Cheers,

The guy was probably referring to Kuwait Airways or Jazeera Airways. Not exactly examples GF would want to follow.

I'm be extremely dissapointed if GF becomes dry, and Bahrain Duty Free becomes dry. It's dissapointing that politics interferes so much. Lack of alcohol would drive away (Saudi) Arabian tourists (which is not altogether a bad thing) but would devastate the island's fragile economy.
GF keeps revamping and restructuring and rebranding but at every turn something happens. So far none of the Major Fours in the Gulf are dry, so GF would be a first, and the rest would have yet another competitive edge over the airline.
I hate it when politics interferes with airlines who have a hard time running operations anyway-and for the record banning alcohol would be cheap and tacky lip service to Islam. Devout Muslims know they're not supposed to drink, but many Muslims DO drink and will most likely fly other airlines. One more nail in GF's coffin.

Cedar Jet Jan 27, 2009 4:39 pm

Crazy

The logic is idealistic and not in keeping with business reality.
While my flying to ME for business has ceased for the time being I definately would reconsider GF if service standards were dropping.

You cant win with GCC carriers; they all start off brilliantly then in time gradually fade.

Ah well I'll stick with my QF/OW - much safer bet.

Good luck to GF they will need it!

CJ:)

BiziBB Jan 27, 2009 8:39 pm

If anyone has the time or happens to be in the ME at present - is this just posturing that will not be mandated onto GF or could you see GF mgmt. bend to the politicians' lobbying?

I'm most interested in knowing if there are any editorials or articles which deal with the competitive situation - and whether there really are precedents for GF to follow.

Ex-investors, the owners of Qatar and Etihad airlines, must be making some mileage of this, should it happen.

I get back to my point earlier - is GF's direction leading it to cease catering for the international longhaul 'Western' markets (e.g. ex-LHR) and revert to being an Arab-focused shorthaul operator?

Surely the Arab business minds at GF (and Bahrain generally) could find a better business solution than this heavy-handed proposal to ban ALL alcohol outlets in Bahrain - including the shutdown of a significant portion of GF's premium markets ex-Europe.

:rolleyes:

directorguy_ Jan 29, 2009 3:50 am

I hope the airline has got the business sense not to bow down to Islamist politicians. Banning alcohol in Bahrain would be suicide-that country gets millions of Saudi tourists per year who are drawn to the 'liberal' lifestyle in Bahrain. Take this away, and not only will Gulf Air loose business, but so will the bars, hotels, restaurants etc.
Bahrain will become even more backwater, and banning alcohol means that the government is adopting a more hostile, 'anti-Western' attitude that will scare off investors in an already fragile economic context.
Gulf Air relies on transit traffic. The low-yield passengers may not mind too much, but premium business will be hurt. Gulf Air will shift to being like Kuwait Airways, Saudi Arabian and Egyptair-airlines that are not taking seriously when compared to EK, QR and EY. The difference is that Kuwait and Saudi Arabia have good O&D from their airlines.
Bahrain OTOH is very limited in O&D. If GF loses its value as a hub, it will literally become as big as Bahrain Air.