Air Zim inbound delayed 6 hours to LGW - help?

Old Oct 19, 2008, 7:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
Air Zim inbound delayed 6 hours to LGW - help?

Meant to leave @ 0600 this morning ex HRE and only left at 1200. Due in with consequent 6 hr delay at 12.30 tonight. Can anyone suggest a way to find out what time it will be leaving Gatwick again? My mother doesnt particularly want to arrive at midnight and hope for the best.

The Gatwick info service still shows it leaving at the expected time of 2000 tonight, but clearly that's not going to happen.
Old Oct 19, 2008, 7:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
Dont worry, I answered my own question. It is EXPECTED to leave at 2 a.m.

If you ever need to find out this information, the new (unadvertised) Air Zimbabwe number is 01293-602510
Old Oct 19, 2008, 8:27 am

Air Zim has one of their two 767s currently in heavy maintenance, so all their longhaul flights are running completely off schedule. This has been happening at LGW for the last few weeks.

Be aware though that even though the flight may be delayed to 2am, they will close checkin as per the original schedule of 8pm. Last week alone, there were dozens of passengers left behind due to showing up "late" as a result of the delay.
Old Oct 19, 2008, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
just curious why you choose air zim?
Old Oct 20, 2008, 12:34 am

Programs: SAA Voyager Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by UA Fan
just curious why you choose air zim?
There are some very cheap fares available through Air Zimbabwe. Can be worthwhile if timing is not critical!
Old Oct 20, 2008, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by Shumba
There are some very cheap fares available through Air Zimbabwe. Can be worthwhile if timing is not critical!
still considering the situation, i would not fly them even if paid.
Old Oct 21, 2008, 10:52 am

Programs: HHonors, Hyatt GP, Marriott, Varying Levels w/ UA /AF /DL /SQ /AA
And Heaven help you if you're planning on travelling on a date when Gracie decides that she wants to go on a shopping spree in Europe!
Old Oct 21, 2008, 1:45 pm

Programs: LH, SA, AA
Originally Posted by TravelinWilly
And Heaven help you if you're planning on travelling on a date when Gracie decides that she wants to go on a shopping spree in Europe!
Comrade Bob has a habit as well of commandeering one of the 767's for his private use.
Old Oct 24, 2008, 10:13 am

Programs: SAA Voyager Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by capetonian
Comrade Bob has a habit as well of commandeering one of the 767's for his private use.
As I said earlier, it only works if timing is not critical!

A group of us went on a golf tour to Ireland earlier this year, and the contingent from Harare decided to travel on Air Zim (something like US$ 450 return in Business class!)

They connected to Belfast with a cheap Flybe fare and got there fine. But a couple of days before departure the were informed by Air Zim that their flight from Gatwick was departing one day early! And the next flight they could get would be several days later.

The Flybe flight was non-changeable so they had to shell out over a 100 quid for a full fare ticket to get back to Gatwick.

So not only did they miss out on a day of golf, but had an extra unbudgeted expense.

On the positive side, it seems that the on board service was friendly if not particularly efficient, the food and drinks were good, and the seats were comfortable.

So I guess the lesson is, travel Air Zim if you want cheap fares and if you do not mind when you leave or return!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.