Egypt Air - business/first class

Old Jan 25, 2017, 11:13 am

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Originally Posted by flyin´ruddl

As said before, the lounge in CAI is nothing special, no alcohol. For those in need duty-free is available and one can stock up for consumption on-board or in the lounge at good prices.
Does this still hold good??! I imagine things have changed in the last 5-ish years?
Old Jan 27, 2017, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK

As said before, the lounge in CAI is nothing special, no alcohol. For those in need duty-free is available and one can stock up for consumption on-board or in the lounge at good prices.
Those unable to survive a journey without booze are probably best advised not to fly a dry airline. If you're seduced by the low fares, accept eight hours without alcohol as the quid pro quo of that bargain.

Pulling out a bottle mid-flight risks upsetting fellow passengers. Some will have selected the airline because it is alcohol free.

As for opening bottles in the lounge, best look for the airside bar.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 5:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM (*G)
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Those unable to survive a journey without booze are probably best advised not to fly a dry airline. If you're seduced by the low fares, accept eight hours without alcohol as the quid pro quo of that bargain.

Pulling out a bottle mid-flight risks upsetting fellow passengers.
Well, while I think it´s not about the indispensable absence of alcohol I´d rather think about the inconvience to some about not being able to get a glass of wine with dinner or an after-dinner drink. So bringing your own bottle of wine should be a situation everybody can live with, no? And from my experience, even FAs are willing to pour you a glass if you open the bottle by yourself...

F.R.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Well, while I think it´s not about the indispensable absence of alcohol I´d rather think about the inconvience to some about not being able to get a glass of wine with dinner or an after-dinner drink. So bringing your own bottle of wine should be a situation everybody can live with, no? And from my experience, even FAs are willing to pour you a glass if you open the bottle by yourself...
Alcohol isn't supplied on board and it isn't served from bottles passengers bring on board.

Booze isn't missing by oversight: it's absent because presenting an alcohol-free cabin is the policy of the airline. And it's a policy appreciated by many of the airline's passengers.

The very simple solution to getting a drink on board is to fly with an airline that isn't dry. Plenty of them around
Old Jan 28, 2017, 11:32 pm

F.R.
I almost always have a glass of wine (or more ) with my dinner, and I very often follow this up witha digestif. Still, I was not inconvenienced when I flew ATH-CAI-CAN in C last year. Since I'm not an alcoholic I can survive easily without alcohol fow a few (or more) hours and I prefer paying up to €1000 less for my ticket instead. Come to think of it, you can use the money saved for some good wine and booze upon your return...
Old Jan 30, 2017, 7:00 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Originally Posted by IAN-UK

Pulling out a bottle mid-flight risks upsetting fellow passengers. Some will have selected the airline because it is alcohol free.

As for opening bottles in the lounge, best look for the airside bar.
I most certainly understand that the policy of the airline is based on cultural reasons, and plan to be entirely respectful of it when I travel EgyptAir. My query was out of curiosity.

And from my experience, even FAs are willing to pour you a glass if you open the bottle by yourself...

F.R.
Sounds like they are not entirely offended by the alcohol, but whether the FAs would continue to serve if a fellow pax complained is uncertain. I doubt if one would be able to assert one's right (for lack of a better word) to a glass of wine with one's meal on a dry airline.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 3:16 am

Programs: FB, OK+, MS, TK, Le Club, HH
With regard to opening bottles inflight, one needs to remember the long standing ban on taking liquids from landside to airside. Therefore the only way you can take your own alcohol onboard is to purchase it in the duty free shops, once you get airside (Does anyone else find it really annoying that a lot of airports force you to walk through the duty free outlets before you can get to the lounge proper, these days?).

However, it is also deemed to be illegal by many countries to open your duty free booze before reaching your destination.

There again, most airlines, even the non-dry ones tend to frown on passengers partaking of their own alcohol inflight.

On another point Egyptians are not as conservative in their attitude to alcohol as, for example Saudis, and are not only used to seeing non-Muslims drinking, but the country has a thriving beer, wine and spirits industry; the lagers being most welcome in an evening, after a hot day, but the airline apparently went dry out of respect for the beliefs of their more conservative passengers, from other countries.

Who knows, perhaps they may decide to revoke this policy in order to attract more western passengers?

Otherwise, the range of soft drinks is perfectly adequate and a nice glass of fruit juice can be a fine alternative to wine, when dining.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 8:23 am

Programs: FB Plat, IHG RA Spire, TK Elite+, HH Diamond, LH SEN, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by GlenP
(Does anyone else find it really annoying that a lot of airports force you to walk through the duty free outlets before you can get to the lounge proper, these days?).
Since the redesign of BHX you have to walk through a snaking duty free to get anywhere in the terminal.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 4:28 pm

Considering a flight on Egypt new route iad/cai. They are offering an incredible fare for Bus. Is it still and alcohol free airline and is the cai lounge still alcohol free? Thanks
Old Mar 15, 2019, 5:26 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by jmj9905
Considering a flight on Egypt new route iad/cai. They are offering an incredible fare for Bus. Is it still and alcohol free airline and is the cai lounge still alcohol free? Thanks
Yes, and yes, and the seats are a generation (or more) old. However, the price is reasonable so...
Old Mar 15, 2019, 6:18 pm

ironmanjt thanks for the quick response. How are the bus. lounges in cai?
Old Mar 15, 2019, 7:08 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
ironmanjt thanks for the quick response. How are the bus. lounges in cai?
Grim in that terminal. Very very grim. Lounges don’t even have Diet Coke, super worn leather armchairs, almost always crowded, tho I do have a fondness for the cold pizza they serve.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 11:13 am

Thanks again ironmanjt. I think I will pass on the Egypt air flight deal.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
what fare are you getting????
Old Mar 16, 2019, 7:34 pm

The travel agent said it looked like it would be $900.00 us. I don't think it is available yet.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.