Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[OLD] Royal Air Maroc - Terrorism Threat

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2006, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

[OLD] Royal Air Maroc - Terrorism Threat

According to the French press on Sept 1st, among the many arrested in Morocco in August were 2 wives of RAM pilots in burka-like garb - apparently fundamentalist, middle-class women funneling money to Salafist terrorist groups. Why no western governments other than Australia have not issued travel advisories for this country is beyond me (perhaps politics over safety of their citizens?). The threats were apparently massive and targeted at the highest levels of the kingdom and places where Westerners congregate.

This saddens me - I love Morocco (it's a wonderful country and most of its citizens are lovely people) and have previously spoken highly of RAM, which is not a bad airline. I wouldn't fly them for a million dollars right now. Up to you...
Old Sep 1, 2006, 4:52 pm

Programs: AA 1MM, AA Plat, Hyatt Plat
I don't think an event like this should be representative of an entire airline nor should it warrant a travel advisory. Smuggling of money happens all the time all around the world, this act alone should not trigger an a travel advisory. I am sure the OP did not mean for it to be interpreted in this way, so I just wanted to clarify.
Old Sep 2, 2006, 7:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by coiaflyer
I don't think an event like this should be representative of an entire airline nor should it warrant a travel advisory. Smuggling of money happens all the time all around the world, this act alone should not trigger an a travel advisory. I am sure the OP did not mean for it to be interpreted in this way, so I just wanted to clarify.
This isn't just about wiring money. it's about a major *local* terrorist plot to blow up places in the country where tourists congregate and to murder government officials. The arrests started in early August, but news was suppressed until just 2 or 3 days ago. It's far wider reaching than the plots in Casablanca a few years' back, which emanated from the slums. Here we are talking about middle and upper class people being implicated, including officials in the gendarmerie, police force, military and national airline.

And no, I am not anti-Moroccan. I do business there often, I love the country and I have been flying RAM for years (gold/silver Safar Flyer for some time now). If I have to go there now, I fly AF.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 10:14 pm

Programs: Royal Air Maroc
Originally Posted by hegira
This isn't just about wiring money. it's about a major *local* terrorist plot to blow up places in the country where tourists congregate and to murder government officials. The arrests started in early August, but news was suppressed until just 2 or 3 days ago. It's far wider reaching than the plots in Casablanca a few years' back, which emanated from the slums. Here we are talking about middle and upper class people being implicated, including officials in the gendarmerie, police force, military and national airline.

And no, I am not anti-Moroccan. I do business there often, I love the country and I have been flying RAM for years (gold/silver Safar Flyer for some time now). If I have to go there now, I fly AF.
Well I fly Royal Air Maroc. Any terrorists (and the security at Casa is good) if they exist, will try for a French or British plane rather than a Moroccan one.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 10:56 pm

Programs: UA MP/UC - "RIP Tulip Plat"
Originally Posted by laduqesa
Well I fly Royal Air Maroc. Any terrorists (and the security at Casa is good) if they exist, will try for a French or British plane rather than a Moroccan one.
Are you serious? Security is good?! No way is security good at Casa, they are the most corrupt, bribe wanting, enforcement group that i have ever came in contact with.

Although the majority of Moroccans are great, hospitable and western loving people (To which is the reason i enjoy visiting such a rich and great place such as Morocco), there are truly those who are extreme and would like nothing more than to rid the world of western ideology.

But thats another story-

I agree with the OP that I wouldn't fly on RAM even if my life depended on it. I think one of the fundamental problems are the RAM pilots-

They act like they are the ones who are entitled to that Royal part in Royal Air Maroc. They have so much power over what happens on a day to day basis at that airline that it is just unbelievable! For example, RAM pilots are allowed and have kicked revenue passengers and cargo for their own personal needs.

My sister was stranded in Morocco back last year and she couldn't get a seat on any carrier, low and behold an acquaintance knew a RAM pilot which kicked off paid customers out of the premium cabin to make way for her and her friends. That was really really bad. I cant imagine how that group of unlucky passengers got out! I hope they knew a pilot!

I do have another story, but I'm gonna have to get permission from my friend who works at Delta to be able to go into specifics an incident that happened between Delta's Management and RAM's pilots.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 2:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
You're resurrecting a long-dead, three years' old thread ???
Old Nov 21, 2009, 3:26 pm
Moderator, SkyTeam and Germany

Programs: BA, LH, KL, EY, IHG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, Radisson
I've added an "OLD" tag to the thread title as to not confuse our members on an outdated post

ralfkrippner, forum moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.