TLV flyers--how do you book your reservations?

Old Jun 11, 05, 11:44 pm
Original Poster

TLV flyers--how do you book your reservations?

When I called DL lately, they told me to go to a travel agent. So Did AF/KLM. I find TAs hard to deal with, unhappy/willing to look for alterante routings. IS there any way I can do it myself? How do you handle it?
Old Jun 12, 05, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
www.elal.com

www.continental.com
Old Jun 13, 05, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by entropy
yes, i do sometimes try the sites, but with complicated itineraries and 5 travelers, i find the sites of limited value.
Old Jun 14, 05, 1:29 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL, LUV, SPG, HHonors, Avis, Hertz
Are you serious?

I mean no offense entropy, but www.elal.com? Are you really serious?

That website has got to be one of the worst I've ever visited, and the fact that it's the Israeli national airline is an embarrassment. How could Israel produce as many 'hy-tech' geniuses and market-leading technology, and still be represented by that junk.

Even if I could find the itinerary I wanted on that site, I wouldn't trust it to buy a ticket. Zevel.
Old Jun 14, 05, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

elal.com is a place to buy a ticket. I didn't say a good place. It sucks big time, in fact, you can't even buy tickets from cities like athens and istanbul to tlv on their site.
Old Jun 14, 05, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

so how do you make your reservations--especially if they are complicated?
Old Jun 14, 05, 1:39 pm

El Al

Originally Posted by haniboo
so how do you make your reservations--especially if they are complicated?
I'd like to be more helpful, but I've only used travel agents to get what I need from EL AL.
Old Jun 14, 05, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you need to book something with LY, figure out your routing via ITA and then call up LY and do it over the phone. It is better if you know hebrew.
Old Jun 14, 05, 5:01 pm

Even in Ivrit...

If you need to book something with LY, figure out your routing via ITA and then call up LY and do it over the phone. It is better if you know hebrew.
Now I know I'm just being difficult here....(entropy's suggestion sounds like the best one...)

...but I can't help but raise the example of a good friend in Israel who once came to visit on LY, on what was supposed to be a nonstop to ORD (back when they still existed...) and they flew through Montreal without mentioning it to him (in Hebrew, or English) ahead of time.

May not seem like a big deal, but he paid a premium for that flight, and the original purpose of the nonstop was to avoid having him land somewhere he might have to navigate an airport without the benefit of knowing English (or French), or having a friend to pick him up.

That said...I don't mean to be so harsh on LY. I still prefer it when I can make it work, and my experience with FAs has been great, contrary to the decades old reputation.

P.S. Before you respond in disbelief about my friend's language skills - keep in mind that he only got to Israel at 14 from Ethiopia, so it's taken him time to catch up on English.
Old Jun 14, 05, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I find LY's website to be disgraceful and I'll see what I can do about getting someone who actually can do something about it to listen.

I wrote them a while back about how much of a pain in the @$$ some of their ground staff are (not the security, the ticket agents, check in agents, etc)
I know for a fact that they have a very nice IT infrastructure behind the scenes, but the interface SUCK SUCK SUCKS/
Old Jun 15, 05, 3:54 am

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR), *A Gold, SkyTeam E+, TK Elite, IHG Spire AMB, HH Diamond, Sixt PL, GE/TSA Pre
Booking Flights I found is best kept to the Travel Agent...Why? because selected travel agents are buddies with the right people in ELAL so when you want X seat on an aircraft that says it's been taken....you get it, or when BA quotes #1,300 for a 'D' class fare while LY quotes #1,700 for 'D' class, your TA will schmooze LY ticketing department and get you a price match!! etc. etc. etc.

As we all know 'Only on ELAL' can this be achieved but a TA who has insider relations is always a bonus (so to are family friends who work for the airline)

And yes I know what most of you are thinking, what a disgrace, abusing the system like that" well wake up and smell the coffee, it happens everywhere, BA, CO, VS etc.
Old Jun 15, 05, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

jonnye- do you know anyone in their marketing organization (or IT) that would be willing to listen to a few suggestions about how to make their website usable?
Old Jun 17, 05, 3:01 am

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR), *A Gold, SkyTeam E+, TK Elite, IHG Spire AMB, HH Diamond, Sixt PL, GE/TSA Pre
jonnye- do you know anyone in their marketing organization (or IT) that would be willing to listen to a few suggestions about how to make their website usable?

Unfortunately no, though http://www.kedemtech.co.il/ seem to be the guys who either built the site or do the updates for them. they might know of a good contact in marketing.

Maybe we'll all get lucky once they produce their "ELAL2010" document!!!, i was actually expecting an annoucement at the paris airshow to be honest, an order of 10 787's is what the rumour is at the moment, we'll just have to wait and see.
Old Jun 17, 05, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I doubt that kedem would be interested in giving me the contact info for the LY people because they'd risk losing their contract!
Old Jun 20, 05, 5:03 am

Programs: IHG Gold, HH Gold, Hertz#1, IB Oro, Alitalia Silver, TK Elite, Marriott Gold, VN Plat
Just book by phone, best and most assured, I book all my flights out of TLV on the phone with the companies.

And they send me the eTicket by mail, and I'm all set, also in Israel, It's better to talk with someone over the phone when ordering a plane ticket, rather then ordering online.

Search this Thread