Wiki Posts
Search

El Al 60% NYC TLV market share; CO 20%

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2004, 8:46 pm
Original Poster

El Al 60% NYC TLV market share; CO 20%

http://www.haaretzdaily.com/hasen/spages/484505.html

According to this article more people are flying El Al between New York and Tel Aviv; LY now controls 60% of the market and Continental 20%.
Old Oct 3, 2004, 9:15 pm

Programs: American, Continental, United
Originally Posted by Bretteee

According to this article more people are flying El Al between New York and Tel Aviv; LY now controls 60% of the market and Continental 20%.
Not very surprising. Given El Al's security reputation and the fact that all of its in-flight meal service is kosher (even on CO you have to put in a special request, often an iffy proposition as most of us know), many travellers to Israel will only fly El Al.

I flew LY to Israel in 1998. While not terrible, and probably better than many US carriers, it was still far from a world class airline. I hear that it has improved considerably since then though.
Old Oct 4, 2004, 9:24 am

The article is about the market of North America to TLV including Toronto, Chicago and Los Angeles (where LY fly direct to or from). I doubt the numbers as they do not have the number of passengers that connect in Europe via LH, LX, KL, BA, AZ and more. I also believe they do not count destinations that LY do not fly to.
LH should take about 5-10% of the overall N. America market from TLV, BA whould take about 3-5%, Air Canada would take around 6-8%. This adds to more than 100%.

Specifically per New York, CO's market share is larger than 20%.
Old Oct 5, 2004, 6:54 pm
Original Poster

<<I flew LY to Israel in 1998. While not terrible, and probably better than many US carriers, it was still far from a world class airline. I hear that it has improved considerably since then though.[/QUOTE]>>

I think LY offers excellent service, at least from Europe.
Old Oct 6, 2004, 4:42 pm

Programs: American, Continental, United
<<I flew LY to Israel in 1998. While not terrible, and probably better than many US carriers, it was still far from a world class airline. I hear that it has improved considerably since then though.
>>

I think LY offers excellent service, at least from Europe.[/QUOTE]

I have heard similar statements, that El Al has improved in recent years. But I haven't flown El Al since 1998, so I have no other perspective. Hence, why I qualified my statement.
Old Oct 6, 2004, 9:38 pm
Original Poster

>>I have heard similar statements, that El Al has improved in recent years. But I haven't flown El Al since 1998>>

I know that many bad mouth El Al. I never understood why. I have flown them on average once a year since 1962; 42 years and never had a bad experience. My first flight was on a Boeing 720B from London to New York. My mother took her first LY flight from TLV to Cyprus in 1950 and she won't fly to Israel on any other airline.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.