Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other Middle Eastern and African Airlines
Reload this Page >

I won Royal Jordanian tickets, but they are not hassle-free

Old Dec 23, 03, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK Gold

Today I got an email saying that I was one of the 400 lucky winners of Royal Jordanian's 40:th anniversary raffle. I was one of the 40 000 who signed up, so I consider myself lucky.
First thing I did was to check the winners list on their homepage and I am listed there so I have won (yippie!).
The information included in my email was none except that I've won. Their homepage revealed some more info:
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">
Kindly note that the following restrictions apply on the tickets:

These are Economy class space available tickets. Confirmed reservation is not permitted.
The tickets are valid for travel between 22nd of December 2003 and 22nd December 2004. Extensions will not be allowed.
The tickets are not exchangeable for cash and can be only used by the prizewinners.
The tickets cannot be used during embargo periods, including major holidays and summer.
Travel will be from / to Amman only.
All the taxes applicable are to be paid by the winners.
Tickets once issued will not be returned.
Once more, we wish to extend to you our heartiest congratulations and sincerest wishes for a happy trip.
</font>
My home airport is Copenhagen which means the closest destinations for me to catch my flight would be AMS/LON/FRA. However, since my tickets wont be confirmed, how do I know I wont miss my connection on the way back?

And it seems like the prize is only for one person, it would be boring to travel Amman alone..

Which brings me to another question, has anyone been to Amman? Is it a good place to go? Or should I rather buy a youth-ticket to Amman and then fly for free to BKK or something?

And finally, does anyone know how flying Y with RJ is?

I'm happy for any ideas you might have, since this prize seems a bit harder to claim than I had expected.

I've sent an email with these questions to RJ aswell, but want to get some ideas from my fellow Flyertalkers..

(By the way, check out RJ's routemap and take a closer look at where they have placed Amsterdam, Munich and London...)

[This message has been edited by PappaG (edited Dec 23, 2003).]
Old Dec 23, 03, 9:53 am

At the risk of understatement, Amman is not the most exciting place in the world... but Jerash in northern Jordan, and of course Petra to the south, are worth seeing and not terribly far away. And for both of these it's only a good thing that summer travel is blocked...

And be careful with your bags at AMM, I walked in on an airport employee blithely trying to remove the tags from my suitcase the last time I was there.
Old Dec 24, 03, 4:43 am

I thought RJ flew to CPH?

I would go and have a good time. Buy a ticket say to AMS and give yourself an extra day coming back for caution sake if you do get bumped.

A friend of mine flew them from Shannon to Chicago in Business and liked it. He said security is intense, sounds like Elal. They check you in the jetway as you are boarding and gave him a full pat down and search, in the jetway.

He said it was a cheap Business service and they came around at the end looking for newspapers and anything else they could take back, including the menu. However, it was much cheaper than the standard Bus. fare on Aer Lingus, etc.

Another friend has been to Amman/Petra and loved it, but I would go to the resorts of Aqaba which has some really good hotels.

Sounds fun.

------------------
YAS+
Old Dec 26, 03, 1:09 am

If you go to Eopinions you can read comments about RJ. The comments were a bit negative about the service but it's free so who cares.

From Amman you can take day trips to Jerash ruins which are fascinating. Not far is the Dead Sea and a very nice Movenpick Hotel. Then go to Petra for 1 night. From there continue to Wadi Rum (desert made famous by Lawrence of Arabia) and if you like the beach continue south to Aqaba. You can also visit Eilat in Israel from there and Taba in Egypt and continue to Mt. sinai. Lots to see and do.
Old Jan 17, 04, 7:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK Gold
I wrote my first email Dec 23 and second Jan 7 to their adress [email protected] asking about my prize. Still I haven't heard anything from them except ads for their different services. I guess contest winners aren't a highly prioritized group but still almost a month without an answer. Is this normal when communicating with them?
Old Jan 17, 04, 10:15 am

Do they have an office in Stockholm? I would call their marketing / sales office. I know they have one in London. Otherwise you may never see your prize.

Search this Thread