Ethiopian layover hotel in Addis

Old Apr 27, 2024, 2:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: United, Aegean
Ethiopian layover hotel in Addis

I recently missed my connection due to a flight delay in Addis and ended up in a really terrible hotel courtesy of Ethiopian! I am wondering if this happens in the future if anyone has any recommendations where they have refused the hotel or specifically for another one that Ethiopian uses? I am also going to hit *AG and Im wondering if this makes a difference in the hotel they give you? Im travelling economy so maybe not.

any advice for the future or experiences ?
Old Apr 27, 2024, 5:18 am

Which hotel did they put you at?

If I get assigned to some of the more dire options, I usually book my own hotel (the Ramada and the Best Western are both nearby and usually around $80/night - and are adequate for an overnight stop) but use the ET transit visa to get through immigration. And then claim the hotel cost from insurance.
dvs7310 and byrnesyliam like this.
Old Apr 27, 2024, 1:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by byrnesyliam
I recently missed my connection due to a flight delay in Addis and ended up in a really terrible hotel courtesy of Ethiopian! I am wondering if this happens in the future if anyone has any recommendations where they have refused the hotel or specifically for another one that Ethiopian uses? I am also going to hit *AG and Im wondering if this makes a difference in the hotel they give you? Im travelling economy so maybe not.

any advice for the future or experiences ?
In business class they always gave me the Hilton. In economy it wasn't ever anything good.

At one point at NRT they did give me Hilton since I was *G but wouldn't give my partner the same voucher, she was assigned some crap hotel. It didn't even occur to me to just use the voucher for the visa and take her to Hilton on my voucher. Instead we were told to go to the transit desk in ADD and sort it out, which they promptly cancelled my Hilton voucher since it's for business class only and gave us both some crap hotel.

Frankly I didn't care, we only needed to get some sleep and some food which there was plenty of nearby. But it wasn't a nice hotel.
Old Apr 28, 2024, 12:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: United, Aegean
Originally Posted by B747-437B
Which hotel did they put you at?

If I get assigned to some of the more dire options, I usually book my own hotel (the Ramada and the Best Western are both nearby and usually around $80/night - and are adequate for an overnight stop) but use the ET transit visa to get through immigration. And then claim the hotel cost from insurance.
thanks for this I had thought next time Id use the visa and book something myself!
Old Apr 29, 2024, 2:02 am

Programs: Various shiny cards at hotel chains and airlines
I had a daytime layover last year in ADD and got assigned in Skylight hotel, which was very decent. Was flying in Y as *G
Old Apr 29, 2024, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by Fims
I had a daytime layover last year in ADD and got assigned in Skylight hotel, which was very decent. Was flying in Y as *G
Scheduled layovers from most stations are being allocated to Skylight now (some of the larger stations are exceptions because of the size/volume of the STPC blocks needed), but misconnects tend to be allocated all over the place at the last minute.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.