SV Flight Changed for TEN DAYS later!

Old May 19, 2024, 7:05 pm

Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA
Originally Posted by plunet

The one bonus you do have on the outbound is EU261 protection and remedies. It won't hurt to gently remind SV of this but don't stick it down their throat as the staff you will be dealing with won't deal with the detail of EU protection. You won't have this on the return but try to get your return ticket fixed at the same time.
No, not the case, since the change was announced a month in advance, hence beyound the 14 days EU261 indicates.
SaltyPaprika likes this.
Old May 20, 2024, 9:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite
Originally Posted by atflyer
SV is becoming a joke and a very dangerous one at that. EU261 only gives very partial protection here, even if you fly to or from Europe. For the inbound section SV is a non EU carrier and that does not give a lot of rights. And in any case, if they do a schedule change 2 weeks in advance, as they did, EU261 gives you nothing. They apparently play hardball in such cases now. They won't rebook you on another carrier, even if they cannot offer a flight themselves close to the original flight dates. The only realistic option the OP had was to cancel the ticket and getting a refund when things changed in April. They probably want to teach us not to do what OP did - fly in the outbound and hope SV will solve the inbound issue. With SV now changing schedules and dropping destinations all over the place, I would say - if you have an SV ticket, ensure you are flexible with any other add on bookings you have (hotels, positioning flights) and that if you have to drop them since cancelling SV with a refund is the only thing you realistically can do, costs are minimal. And of course, this ' wait till 24 hours befor you fly' is a risk you never can take.

SV seems in many ways an airline in financial bad weather - dropping the free stopover hotel, dropping rebookings on other airline in case of major schedule changes, and doing schedule changes and dropping destinations all over the place, apparently in a bid to optimize revenue.
I wholeheartedly agree with everything you've said here.

We took it in good faith that SV would assist us with the re-routing on the inbound as the ten day wait in DAR was a bit crazy.

So for anyone else due to fly with them, please be aware of this when managing expectations. SV may not be so helpful.
Old May 23, 2024, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
SV seems in many ways an airline in financial bad weather - dropping the free stopover hotel, dropping rebookings on other airline in case of major schedule changes, and doing schedule changes and dropping destinations all over the place, apparently in a bid to optimize revenue.
When SV suspended the LAX-JED flight (and kindly reaccommodated me on AF which turned out to be CI and QR), I thought it was not being able to get enough alfalfa to send to KSA. With all the cutbacks, it's my belief that MBS is tired of SV being a cashpit and trying to stem the cash haemorrhage.
moondog, atflyer and Davvidd like this.
Old May 24, 2024, 2:31 am
Original Poster

Travel Insurance came back and rejected my claim....

"Please be advised that we are unable to consider your claim due to the following reason:This is a matter to do with the Airline and looking in to the policy wording ,this circumstance is not covered as a covered reason."

It's a tricky one, as these kind of situations are fairly unique. not sure if I should fight it?
Old May 26, 2024, 3:13 pm

Programs: BAEC
Would not hurt to ask the insurer to detail the wording in their policy that excludes this risk and situation from being claimable.
Old May 31, 2024, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Hmm sounds like the insurance company is taking the position that it needs to be a peril stated in the policy to be covered. This is the opposite of (normal) all-risk coverage, where the insurers need to specify the risks/peril that is not covered.
Old Jun 11, 2024, 6:16 am

Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA
More SV *hit - a colleague had his AMS-BKK return for this Summer revoked. From what I can quickly see is they halved the flights AMS-JED and the JED-BKK flight is now much later, implying the wait in JED may be longer as the visa-free limit of 11-12 hours. Initially he was rebooked on KL, but days later that was cancelled. The only option - refund, nothing else. Of course good luck in booking something reasonably priced now for this Summer. SV behavior pretty consistent with what we saw in this thread and again proof it has become a dangerous airline that changes schedules at will and then leaves their customers alone. Some of their offers are still good value, but I would only book them if remaining costs after a cancellation and refund from their side are very limited, and you do not rely on the planned journey for a time-critical event. So no or no expensive positioning flights, no non-refundable hotels, and probably mainly for holidays (or destinations where you can be pretty sure a last minute flight will not cost you the Earth....but then why would you book still SV if you can book something equally priced with a much more reliable competitor...)......

This behaviour of course will chase any international customer base they have build up in the last years away, spelling only more trouble for this airline in future.
moondog likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2024, 9:45 am

More SV *hit - a colleague had his AMS-BKK return for this Summer revoked. From what I can quickly see is they halved the flights AMS-JED and the JED-BKK flight is now much later, implying the wait in JED may be longer as the visa-free limit of 11-12 hours. Initially he was rebooked on KL, but days later that was cancelled. The only option - refund, nothing else. Of course good luck in booking something reasonably priced now for this Summer. SV behavior pretty consistent with what we saw in this thread and again proof it has become a dangerous airline that changes schedules at will and then leaves their customers alone. Some of their offers are still good value, but I would only book them if remaining costs after a cancellation and refund from their side are very limited, and you do not rely on the planned journey for a time-critical event. So no or no expensive positioning flights, no non-refundable hotels, and probably mainly for holidays (or destinations where you can be pretty sure a last minute flight will not cost you the Earth....but then why would you book still SV if you can book something equally priced with a much more reliable competitor...)......

This behaviour of course will chase any international customer base they have build up in the last years away, spelling only more trouble for this airline in future.

The main problem is that the passengers never involve the NEB to enforce the Regulation 261/2004. SV did crazy things with departures from Vienna and other EU airports.

I just want to remember to always involve the NEB in these situations. From Vienna the NEB is: https://www.apf.gv.at/en/agency-for-...er-rights.html

it's true that you could not fix your itinerary even with the NEB investigation but airlines do not like to get sanctions and bad publicity. Their behviour will change quickly when what they are doing will get more and more visibility to the public.
Old Jun 17, 2024, 2:26 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
I have flown SV from YYZ and return on the old 777 business class where it had the 2-2-2 seating. The food was good and the service was ok and it was a flat bed but now I think the 787 had the 1-2-1 flat bed seating. All I need is a goo flat bed and really do not care much about other things as sleep is the most important for me. Yes the long stop over in Jeddah or Riyadh is something I do not want as the last time, they actually gave me a hotel and transport for a night layover. But this was pre pandemic times.
Old Jun 17, 2024, 5:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Davvidd
I have flown SV from YYZ and return on the old 777 business class where it had the 2-2-2 seating. The food was good and the service was ok and it was a flat bed but now I think the 787 had the 1-2-1 flat bed seating. All I need is a goo flat bed and really do not care much about other things as sleep is the most important for me. Yes the long stop over in Jeddah or Riyadh is something I do not want as the last time, they actually gave me a hotel and transport for a night layover. But this was pre pandemic times.
I might have overlooked it, but I don't think the OP voiced any complaints about SV's actual onboard offering(s). Rather, the thrust of this thread is that their customer service doesn't appear to be very good. I was actually considering buying my first SV ticket (they have some pretty enticing fares) until I chanced upon this discussion.
Old Jun 17, 2024, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by Davvidd
Yes the long stop over in Jeddah or Riyadh is something I do not want as the last time, they actually gave me a hotel and transport for a night layover. But this was pre pandemic times.
The last offer of free stopover hotel (2 nts for BC reportedly) + one-way transfer (if it even shows up) disappeared a couple of months ago. I think all that's offered now is a free stopover visas (which still requires an application fee + health insurance).
Davvidd likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2024, 3:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moondog
I might have overlooked it, but I don't think the OP voiced any complaints about SV's actual onboard offering(s). Rather, the thrust of this thread is that their customer service doesn't appear to be very good. I was actually considering buying my first SV ticket (they have some pretty enticing fares) until I chanced upon this discussion.
Hi Moondog, you're right. I actually had really pleasant flights with SV down to Dar Es Salaam - not a bad airline when things go smoothly.

Dealing with call centres was unbearable, and quite stressful when abroad.

I think in future I will try to stick to UK/European carriers where they are bound by the law to provide assistance rather than just cancel and leave passengers stranded. The cost savings are not worth it (in my opinion)!
moondog and plunet like this.
Old Jul 5, 2024, 4:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by plunet
Would not hurt to ask the insurer to detail the wording in their policy that excludes this risk and situation from being claimable.
Originally Posted by SK AAR
Hmm sounds like the insurance company is taking the position that it needs to be a peril stated in the policy to be covered. This is the opposite of (normal) all-risk coverage, where the insurers need to specify the risks/peril that is not covered.
**UPDATE**

Well it's been an interesting few weeks in relation to my travel insurance claim.

We were rejected by Allianz Assistance on the basis that this was an airline issue. Nothing more, no context, nothing.

I took both of your words and formulated a complaint email to Allianz. This was ignored for 3 weeks, along with multiple calls on hold for almost an hour at a time.

About 10 days ago, I found a senior decision maker on LinkedIn Sales Navigator. I asked him to please ask his colleagues to acknowledge my complaint.

I then get an email from someone in cusomter support saying that they are re-assessing the claim as "I personally believe that this claim should have been honoured". So someone in Allianz is finally taking action!!

The very next day I get a call from a senior manager asking for more information and trying to explain that the reason they rejected my claim was becuase it's normally up to the airline to provide new flghts and accommodation - which is fine, if the airline plays by the rules of EU261. Saudia, along with all non-EU airlines where the journey starts outside the EU, is exempt from this.

So after a few days, I get ANOTHER email from the customer support person - they are now saying that they were right to deny my claim (even though she said the opposite 3 days ago).... but as a "gesture of good will" they will approve the claim, but not uphold my complaint.

Moving forward, I reckon that Allianz will not cover this type of scenario again. They probably only paid out because I challenged them on policy wording, which I am extremely grateful for your help on this.
moondog, SK AAR and plunet like this.
Old Jul 5, 2024, 4:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sal77
I booked direct.

I was told if I wanted to take the refund option then I should request it via the manage booking link on their website. After reading your experience, I tried that... it didn't work!! Asked me to call CS. I shall try that again this week at some point. Lucky for me I am still nearly 2 months away from the planned travel.
How are you getting on with your travel plans?
Mike5 likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2024, 4:44 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by SaltyPaprika
they are now saying that they were right to deny my claim (even though she said the opposite 3 days ago).... but as a "gesture of good will" they will approve the claim, but not uphold my complaint.
Well, they are making a meal of it and adding some smoke and mirrors into the decision process, but giving you the outcome that is needed, so I think that's definitely a win.

Originally Posted by SaltyPaprika
Moving forward, I reckon that Allianz will not cover this type of scenario again. They probably only paid out because I challenged them on policy wording, which I am extremely grateful for your help on this.
Very happy that you got a result on this, after being given the finger by SV to be given the finger by your insurer as well on a peril that most travel insurers should cover seemed to be exceptionally poor luck. Always worth in rejection situations getting the insurer to ask them to prove their decision making process stands up against their policy wording.
moondog likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.