Keyna Airways question

Old Mar 24, 2024, 6:28 pm
Original Poster

Keyna Airways question

Booking a paid economy flight NBO-SEZ. Is the bidding process the only method to upgrade to business? It's only a 2.5 hour flight on an E190 but if its inexpensive I'd bid. Does Kenya airways do any complimentary upgrades? I have skyteam elite plus if that is helpful.

Thanks,
Nathan
Old Mar 26, 2024, 11:38 pm
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
I’ve only ever had a op-up once on KQ due to an oversold flight. Every other time I have bid and been successful. I always go for the mid to higher end of the fair bid amount as long as it’s not a ludicrous amount.

There is no harm in calling KQ customer services to see how much it would be to fare-up. I personally have always found the CS team to be helpful.

Although it’s been a while since I’ve been in economy on a KQ E190, I find them a lot more comfortable than the 737-800 so a 2.5hr flight wouldn’t be a killer. The only issue I would say is that there is less space for cabin baggage although with SEZ being more of a holiday destination, may not be as bad as some of the other regional routes. My regular regional routes on KQ involve FIH/NBO/JNB.

If you do bid or upgrade and are tall, I would advise going for row 2 or behind. The bulkhead in row 1 limits the ability to stretch the legs.
Old May 10, 2024, 2:52 pm

Programs: LH SEN (*G), BA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but I did not want to open a new one for a relatively quick question - can I also bid for a cash upgrade on KQ when having booked using miles via a different Skyteam airline, in my case Virgin Atlantic?

Thank you!
Old May 10, 2024, 11:37 pm

Programs: BAEC
No specific answer for you - hopefully someone can give you better feedback based on what KE does in practice (their T&C's are silent) - but In general...

1. tickets not issued by the operating carrier are a barrier to an upgrade being offered because they do not own the ticket, technically the issuing airline has to get involved. The main exception to this is if there is an operational IRROPS situation in which case the operating carrier does whatever is needed.

2. award tickets can be another barrier as there is no monetary value to the existing ticket and a basis from which an upgrade price or bid can be calculated from.

So whilst I can only offer general observations I would suggest that the chances of getting an upgrade offer might be poor. But please do report back.
Old May 12, 2024, 5:17 am

Originally Posted by Christian K
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but I did not want to open a new one for a relatively quick question - can I also bid for a cash upgrade on KQ when having booked using miles via a different Skyteam airline, in my case Virgin Atlantic?

Thank you!
No, PlusGrade only supports revenue tickets issued by the operating carrier. Interline or award tickets are not eligible.
Old May 13, 2024, 10:13 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, TK Elite
Originally Posted by B747-437B
No, PlusGrade only supports revenue tickets issued by the operating carrier. Interline or award tickets are not eligible.
We had booked NBO JNB with KL points in Economy and upgraded using cash via a bid.
Cris L likes this.
Old May 14, 2024, 2:25 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF Gold / A3 Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Gold / TP Silver
Originally Posted by roadwarriorafrica
We had booked NBO JNB with KL points in Economy and upgraded using cash via a bid.
When ?
Old May 14, 2024, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by fifty_two
When ?
Last week. We booked around 4 weeks ago, and put in the minimum bid on 2 reward tickets. Was on the 787 where Z & I showed as "7"
Old May 15, 2024, 2:41 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF Gold / A3 Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Gold / TP Silver
Originally Posted by roadwarriorafrica
Last week. We booked around 4 weeks ago, and put in the minimum bid on 2 reward tickets. Was on the 787 where Z & I showed as "7"
ok , so it was after KQ started asante
Old May 15, 2024, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by fifty_two
ok , so it was after KQ started asante
Correct

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.