Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other Middle Eastern and African Airlines
Reload this Page >

Schedule change Oman Air - is re-routing possible?

Old Jan 3, 2024, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Bronze, Hilton Diamind

Hi all, am looking for some advice. We are family of four booked MXP to PER in July 2023. Flying Oman Air J class MXP - MCT-KUL then Malaysia Airline KUL to PER. Same route and carrier on the return.
Have been checking itinerary regularly and there have been a couple of schedule changes. No problems with change on outward journey but on the return, our KUL -MCT flight now leaves 12 hours later than original flight. We will arrive into MCT after our MCT to MXP flight departs. This schedule does not suit us as not only will we have long connection in KUL, we will also have one in MCT.

Oman Air say there is nothing they can do this far out and that the schedule changes have not been confirmed yet. If the changes are confirmed, do we have any right to a re-route on a partner airline with a partner airline or back into another destination in Europe. Has anyone had experience of schedule changes with Oman Air?
Any advice would be gratefully received.
Old Jan 3, 2024, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Check WY's conditions of carriage. May or may not, or just hand you a refund. No EU261 as it's more than 14 days out.
Old Jan 5, 2024, 3:52 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply. Will keep calling airline and see what they say and make a decision on whether to cancel or accept changes and rearrange plans.
Old Jan 5, 2024, 9:30 pm

Did they change the planes for your flights? From what I've seen, they seem to have changed to using a 737-8 to KUL (and MUC) starting around March. It's a pretty long flight in such a small plane, and if you're flying J, I believe they don't have lie-flats on those planes either.
Old Jan 6, 2024, 4:53 am
Original Poster

Yes changed of plane to 787-8 from MCT to KUL. Not looking like a good seat. Still trying to get customer services to sort out our return from PER as schedule change means we miss our original connection MCT to MXP. No joy so far getting anyone from scheduling team to call us back.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 1:59 am

Programs: BAEC
This is just some complete hypothetical thinking, I have no evidence for this, but I wonder if Oman's expected onboarding into OneWorld might have something to do with this - perhaps they are contemplating letting their OneWorld partner MH take over flying MCT KUL? There is some middle east precedent for this - Qatar have done something similar with KUL flights (as well as HEL and MAD).

With the flight being in July I don't see the urgency to resolve the involuntary change, perhaps Oman's suggestion regarding the schedule not being fully confirmed yet might have some merit. Most airlines would be looking to fully resolve any schedule changes for the (northern hemisphere) summer schedule in the next 4 weeks.

If the times don't change, and it seem you need to be back in MXP on the originally booked date time, could leaving Aus a day earlier and building in a 20ish hour stopover in Oman an option, WY do have a free stopover program.
bobfly likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Thank you for your helpful response, I did wonder if this was linked to them joining One World. Flying back a day early is not an option unfortunately as we are flying back into Perth from Broome and can’t change those flights. Given there may be other changes before schedules are finalised, I w think we will give it another month or so, if the change is finalised then we will have to cancel and rebook with another carrier. Will be in economy if we have to rebook though, prices in J are crazy.

Thanks for everyone’s responses.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 11:46 pm

Same route as you, opposite direction. Not very happy with the business class downgrade to the 737.
Old Jan 11, 2024, 1:29 am

Programs: QF,OZ,AC,VB,BA,SQ, EY, QR
Same has happened to me. Not happy with recliner seat after having paid for lie flat.

Have asked for refund. We shall see, as I booked mine from EU (Spain).
Old Jan 11, 2024, 1:39 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by etrust
Same has happened to me. Not happy with recliner seat after having paid for lie flat.

If there is no significant schedule change (you didn't mention that) and you've just had an equipment swap then you don't have any consumer protection laws from the EU to request a refund, so any refund would probably be subject to the fare rules and penalties you agreed to when you booked.

Aircraft type is not guaranteed, just an unspecified seat in a specific type of cabin.
Old Jan 11, 2024, 4:34 am

Originally Posted by plunet
If there is no significant schedule change (you didn't mention that) and you've just had an equipment swap then you don't have any consumer protection laws from the EU to request a refund, so any refund would probably be subject to the fare rules and penalties you agreed to when you booked.

Aircraft type is not guaranteed, just an unspecified seat in a specific type of cabin.
Yes, I figured that too. And this is after a separate schedule change a month back.
plunet likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2024, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by etrust

Any update?
Old Jan 14, 2024, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by verond
Any update?
Yes, Credit where credit is due.

Oman Air came to the party and rerouted me via BKK at no extra cost so I could avoid the 737-8.

Outstanding customer service from them, sorted out with one email.
Old Jan 14, 2024, 6:53 pm

Can I ask which email you contacted? Also did you book direct or via a travel agent?
Old Jan 15, 2024, 1:53 am

Booked direct with Oman Air.

Email via their website page contact us details

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.