Saudia leased 777s from Air Atlanta

Old Jun 26, 2023, 4:29 pm
Original Poster

Saudia leased 777s from Air Atlanta

Hello,

Iíve got an upcoming flight on Saudia which is showing two rows of Business Class with 7 seats each (2-3-2) for a total of 14 seats.

After a bit of investigating it would seem that these are 9H-AZD and 9H-AZE leased from Air Atlanta Europe. They are formerly Royal Flight aircraft and before that Emirates.

Does anyone have any experience of flying on these aircraft? What seats do they currently have in Business Class and what is the onboard entertainment and IFE like?

Would Saudia allow a free change to a regular Saudia operated flight?

Thanks
NZZO likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2023, 10:34 am

Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA
Saudia seems to have become a serial wet lease airline taking planes where they can get it. Count yourself lucky the plane has a business class. I had a few times their 777s and most are ly-flat, some with 2-2-2 and some herringbone, and I had once an angled ly flat. For a JED-TUN leg I ended up on an A333 Wamos wetlease with angled ly-flat and no IFE (former Air Asia), which was slightly worse as their regular A330s. But there was no way to change since they only flew the wetlease to TUN. Maybe maybe SV will be ok with you to be rebooked on another time or day to a regular SV flight, but I cannot see them moving you to an alternative carrier for this - they will maintain you can still fly J. Contacting them is hit or miss.
https://www.saudia.com/experience/ab...ing-b777-368er
Help - Saudia downgraded flight TUN-JED
Old Jul 1, 2023, 9:12 pm

Programs: *G, OWE
B7474U3 Assuming you don’t change your flight, I would be very interested and grateful to hear of your experience as we have a trip CGK-JED scheduled in October and the seat map indicates that it will likely be one of these aircraft. Given they are ex EK and the business configuration is 2-3-2 I guess (hope) there is a chance that they might have retained two rows of EK seats.
Old Jul 2, 2023, 6:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NZZO
B7474U3 Assuming you donít change your flight, I would be very interested and grateful to hear of your experience as we have a trip CGK-JED scheduled in October and the seat map indicates that it will likely be one of these aircraft. Given they are ex EK and the business configuration is 2-3-2 I guess (hope) there is a chance that they might have retained two rows of EK seats.
That is the same sector that Iíll be doing but in September instead. Iíll let you know how it goes.

Looking at Flight Radar it seems that one of the leased 777s hasnít done any flights at the moment but the other one has been doing a lot of Hajj / Umrah flights (including a number to CGK).

It seems that later in the year these aircraft will be operating to CGK as part of Saudiaís normal schedule - whether that actually turns out to be the case or not remains to be seen. The seat maps of these aircraft may have been loaded by mistake or as a placeholder. By the time the flight operates it may be changed to one of their regular J12 77Ws.
Old Jul 2, 2023, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by B7474U3
That is the same sector that Iíll be doing but in September instead. Iíll let you know how it goes.

Looking at Flight Radar it seems that one of the leased 777s hasnít done any flights at the moment but the other one has been doing a lot of Hajj / Umrah flights (including a number to CGK).

It seems that later in the year these aircraft will be operating to CGK as part of Saudiaís normal schedule - whether that actually turns out to be the case or not remains to be seen. The seat maps of these aircraft may have been loaded by mistake or as a placeholder. By the time the flight operates it may be changed to one of their regular J12 77Ws.
Many thanks! The seat map for our flight is on to its 4th iteration. I have an aircraft change alert set in expertflyer so I have been keeping an eye on the changes.
Old Jul 3, 2023, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

https://www.aeroroutes.com/eng/230703-svaug23777

Looks like it is official for the SV826/823 rotation to Jakarta from early August.
NZZO likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2023, 5:22 am

Programs: QR Gold, WY Gold, TK Elite, EY Silver,
Originally Posted by B7474U3
https://www.aeroroutes.com/eng/230703-svaug23777

Looks like it is official for the SV826/823 rotation to Jakarta from early August.
Would be interesting to know how the J cabin is settled, ever travelled on the small one with 12 seat (2 rows 2+2+2) and it was still OK.
Maybe this one to be employed for the peak of Haj season?
Old Aug 23, 2023, 1:06 pm

Has anyone already flown in these aircrafts, and do you have any cabin pictures available for both economy and business classes? I would love to hear about the experience.
Old Aug 25, 2023, 8:49 pm

Our flight CGK-JED is in 60 days and still scheduled to be on this variant. I will endeavour to get pics if no one posts any before we fly.
atflyer and cmoltisanti like this.
Old Sep 8, 2023, 12:30 am

Here is a picture of the economy class in SV823
Old Sep 8, 2023, 6:46 pm

Thanks for posting. Looks like the EK seats have been retained. I guess that explains the 2-3-2 layout for the 2 rows in the business cabin. I won’t be unhappy to have ex-EK business seats for our CGK-JED flight next month.
Old Sep 11, 2023, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by NZZO
Thanks for posting. Looks like the EK seats have been retained. I guess that explains the 2-3-2 layout for the 2 rows in the business cabin. I wonít be unhappy to have ex-EK business seats for our CGK-JED flight next month.
I've actually never seen an EK 777 with two rows of Business Class, does that even exist? it might be a modified plane.
Old Sep 11, 2023, 5:56 pm

There are versions with a mini cabin of 2 rows, but I was meaning they may have kept the EK seats and the 2-3-2 layout, and modified the aircraft to just have two rows in J.
Old Sep 12, 2023, 12:31 am

Just got off the 9H-AZE from CGK to JED in Business Class. The plane is an old Emirates plane that has not been modified. The 2-3-2 chairs are all angle lie flat. One side of the business class is being closed after take off for crew rest, so technically there are only 10 business class spaces. The onboard IFE is not working, but a WIFI box is placed on board so that movies can be streamed directly to your device. Onboard catering remains the same as other Saudia flights.

I’ve personally flown Saudia quite a few times on their A320 (lie flat), A321 (New one), 777 and 787 and have always had a good experience with them. The hard product on this leased plane is a downgrade, considering the other products I know of Saudia
NZZO and cmoltisanti like this.
Old Sep 16, 2023, 1:59 am
Original Poster

Iíve just flown on 9H-AZE and the experience wasnít a good one - a shame considering the experience on Saudiaís own 777s and 787 was very good.

The aircraft is leased from Air Atlanta having previously flown for Royal Flight (a Russian airline) and Emirates before that (I believe it was 42J and 386Y with Emirates and then reconfigured to the 14J version when it passed to Royal Flight).

As noted in a previous post, the cabin has two rows of 2-3-2. The right hand side is blocked off for crew rest so in effect there are two rows of 2-3.

The cabin looks tired and in need of a refresh and new carpets. The toilets looked in good condition though (although one appeared to be out of service for the flight).

The in-built entertainment system was not operational but you could connect your own device to the wi-fi based entertainment system. I didnít try since I wanted to sleep so I canít comment on how it compares to Saudiaís normal in flight entertainment.

The service was disappointing. The menu was the normal Saudia menu but I didnít see a chef on this flight. The mezze was served on one plate rather than individual bowls like other flights so the presentation didnít look good.

And finallyÖthe seat! It is the old Emirates angle flat seat. The back went down to around 170 degrees but the leg rest didnít appear to come up as much as it should have done (perhaps a 60-70 degree angle) so it meant sleeping on my side in a Z like position. It wasnít flat - even at an angle. I thought my seat may have been broken but when I looked opposite some other passengers appeared to be sleeping in a similar position so Iím assuming that is how the seats are designed? (The only other time Iíve flown this product was on Emirates around 10 years ago so I canít remember what it was like back then). That said, I did manage to get quite a lot of sleep on this flight.

It is a shame since other than this flight I thought Saudia were quite impressive - great seats (especially the 787), excellent catering, friendly and professional crew, excellent service (in particular the chefs) and a nice lounge with lots of decent food options in Jeddah (including someone making omelettes in the morning and pizza in the evening).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.