Wiki Posts
Search

FlySafair & flexibility for missing connection

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2023, 6:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT / 2MM
FlySafair & flexibility for missing connection

Hi, we're landing at CPT on 5:10pm on UA 1122, and trying to get to JNB that evening.

Thinking of booking CPT-JNB on FlySafair because they have the most flights, which gives us the most flexibility in case we miss our connection. Is that smart? We won't have checked bags. Should we buy the 6:30pm flight or the 7:25pm flight?

If we miss our connection, how "flexible" will they be with flat tire rule stuff? There's also an 8:00pm and 8:50pm flight. Will they just put us on one of those, or will they try to charge us some full fare?

Thanks so much!
Old May 19, 2023, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by LAX_Esq
If we miss our connection, how "flexible" will they be with flat tire rule stuff? There's also an 8:00pm and 8:50pm flight. Will they just put us on one of those, or will they try to charge us some full fare?
They will be zero flexible. You buy it, you fly it. Missed flight means buying a new ticket.
Old May 20, 2023, 2:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by B747-437B
They will be zero flexible. You buy it, you fly it. Missed flight means buying a new ticket.
Indeed. The flat tyre rule is a US thing that much of the world doesn’t really follow. I’d book the 8pm as a result.
B747-437B likes this.
Old May 20, 2023, 12:39 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Indeed. The flat tyre rule is a US thing that much of the world doesn’t really follow. I’d book the 8pm as a result.
I know I can be overly conservative but I always book an overnight connection when I arrive in South Africa and connect to another airline on separate tickets. I don't know what the airport hotel situation is in CPT but it is very doable in JNB.
Old May 21, 2023, 7:23 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
Agree that they are unlikely to be flexible outside of North America. I have had the odd agent go out of their way, but I wouldn't expect it. I would personally book for the latest flight of the night. What is the change fee for the ticket? If you realize you are going to miss the connection another option would be to change to a later flight while you are en-route which shouldn't be an issue as long as this is done before departure and there are seats on a later flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.