Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other Middle Eastern and African Airlines
Reload this Page >

oman free hotel program, lounge questions, what to do on layover?

oman free hotel program, lounge questions, what to do on layover?

Old Feb 16, 2023, 3:30 am

ofc! Some other things worth mentioning, as @qraec777 mentioned earlier there are limited nap rooms in the WY J lounge, but it's looks just as limited at the primeclass lounge (didn't count, but certainly <10). If the prime class is full, and WY J not comfortable enough, there is also an aerotel nearby that you can grab a 6-hour room for like ~60usd iirc (for a short while tho WY J nap rooms seemed comfortable enough, but depends on what you need to comfortably sleep)

also worth noting at the primeclass lounge, if you take a room there, they hold your boarding ticket hostage (I guess they had issues with people not returning the room keys). Definitely felt funny handing over an F ticket for a priority pass lounge, but they gave back my ticket as they said. (maybe I'm paranoid, but I wouldn't leave last min in case of a missing ticket)
Old Feb 16, 2023, 3:39 am

Originally Posted by Squashyy
ofc! Some other things worth mentioning, as @qraec777 mentioned earlier there are limited nap rooms in the WY J lounge, but it's looks just as limited at the primeclass lounge (didn't count, but certainly <10). If the prime class is full, and WY J not comfortable enough, there is also an aerotel nearby that you can grab a 6-hour room for like ~60usd iirc (for a short while tho WY J nap rooms seemed comfortable enough, but depends on what you need to comfortably sleep)

also worth noting at the primeclass lounge, if you take a room there, they hold your boarding ticket hostage (I guess they had issues with people not returning the room keys). Definitely felt funny handing over an F ticket for a priority pass lounge, but they gave back my ticket as they said. (maybe I'm paranoid, but I wouldn't leave last min in case of a missing ticket)

Oh interesting, I've never heard of them holding your boarding pass before. I guess I'll sleep first if I need to go there so I wont have any issues with late boarding. Aerotel is a good alternative, if both aren't good enough for a sleep, didn't realize it was airside!
Old Feb 16, 2023, 4:21 am

Originally Posted by link2110
Oh interesting, I've never heard of them holding your boarding pass before. I guess I'll sleep first if I need to go there so I wont have any issues with late boarding. Aerotel is a good alternative, if both aren't good enough for a sleep, didn't realize it was airside!
Yep, the aerotel is airside! and the other 2 lounges are right next to it!

As for sleep, as long as you get a room in the primeclass, you'll probably sleep just fine, it's like any other hotel (and all the sheets/room looked very clean)

almost forgot, don't forget to check out the free massage chairs in the primeclass lounge, they are honestly quite nice, and no-one was using them even tho the lounge was quite busy (probably cuz they were tucked away in a corner) Honestly I prefer it to the real 15 min spa I got in the WY lounge cuz she went a bit too hard on my foot and then kept on trying to upsell me
Old May 21, 2023, 10:10 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, KQ Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Gold, Choice Gold
Thanks for all the really useful information about their lounges. I have a question about lounge access.

My adult daughter and I are due to fly with Oman Air later this year (me in J, her in Y) on the same flights. Am I able to guest her into the Muscat lounge during our brief stopovers, and also the contract lounges in KUL and IST pre-departure/s? I don’t have Sindbad status.
Old May 22, 2023, 1:36 am

It's not clearly stated, so you may want to try your luck, but I really don't think your j tix will give her access, but seems you may be able to purchase access?

assuming you have priority pass, the primeclass lounge is great, and if you ok with being seperated, while she enjoys her stay there (which to this day I think it's the best priority pass lounge I've ever been to) just hop on over to the Oman air J lounge to have thier better food.

​​​​
Old May 25, 2023, 8:22 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
@ Domestic Goddess : where WY’s dedicated MCT lounge is concerned, I’m afraid it’s unlikely that your daughter would be granted access, as guesting privileges are granted only to Sindbad Gold members. Sindbad members holding Gold or Silver can access the lounge in their own right even when travelling Y, but you say that neither of you has status. WY lounge staff tend to stick to the rules and there are no pay-to-enter options. So ….. as already advised, your best bet is to try the very well-regarded Prime Class lounge if feasible (am not familiar with their precise eligibility criteria myself)

As for KUL & IST : am pretty sure that both the contract lounges DO accept pay-to-enter guests (ref your daughter) and of course you yourself would be granted access by virtue of your J class ticket.

Oman Air are a quality outfit and do a fine job overall - have a great trip
Old Aug 5, 2023, 4:30 pm
Original Poster

i'll be on WY J with an 23:30 arrival and 08:40 departure, it sounds like sleeping rooms are best at the primeclass lounge accessed with priority pass? looks like the airside business lounge is open 24/7 so i could get a late night snack as well as breakfast there? although arguably best to just head to primeclass to try and secure a room?

i have WY F on the return with an 06:45 arrival and 21:10 departure. will the F lounge be open the entire time? that's 7am arrival to 9pm departure really, seems i could do breakfast at the lounge and leave by 9am, poke around muscat, return by 6pm to have a dinner in the lounge and plenty of time to chill then hop on the flight... on that note anything i should go out to see in muscat vs. just hang out in the F lounge all day?
Old Aug 6, 2023, 10:55 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
@ sickmint79 - I have made good use of the Oman Air lounges over a number of years…… but (pleasant though they are), I could never see myself choosing to voluntarily ‘hang out’ there all day, in preference to spending time in one of the most interesting and attractive cities in the Gulf region : no lack of stuff to see & do in Muscat !

Assuming (?) that you’re not familiar with the city, you might wish to arrange a half-day guided tour (ideally with a small group, or even private if preferred) Just a few highlights worthy of mention are the impressive Sultan Qaboos Grand Mosque, the Royal Opera House, and the souk in Muttrah. The city is characterised by an attractive blend of traditional heritage with a (mostly !) efficient, modern infrastructure. It is very safe and has a welcoming atmosphere for any visitors who show due respect for local culture.

Plenty more suggestions / info here https://www.lonelyplanet.com/oman/muscat

Ref WY’s lounge opening hours …..yes, 24/7 availability (although there may possibly be some restrictions for the dedicated F lounge linked to schedules of those flights which carry a F cabin …… perhaps other FT-ers can clarify)

PS - given the length of your (daytime) layover, you actually have time to get out into the desert for a taste of rural Oman and its mountain landscape. Go for it !
sickmint79 likes this.

Last edited by subject2load; Aug 6, 2023 at 11:15 am Reason: addition
Old Dec 15, 2023, 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by Squashyy
Now that I've flown this route, I can give some updates!

The primeclass lounge did let me in, and for 9 hours (seemingly swiping priority pass 3 times). The private rooms are fantastic with a nice view and a good bed! Worth noting there is an airside aerotel that seems nice as well!

As for the first class lounge, they definitely did a double take when they saw my 20+ hour layover and had to call someone over after letting me into the first class lounge! But for as long I as there, they were keeping it staffed!

On the first day, I essentially had an attendant to myself, which was an absolutely fantastic experience. Some of the best food I've ever had, and I don't say that lightly (menu not as varied as EK/EY first lounges but the food quality is easily on par with Michelin-star restaurant food). Hands down the best lounge I've ever been to, easily better than EK/EY first lounge.

downsides: no $300+ bottles of alc in lounge (that others have reported earlier, probably between alc shipments), the amenity kit was lacking any Amouage fragrances, and when asked they said it was due to "covid" (when I asked another they admitted it was just temporarily out of stock). Overall lack of consistency seems to be their downside.

I am considering flying BKK-MCT-LHR in F. I am reading that Oman air's F is only marginally better than J. Is that true? Is it worth spending the extra $$ for First? Also is the F lounge night and day better than J in Muscat?
Old Dec 22, 2023, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

the lounge is smaller and definitely more exclusive, most people use it for a domestic flight to salalah,

i paid 20k extra aeroplan miles to get MCT-BKK upgraded. dunno how many dollars it would be for your itinerary but can say i'd be perfectly happy to do the trip in business.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.