Air Seychelles Domestic Flight (SEZ-PRI-SEZ)

Old Jun 2, 2022, 1:55 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Programs: QR Platinum / SQ Gold
Posts: 146
Air Seychelles Domestic Flight (SEZ-PRI-SEZ)

I will travel with Qatar Airways in Business Class to SEZ in October (Asia-DOH-SEZ). We want to connect immediately to a domestic flight (separate ticket) to Praslin, the same for our return journey.
So we will have two separate ticket (Asia-DOH-SEZ return) and a domestic ticket (SEZ-PRI return). Our arrival with QR into SEZ is at 08:30 (Inbound flight) and our departure with QR is at 23:55 (Outbound flight). How much time between international arrival and domestic departure respectively domestic arrival and international departure do I need to calculate.

I am less concerned for our arrival connection (as we travel business class I hope we are quick with immigration) and in worst case if we miss our domestic flight we need to rebook. However for our return journey I want to ensure we dont face any issues. Are domestic flights sometimes cancelled (e.g. bad weather etc.).

I plan to book the following flights:
SEZ-PRI Departure 10:25 (with QR arrival at 08:30)
PRI-SEZ Arrival 20:30 (with QR departure at 20:55) > for this flight there are 3 more domestic flights (PRI-SEZ) this evening. Would you take a flight earlier which lands 1 hour earlier in SEZ (19:30). As we travelling with a toddler I dont want to spend too much time in SEZ at the airport but still have safety for our QR departure flight.
Yenakad is offline  
Old Jun 2, 2022, 10:10 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NRT / HND
Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Posts: 5,457
Originally Posted by Yenakad
I will travel with Qatar Airways in Business Class to SEZ in October (Asia-DOH-SEZ). We want to connect immediately to a domestic flight (separate ticket) to Praslin, the same for our return journey.
So we will have two separate ticket (Asia-DOH-SEZ return) and a domestic ticket (SEZ-PRI return). Our arrival with QR into SEZ is at 08:30 (Inbound flight) and our departure with QR is at 23:55 (Outbound flight). How much time between international arrival and domestic departure respectively domestic arrival and international departure do I need to calculate.

I am less concerned for our arrival connection (as we travel business class I hope we are quick with immigration) and in worst case if we miss our domestic flight we need to rebook. However for our return journey I want to ensure we dont face any issues. Are domestic flights sometimes cancelled (e.g. bad weather etc.).

I plan to book the following flights:
SEZ-PRI Departure 10:25 (with QR arrival at 08:30)
PRI-SEZ Arrival 20:30 (with QR departure at 20:55) > for this flight there are 3 more domestic flights (PRI-SEZ) this evening. Would you take a flight earlier which lands 1 hour earlier in SEZ (19:30). As we travelling with a toddler I dont want to spend too much time in SEZ at the airport but still have safety for our QR departure flight.
Holy cow, I wouldn't even contemplate a 25 minute transfer.

It doesn't matter if your flight is on time, QR check in will be long closed and you'll be stuck on Mahe for a night. (SEZ's island). I'm not exactly sure QR's check in and baggage cut-off time but let's assume 1 hour. Will you have luggage from the PRI-SEZ flight? If so you'll need to pick it up at the domestic arrivals and carry it to the international departures. It's been a few years now but last time I was in SEZ, departure check-in was an absolute mess as was security to enter the gate. I'd want 3 hours between those flights to be safe. Yeah, it's a crap airport and I wouldn't want to be there longer than necessary either, but since you have a flight and aren't just driving from across the island I'd be very cautious.

I'm very comfortable pushing the envelope in many places in the world but SEZ isn't a place I'd do it again. We arrived at the check in counter 1hr20m before scheduled departure and was still nearly denied boarding, they'd actually closed check in already and had to reopen it just for us, to add insult to injury had given our seat assignments away too. (Wasn't QR, but I imagine the same contractors work every flight that's not HM) I've never once heard of an airline closing out a flight that early before scheduled departure, but they seem to do things their own way there.

It's also one of the more PITA countries I've been to for entry immigration. I think you have enough time, but just because you're in business class, don't let it give you a false sense of security, there could be another plane landing 20 mins before you. It's (I believe) the ONLY country ever that's asked for proof of return ticket and hotel reservation at immigration. Of course many countries say they have the right to ask, but usually when immigration officers see US and Japanese passports, that's a question they typically don't feel is necessary, neither is known to be prone to illegal immigration or perpetual overstayers. It only added a few extra mins to dig papers out, but wasn't something I was prepared for.

Seychelles is a place I loved and would like to go back to, but don't underestimate the airport experience there.
dvs7310 is offline  
Old Jun 2, 2022, 2:18 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Programs: QR Platinum / SQ Gold
Posts: 146
Originally Posted by dvs7310
Holy cow, I wouldn't even contemplate a 25 minute transfer.
haha, fully agree. Please apologize my typo. My QR departure is 23:55. Slightly more time to transfer ;-)

So we are looking at 3 hours 25 minutes between domestic and international. Which I strongly believe is enough however do we need to factor the risk of cancelled flights (PRI-SEZ) due to bad weather or other circumstances?

for our arrival into SEZ and transfer to our domestic flight I am looking at approx. 2.5 hours.

Many thanks for sharing your expierence of SEZ airport and the immigration.
Yenakad is offline  
Old Jun 3, 2022, 5:51 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NRT / HND
Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Posts: 5,457
Originally Posted by Yenakad
haha, fully agree. Please apologize my typo. My QR departure is 23:55. Slightly more time to transfer ;-)

So we are looking at 3 hours 25 minutes between domestic and international. Which I strongly believe is enough however do we need to factor the risk of cancelled flights (PRI-SEZ) due to bad weather or other circumstances?

for our arrival into SEZ and transfer to our domestic flight I am looking at approx. 2.5 hours.

Many thanks for sharing your expierence of SEZ airport and the immigration.
LOL, yeah 3hr 25m is plenty on the return assuming what you mentioned doesn't happen, the dreaded cancellation. No one can possibly predict that until perhaps the day of if weather related and if mechanical then that's just a roll of the dice. Personally I'd do it, I've done similar dozens of times, taking the last flight of the day into a city where I have a connection on separate tickets, but it's always a risk, so have to weigh your tolerance for risk as well as flexibility to add a day or two to your trip.

I've only had it backfire once on a UA flight, thankfully though I had 1K status at the time and they heavily bent the rules for me to put me on the next days flight (the one on a separate ticket) without penalty. That's not something you can count on every time, I could have also gotten an unsympathetic agent and stuck with a $2,000 fare difference, but UA 1K service is really excellent in most cases.

The 2.5 hrs on arrival wouldn't worry me a bit. I actually looked at the SEZ arrivals schedule, it looks like there's an HM A320 flight from Israel about 45 mins or so before you and Emirates about 2 hours before you. If Emirates were heavily delayed and landed just before you then it'll slow things down quite a lot but most likely you'll have a clear or nearly clear arrivals hall. In that case too, if you miss it from some fluke, there are more flights to PRI in the day.
dvs7310 is offline  
Old Jun 4, 2022, 12:37 pm
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Canada
Programs: UA*1K MM
Posts: 23,233
This is pre covid, so no idea how the entry procedures are affected now.

Arrived on TK (business class means nothing btw, if other planes just landed in front of you) - were through pretty quick tho, pretty sure that HM just let us go on the next available flight with empty seats for free even though we had booked a later one (check if thats still the practice).

On the way back, we had 3 hours, and it was more than enough.

If you are looking for a transfer service on Praslin, checkout Coconut Services.
rankourabu is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.