OW Royal Jordanian 1 hr connection in Amman ?

Old Apr 12, 2022, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: Platinum Pro. .Hilton Honors Gold,
OW Royal Jordanian 1 hr connection in Amman ?

Iím using miles for OW to DXB. My options both Royal Jordanian are ORD - AMN-DXB with a 1 hr connection in Amman or should I go JFK-AMN-DXB with a 1:20 hr connection time in Amman ?
Im a solo traveler with carryon bags. I donít imagine Amman airport being that big and feel I would be good either way. I move fast and think Iíll be good. I visualize sitting in J on the 787 as close as possible to door 2L. Go thru customs then back upstairs to departures.
Is 1 hr enough time or would you take 1hr20min ? Or are neither enough ?
Old Apr 12, 2022, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by D3KingAmerican
Iím using miles for OW to DXB. My options both Royal Jordanian are ORD - AMN-DXB with a 1 hr connection in Amman or should I go JFK-AMN-DXB with a 1:20 hr connection time in Amman ?
Im a solo traveler with carryon bags. I donít imagine Amman airport being that big and feel I would be good either way. I move fast and think Iíll be good. I visualize sitting in J on the 787 as close as possible to door 2L. Go thru customs then back upstairs to departures.
1 hr. should be fine. Get off the plane, re-clear security, go to the next gate. Check out the last post in this thread.

Connecting in Amman with Royal Jordanian
Old Apr 12, 2022, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
1 hr. should be fine. Get off the plane, re-clear security, go to the next gate. Check out the last post in this thread.

Connecting in Amman with Royal Jordanian
Thanks
Old Apr 12, 2022, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

Anyways the reservation did not go thru with AA. I called in and sounds like RJ hasnít set its schedule yet for the fall. Itís 5 months out. I can also fly QR in the worlds greatest economy for 14-15 hrs 🥴. Itís a long way out there will be options.
Old Apr 12, 2022, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

I booked an award from JFK -AMM-DBX instead of ORD and this time it went through on Royal Jordanian for this fall. The connection time is 1hr25mn in Amman so no problem.
Old Apr 15, 2022, 12:36 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Also - it's AMM not AMN. AMN is in Michigan in the US.
Old Apr 30, 2022, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Palal
Also - it's AMM not AMN. AMN is in Michigan in the US.
oh ok. AMM.
Old May 1, 2022, 4:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Big decisions: Should I choose between a 1h or 1h20m connection?
Old Feb 15, 2024, 12:52 pm

Same Boat- 50 minute layover vs 75 minute in AMM

Originally Posted by D3Kingg
I’m using miles for OW to DXB. My options both Royal Jordanian are ORD - AMN-DXB with a 1 hr connection in Amman or should I go JFK-AMN-DXB with a 1:20 hr connection time in Amman ?
Im a solo traveler with carryon bags. I don’t imagine Amman airport being that big and feel I would be good either way. I move fast and think I’ll be good. I visualize sitting in J on the 787 as close as possible to door 2L. Go thru customs then back upstairs to departures.
Long time member on FlyerTalk, but got locked out of my account and had to start new.

I am in the same boat. I have two options-: RDU-ORD-AMM-DXB with 50 minute layover in AMM or RDU-JFK-AMM-DXB with 75 minute (1 hr 15 min) layover in AMM

I would really prefer the ORD-AMM-DXB route (because my ORD layover would only be 2 hours instead of a 7 hour layover in JFK), but the 50 minute layover in AMM scares me. Would the extra 25 minutes in AMM be worth it?

I see a lot of posts saying that 45+ minutes in AMM should be fine to make a RJ-RJ connection, but I also see that the inbound flight from the US is often delayed.

For anyone that has done ORD-AMM-DXB, am I overthinking this?

I would be fully booked on RJ.

Last edited by WVUFLYEER13; Feb 15, 2024 at 1:03 pm Reason: Spelling
Old Feb 16, 2024, 8:55 pm

Programs: EK Gold, QR Gold, Delta Silver Medallion, BAEC Bronze
I think you should be just fine. If you end up missing the flight, you'll automatically be rebooked onto the next RJ flight to DXB but that's unlikely to happen and you should be able to make it onto the flight. bonus points if you're in J, in which case, you can just relax in the lounge for a while before the next flight.
Old May 13, 2024, 7:43 am

Update on AMM Connection Times

Yes, 1he 1 hr 15 minutes was enough and we did make our connection. So it did work out, but it was tight as expected. As a transit passenger (connection), you have to go through a security checkpoint and they were being very strict and slow in checking bags/electronics. Each one of our carry-on bags was hand-searched after going through x-ray machines and each one of our laptops have to be swiped for explosives. By the time we got through the security checkpoint, went to the washroom, grabbed a drink/snacks from a store, and walked to the gate; they were already boarding the next flight (45 minutes prior to takeoff) . I never felt worried about missing the connection, but it was close, mainly due to the security officers being so slow. Had the flight been delayed it may have been a different story.

On the return trip (DXB-AMM-ORD), the transit security checkpoint was much quicker, but time wasn't an issue for us because the layover was over 2 hours. Also on a side note, on that particular route (AMM to ORD), we had to go through a 2nd security checkpoint to access the boarding area of the gate. I've never seen a gate have its own security screening. Im guessing this was only for US-bound flights. Luckily the security at this checkpoint wasn't as strict as the transit security checkpoint (no hand searching or explosive testing) and the line went fast. It's also where they verified our passports prior to boarding. Good thing is there are washrooms and a small store within this secured area.

Last edited by WVUFLYEER13; May 13, 2024 at 9:59 am Reason: missed words

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.