Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ET Adjacent Seat Block for *G Passengers?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2022, 3:14 am
Original Poster

ET Adjacent Seat Block for *G Passengers?

I'll be flying ET in Economy next month for the first time since pre-pandemic and just realized that upon selecting seat for each flight (4 international segments to be precise), the adjacent seat is still showing available - typically not the case previously.

In the past, as a *G status holder the adjacent seat was shown blocked once the seat selection was complete, unless the flight was full. Not any more. Just for curiosity, have they stopped this service? That was one huge advantage on flying Ethiopian so comfortably...
Old Mar 19, 2022, 3:31 am

Originally Posted by sushimaru
Just for curiosity, have they stopped this service?
It hasn't been in place for about 3 years now (pre-pandemic). However, they will sell you the adjacent seat if available (and at a discount for *G I believe).
Old Mar 19, 2022, 3:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by B747-437B
It hasn't been in place for about 3 years now (pre-pandemic). However, they will sell you the adjacent seat if available (and at a discount for *G I believe).
Thanks. It was April 2019 last time I flew with them and they still offered the service. That explains.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 4:01 am

Originally Posted by sushimaru
Thanks. It was April 2019 last time I flew with them and they still offered the service. That explains.
Keep in mind that *G can usually (on narrow-bodies at least) select "premium" seats for free that regular passengers are charged for. That means you will almost always have an empty seat next to you anyway.
sushimaru likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2022, 6:44 am
Original Poster

An update:

Checking the seatmap, I could confirm that the outbound and the connecting flights both have my adjacent seat blocked. It happened 72hrs before departure. Now I remember that even in the past, the adjacent seat block only took place during this time frame, not before that. So yes, the practice is still observed!
W126Pilot likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 1:03 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Late last year when I was due to be flying in Y, after selecting my seats right at the very back, when I looked at the seatmap on the ET App, the seats next to me had ‘been taken’. This was in a row of three with me being in an aisle seat. When I checked on Expertflyer, the seat was actually blocked. Thought that was quite a nice touch but not sure if it’s a standard *A ET Silver perk. In the end I had to cancel the flights so didn’t see if it would have stuck.
W126Pilot likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 6:06 am

Interesting. I guess I haven't flown alone in Y on ET (my solo trips have all been in C and I've always had someone with me when in Y) for the last few years.
Old May 2, 2022, 7:15 am

Programs: AA, FB, UA
In economy I can usually see the seat block next to me on Ethiopian. I’ve usually had luck asking agents to block the seat next to me in business too..
W126Pilot likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2022, 4:01 am

Programs: A3 Gold; FB Gold; Hertz Gold
Just a quick additional data point on this based on recent flights OSL-ARN-ADD-DAR-ADD-ARN in the past 3 weeks.

My wife and I are both A3 Golds and, in Y, the middle seat between us was blocked on all 5 legs. Nice poor man's business class, especially on the final ADD-ARN leg which had just 4 open seats in Y on the flight.

Happy to see that this benefit is still there.
B747-437B and sal77 like this.
Old Aug 30, 2022, 8:05 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
I've had this not only on ET. TP used to do the same as well. Not sure if this is still the case.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.