Wiki Posts
Search

Ethiopian overnight hotel service

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2021, 2:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK*G
Ethiopian overnight hotel service

I have an overnight in Addis on Wednesday and was wondering if anyone has used the Ethiopian transfer service recently, or if I should book a hotel myself – don't want to spend 12h at the airport. I understand they provide this free at a desk when you land, but I don't know if it has changed due to Covid.
Old Sep 18, 2021, 12:20 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
No changes. You'll get the skylight hotel which is quite nice. They offer a shuttle service but it's walkable (10 min) if you don't have much luggage.
Old Sep 18, 2021, 1:02 am

You should get your hotel voucher at check-in at the originating station, or you can retrieve it AFTER YOU CHECK-IN via the "Feel Addis" tab on the mobile app.

Don't try walking to Skylight as they will not let you in as a pedestrian without a lot of explanation due to their COVID protocols in place.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 8:19 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
Has anyone had or seen the overnight hotel service offered for an itinerary of 25 hours as an exception or by policy? I know the rule is usually 24 hours although for a flight later this week IAD - ADD - VFA ET moved back by a day the ADD - VFA segment now causing an overnight and a 25.5 hour layover in ADD instead of the 1.5 hour layover scheduled. Will the overnight hotel service be made available or are we stuck on our own to purchase the transit visas, hotel, food, etc.? Any data points or thoughts from frequent Ethiopian Airlines members would be appreciated.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 4:26 am

Originally Posted by beofotch
Has anyone had or seen the overnight hotel service offered for an itinerary of 25 hours as an exception or by policy? I know the rule is usually 24 hours although for a flight later this week IAD - ADD - VFA ET moved back by a day the ADD - VFA segment now causing an overnight and a 25.5 hour layover in ADD instead of the 1.5 hour layover scheduled. Will the overnight hotel service be made available or are we stuck on our own to purchase the transit visas, hotel, food, etc.? Any data points or thoughts from frequent Ethiopian Airlines members would be appreciated.
You would not be entitled to it as a transit passenger, but you could request it due to the flight cancellation. Just stress that point to them ("my flight was cancelled and the next flight is only tomorrow") and they will sort you out most likely. They may have actually already issued your voucher automatically when they rebooked you, so check the "Feel Addis" tab in the mobile app after you OLCI to see if the voucher is available at that time. Otherwise request at IAD check-in counter.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 8:49 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by B747-437B
You would not be entitled to it as a transit passenger, but you could request it due to the flight cancellation. Just stress that point to them ("my flight was cancelled and the next flight is only tomorrow") and they will sort you out most likely. They may have actually already issued your voucher automatically when they rebooked you, so check the "Feel Addis" tab in the mobile app after you OLCI to see if the voucher is available at that time. Otherwise request at IAD check-in counter.
Thank you for the helpful response. I will give it a try and worst case would be happy to pay the $70 to have them arrange everything for us even if not complimentary.

Another question - if we are flying IAD - ADD - VFA and the ADD layover is 25 hours and we take advantage of the free or paid $70 transfer service from Ethiopian Airlines at IAD do we still check our bags all the way to VFA or would we have to pick up the bags for the ADD layover? We would prefer to just check the bags and see them on arrival in VFA just not sure this is possible when using the transit desk. Any data points appreciated.
B747-437B likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by beofotch
Another question - if we are flying IAD - ADD - VFA and the ADD layover is 25 hours and we take advantage of the free or paid $70 transfer service from Ethiopian Airlines at IAD do we still check our bags all the way to VFA or would we have to pick up the bags for the ADD layover? We would prefer to just check the bags and see them on arrival in VFA just not sure this is possible when using the transit desk. Any data points appreciated.
Just ask them for what you want regarding baggage. They are usually happy to check bags to Addis or final destination or a combination of both (viz. some bags to ADD, some to VFA).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.