Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other Middle Eastern and African Airlines
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Availabily on Ethiopian Airlines in J

Star Alliance Award Availabily on Ethiopian Airlines in J

Old Jan 4, 2024, 12:57 pm

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by amejr999
This seems to be fixed now, finally.
And it was very timely as I had a flight on 01JAN and only noticed this on the 30DEC.
Old Jan 23, 2024, 2:02 pm

Did someone know if ET realese more Awards for partners last minute? Im looking for M&M availability on feb 16th ex EU for two. Unfortunately there is only one available from CDG and one from FRA. On any other day in february there are two available, but Im not flexible with dates

Last edited by ICPUI; Jan 23, 2024 at 2:12 pm
Old Jan 26, 2024, 1:28 pm

Programs: Eurobonus
Not sure, but I don't think so - they prefer to sell available seats fairly cheap in the auction. Which means that they sell their award seats to partners for less
Old Jan 29, 2024, 3:09 am

Does anyone know the specific UTC time ET will make their award tickets available? I was expecting 00:00 local time (according to western clock), but the "tickets of the day" wasn't visible until at least half a day later, maybe UTC+14? Or is it linked to a local clock 6AM/6PM point in time?
Old Jan 29, 2024, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by Jetboi
Does anyone know the specific UTC time ET will make their award tickets available? I was expecting 00:00 local time (according to western clock), but the "tickets of the day" wasn't visible until at least half a day later, maybe UTC+14? Or is it linked to a local clock 6AM/6PM point in time?
Should be US Central Time as inventory is hosted on SABRE.
Jetboi likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2024, 11:19 am

BTW, do any other programs have the 9/5 ET bug? With Eurobonus, we often see 9 og 5 available in C/J, which is of course not the fact. Some award search engines even remove these results from the search. SAS and the engines all use the same data, i.e SAS provides an API.

Is it just EB/SAS?
Hafnia likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2024, 7:51 pm

Hoping for more seats!

Booked ICN-ADD 2 business seats, need 3rd seat. The availability cleared and nothing available now. The flight is 9 months out so I'm hoping Ethiopian Airlines will release another seat at some point. I'll keep tracking. Any idea the odds they'll release another seat?
Old Mar 11, 2024, 2:29 am

Originally Posted by Danalexander
Booked ICN-ADD 2 business seats, need 3rd seat. The availability cleared and nothing available now. The flight is 9 months out so I'm hoping Ethiopian Airlines will release another seat at some point. I'll keep tracking. Any idea the odds they'll release another seat?
Slim to none, but non-zero.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 1:58 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat
Phantom Availability?

Hi,
I've spent the past two days searching for flights, finding availability on UA and then running into various issues that won't let me book.

I can see the routing that I'm looking for show up in the UA search (and also AC search). I try to add to my cart on UA and get an error message about real time availability changing and the flights are no longer available. I can search each individual segment using the multi-city and they are all able to be added to my cart. So, that would lead me to believe that the space is actually there. But, the problem is that it's pricing it as cumulative award pricing instead of the one-way pricing. So, I called UA and asked them to book it over the phone. They were then saying that they couldn't see availability at all on some segments and only 1 passenger (I'm looking for 2) on other segments. I HUCA and get a slightly similar story, but different specifics.

At this point, I'm feeling pretty defeated because I don't know what else I'm supposed to do. Here are a couple different example routings that I'm looking at:

Oct 5 - JFK-MAN (EI)
Oct 6 - MAN-ADD-JRO (ET)

I can search on UA and see this come up in the search results and price as a one way award for 88k points. I click on it, and get an error. If I use multi-city and put in each of those segments in, I can add them to the cart without issue. If I change it to be 1 passenger for the one way search, I can see it in the search results and add it to the cart.

Another one:

Oct 6 - YUL-ZRH (LX)
Oct 7- ZRH-MXP(LX)-ADD-JRO (ET)

Again, shows up in the one way search but when I try to add it to the cart, it errors out. I look it up through multi-city and the YUL-ZRH adds to the cart without issue. Second leg of ZRH-MXP-ADD-JRO errors out.

In addition to those things above, I'm seeing different availability on ET award flights between UA website and AC website. What does that mean? Are either correct?

Any suggestions on how to get these to book through either United or Air Canada? I'll be transferring points into one of these two programs for booking, so I'm happy to book through either but am hitting dead end after dead end.

Thanks!!
Old Mar 25, 2024, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by SkinsFan0521
Another one:

Oct 6 - YUL-ZRH (LX)
Oct 7- ZRH-MXP(LX)-ADD-JRO (ET)

Again, shows up in the one way search but when I try to add it to the cart, it errors out. I look it up through multi-city and the YUL-ZRH adds to the cart without issue. Second leg of ZRH-MXP-ADD-JRO errors out.

In addition to those things above, I'm seeing different availability on ET award flights between UA website and AC website. What does that mean? Are either correct?

Any suggestions on how to get these to book through either United or Air Canada? I'll be transferring points into one of these two programs for booking, so I'm happy to book through either but am hitting dead end after dead end.

Thanks!!
You cant book EI on Air Canada - so thats out.
The second itinerary would be bookable by phone. However if its phantom, there is no way of getting your points back out of Aeroplan.

My suggestion is to call Aeroplan (if you can get through) and see if its actually bookable. AMEX points transfer instantly, so once confirmed and priced out, you can do it on the spot.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 6:09 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
SkinsFan0521 -

I don't see any flights for two passengers in business from YUL to JRO iny time in October 2024. I know they did exist at one time as I booked ET award flights to/from there in mid September and returning on October 1 for my wife and I.

If you have Aeroplan miles/points and they can construct itineraries on award flights, I wood try FT member ckpeter's Award Nexus. You can get a free FT account set up on his site and do limited but totally free award searches on AC and NH. It has been my experience that his tool doesn't show phantom awards. This assumes you can feed an Aeroplan agent an award itinerary segment by segment.

Star Alliance/Oneworld Award Planning with Award Nexus
Old Mar 28, 2024, 3:10 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat
Thanks for both of the suggestions, but I've run into another roadblock. I found segments that all showed availability on AC online search. I called into AC to feed segment by segment to the agent and she couldn't book almost any of the ET segments. She said that she also sees them as "available", but then when she tries to book the space, it's not letting her. The agent was awesome and went through many different dates, options, and routings with me on the phone for almost an hour. Ultimately, only a few random segments to/from ADD to essentially anywhere in Europe were actually available for booking. This is despite her also seeing the same availability that I was seeing online, but then it wasn't bookable. I asked her if there was anything else that I could do to see if the space was "real" on my end and she said that I couldn't since it was all showing up as available until actually trying to book.

So, my options now come down to trying to find routings that are on Turkish or Egypt (since the space that I see online there is real) or changing our trip to be some other time and start calling into the agent at the end of the schedule basically every day to see if there is any J space available on Ethiopian. I think we're probably going to go with the latter, but it's a bit defeating. I've been pretty heavily into this award booking game for 10+ years and have never come across a situation like this where I can't find a reasonable option. And, it's mostly due to that I can't trust any tool to show me if the space is real or phantom. I will look into Award Nexus though, so thanks for the tip. Hopefully that will show real availability.
Old Apr 15, 2024, 6:25 am

SkinsFan0521 how is your search going? I am having analysis paralysis myself trying to figure out the options on my ET flight from ATL-ADD-LUN. I am worried like you that I see the space, move the miles and then BAM I got 100K tied up in SAS Euro bonus or Aeroplan with no seats actually available.
Old Apr 17, 2024, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by Danalexander
Update - Ive been monitoring since I booked the 2 business award seats on 3/10/24 and as of 4/17/24 no additional business seats have become available for award partner booking. I had also been tracking the cash prices and just bit on purchasing the 3rd business seat. The rate was $1420 (for some reason the ADD-ICN for the reserve one-way is $4500, so good thing I was able to book all 3 seats for that with points!). Based on the posts here and the fact that no new availability came online for over 30 days, it seemed unlikely that Ethiopian was going to make another business seat available or at best it would be last minute. Im definitely not excited about spending $1400 for the last seat, but given it was the only cash fare I paid (plus relatively minor fees) for 3 r/t business seats ICN-ADD Im ok with it. For future awareness, Im going to keep monitoring to see if Ethiopian ever add more business availability.
Old May 5, 2024, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by danteshors
SkinsFan0521 how is your search going? I am having analysis paralysis myself trying to figure out the options on my ET flight from ATL-ADD-LUN. I am worried like you that I see the space, move the miles and then BAM I got 100K tied up in SAS Euro bonus or Aeroplan with no seats actually available.
Hi,
Quick update to the Ethiopian phantom space issue. Award Nexus seems to be accurate with their results! I was just able to book our African safari trip using the results from award nexus. Before transferring my Amex points to Aeroplan, I called in and had an agent confirm that all space was actually available. She knew exactly the phantom space issue that I was running into and knew how far to go in the process to verify that they were actually available and not phantom. Then, I hung up, transferred the points, and booked online to save the phone booking fee. Everything has been ticketed, so it should be all set!

Ps: we did end up moving the trip to early March 2025 because there were just more options available that fit our schedule.

cheltzel thanks for the tip on Award Nexus!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.