Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other Middle Eastern and African Airlines
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Availabily on Ethiopian Airlines in J

Star Alliance Award Availabily on Ethiopian Airlines in J

Old Oct 23, 2023, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by cheltzel
I just started seeing 2 business class award seats on ET for the ORD-ADD flight (ET575) on September 16, 2024. Hopefully this means these awards will return for the last few monthe of 2024.
How are you searching for these now that Expert Flyer isn't showing Ethiopian Air? UA search for award seat??

Last edited by btscott; Oct 23, 2023 at 3:03 pm
Old Oct 23, 2023, 3:29 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by btscott
How are you searching for these now that Expert Flyer isn't showing Ethiopian Air? UA search for award seat??
UA award search. And they just popped up. Before the bulk of the Star Alliance awards were dropped by EF, I saw that the ET schedule ended at September 15. I was waiting for ET to load it and was hoping it might include a change in the 1 business class seat "policy" by ET.

The flights appeared a few hours before my post on it. I am waiting 2 or 3 more days to see if there are bookable itineraries available
btscott likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2023, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by slhu82
I think July Aug Early Sept are peak season so they only release one J.
I booked 2 for ADD-JNB for August, but it seems like that is an anomaly and the norm is definitely one..
Old Oct 25, 2023, 6:09 pm

Looks like US to ADD or ADD to US only release 1 in summer peak time this year. For inner Africa, I am able to book 2J ADD -JRO around August.
B747-437B likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2023, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by slhu82
Looks like US to ADD or ADD to US only release 1 in summer peak time this year. For inner Africa, I am able to book 2J ADD -JRO around August.
It looked like there were no business awards for South Africa at all starting mid-June through to September 16
Old Oct 26, 2023, 11:42 am

I got 2 from ORD-JNB for end of May and 2 for end of June VFA-ORD. I finished booking on July 23. 2 other couples in my group booked flights as well, They were only able to get 2 tickets one way. One couple ORD-JNB, traveling one day after me. The other couple VFA-IAD for end of June. The other 2 legs for each couple was only available in economy. The other 2 couple finished booking around August 22 and 23. Right after that everything dried up as I was searching for them for the 2 legs they had in economy and could find nothing on any date.
Old Nov 12, 2023, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K on final to 2MM
Ethiopian J award space Asia to North America

I have been searching for J awards on ET from North America to SE Asia in the first quarter of 2024. It seems there is quite a bit of availability from NA to SE Asia but no returns. I am searching on the UA website for the awards. I see awards Asia to ADD and ADD to NA but as separate awards. is this possibly a bug (feature?) in the United site? any recommendations on alternative search engines? TIA
Old Nov 12, 2023, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by bankerflyer
I have been searching for J awards on ET from North America to SE Asia in the first quarter of 2024. It seems there is quite a bit of availability from NA to SE Asia but no returns. I am searching on the UA website for the awards. I see awards Asia to ADD and ADD to NA but as separate awards. is this possibly a bug (feature?) in the United site? any recommendations on alternative search engines? TIA
I would look at using AwardNexus. It is a tool developed by FTer ckpeter

You can see the details in the FT support thread, Register using your FT username and you will get a free elite that will allow you to do 100 points worth of searches every 90 days. You can buy more points if you want. I have never had to buy any and have used it for years. It allows you to search both AC and NH awards which should show you any available *A saver awards in both Economy and Business.

Star Alliance/Oneworld Award Planning with Award Nexus
btscott likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2023, 2:39 pm

I believe all ET flights from NA operate through ADD. Either from Toronto, ORD, IAD or Atlanta. I would search for availability on each leg top see what is available. I use ANA "Multiple Cities/Mixed Classes".
Old Nov 12, 2023, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by cheltzel
I would look at using AwardNexus. It is a tool developed by FTer ckpeter

You can see the details in the FT support thread, Register using your FT username and you will get a free elite that will allow you to do 100 points worth of searches every 90 days. You can buy more points if you want. I have never had to buy any and have used it for years. It allows you to search both AC and NH awards which should show you any available *A saver awards in both Economy and Business.

Star Alliance/Oneworld Award Planning with Award Nexus
Thank you, I will have to check out AwardNexus. With Expertflyer pretty much useless now, need another tool.
Old Nov 12, 2023, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by btscott
I believe all ET flights from NA operate through ADD. Either from Toronto, ORD, IAD or Atlanta. I would search for availability on each leg top see what is available. I use ANA "Multiple Cities/Mixed Classes".
Also JFK & EWR.
btscott likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2023, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
ok so I searched one seat YYZ-ADD-XXX, sure, available all summer. I search for 2 - nothing.
So I think what the heck, I'll book one YYZ-ADD, and another YYZ-IAD-ADD-XXX.

After booking the first YYZ-ADD, another seat opened up,(or rather it never disappeared) and we are now both on YYZ-ADD, just different PNRs. Weird.

So if you cant book 2 seats - book one - and see if the other person can be booked on a separate booking
Can0nind likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2023, 7:26 am

Programs: Marriott Plat
There seems to be 0 availability in J from ADD-JNB for the next 5 months... any sense if this is a glitch or if it's actually full? Seems a bit odd.
Old Dec 4, 2023, 5:30 pm

Programs: DL Spam; SPG Gold; other randoms
Originally Posted by rankourabu
ok so I searched one seat YYZ-ADD-XXX, sure, available all summer. I search for 2 - nothing.
So I think what the heck, I'll book one YYZ-ADD, and another YYZ-IAD-ADD-XXX.

After booking the first YYZ-ADD, another seat opened up,(or rather it never disappeared) and we are now both on YYZ-ADD, just different PNRs. Weird.

So if you cant book 2 seats - book one - and see if the other person can be booked on a separate booking
I had a similar situation booking ET from ATL-ADD-LUN. Only 1 seat showed in my search. As soon as I booked that single J seat, another opened up on the same flight/day. Booked it for my spouse and we're on separate PNRs.
Old Dec 28, 2023, 9:57 am

Programs: Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by amejr999
There seems to be 0 availability in J from ADD-JNB for the next 5 months... any sense if this is a glitch or if it's actually full? Seems a bit odd.
This seems to be fixed now, finally.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.