Ethiopian Airlines Carry on Luggage

Old Nov 5, 2018, 5:38 am
Original Poster

ET getting strict about carry-on weights

Is it just me or has ET started to get a lot stricter about carry-on weights?

For the third time this week, I've been stopped to weigh my back pack (in Accra, Addis and now Blantyre). It weighed 8.7 kg today and it had to be escalated to a supervisor to let me take it with me, even though I was in Cloud Nine and my other piece weighed less than 2kg.
​​​​​​
I was especially surprised to see them weighing bags at Gate 10A (the special gate for Cloud Nine and Star Gold) in Addis last week. Fortunately my bag only weighed 7.9kg then so no issues.

Anyone else seen this lately? In nearly 200 sectors with ET, I've never been hassled in Cloud Nine or as Star Gold but then 3 times in a week is too much of a coincidence.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 5:51 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus
That seems to be something new.
Did 6 sectors with ET past 10 days, didn't experience this, or see it happen to anyone. But I also only travel with one fairly small piece of hand luggage.
Did they want to put it in the cargo hold? Or they wanted to penalize you? On the contrary, it continues to annoy me how people bring too much and too large hand-luggage on the planes. But I did encounter a few times where staff asked people to hand over additional pieces of hand luggage at the gate, to store it in the cargo hold. But this was at out-stations, not in ADD.
W126Pilot likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 8:00 am

FWIW last week I helped some family members to checkin to an ET flight in CPT, they were very strict about hold luggage weight, 23.8KG was not acceptable even though all other suitcases were way below 20KG, from what I could see, many other people had to reshuffle their luggage as well.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by Ditto
FWIW last week I helped some family members to checkin to an ET flight in CPT, they were very strict about hold luggage weight, 23.8KG was not acceptable even though all other suitcases were way below 20KG, from what I could see, many other people had to reshuffle their luggage as well.
That does seem very odd to me, never had anything like that on ET. Actually I find them extremely accommodating compared to other airliners in this regard. Did your family members have any Star Alliance status? Flying in Y?
I was actually of the impression that airliners usually accept +/- 2kg within the limit of each bag. Or maybe this is only on TK and I just assumed it was the same on all airliners?
I managed to multiple times the past months check in bags that were 25-26 kg each at a 23kg allowance (and the total kg more than I was allowed) and they accepted. But I guess it helps when you are *G.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 11:20 am

They were flying in Y with no status indeed, still it seems odd, I've flown couple of times with bags just above the allowed allowance (including some LCC in Asia) and never had an issue, they always rounded the weight down.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Goaguy
Did they want to put it in the cargo hold? Or they wanted to penalize you?
I don't know. In the first two cases they cleared me as I was within the limits and in the third case they were confused what to do since I had 4 laptops/tablets in the bag and those obviously couldn't be checked in.

ET's usually smooth experience has been getting a bit frayed lately. This evening in Addis they had a major issue with hotel room shortage for transit pax. I was first given a Hilton voucher, which was swapped for a Radisson Blu voucher (but they were full), so they tried to rebook me in "Blue Sky Hotel" which I flatly refused to accept, and then finally gave me a voucher for the Ramada.
Old Jan 27, 2021, 8:30 pm

Ethiopian Airlines Carry on Luggage

I am flying from the US to Addis and then have a domestic connection with them as well. I was reading their carry on luggage allowances, and it seems that in coach they don't allow wheelies, only backpacks etc. Is that really the case? (An agent I spoke to told me the same however i wasn't sure if she understood my quesion).
Old Jan 30, 2021, 3:15 am

Originally Posted by awardticket
I am flying from the US to Addis and then have a domestic connection with them as well. I was reading their carry on luggage allowances, and it seems that in coach they don't allow wheelies, only backpacks etc. Is that really the case? (An agent I spoke to told me the same however i wasn't sure if she understood my quesion).
Ethiopian generally is extremely generous when it comes to carry on luggage. Worst case they'll take it from you af the gate and put it in the cargo hold.
Old Feb 4, 2021, 12:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
I have never had any issue with a regular wheeled carry on. The one and only time they even batted an eye at carry ons was at BKK years ago when they still had the 767s. They weighed everyone's carry on at the gate, claiming small bins.
Old Feb 12, 2021, 10:11 am

Programs: AA Gold
how many carryons for business class?

If flying in business, how many carryons are allowed? What about the wheeled ones?I am flying ET in May to WDH I have very very tight connections in ADD to and from the flights to WDH and don't trust that checked bags will make it.
Old Feb 15, 2021, 1:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by susiesan
If flying in business, how many carryons are allowed? What about the wheeled ones?I am flying ET in May to WDH I have very very tight connections in ADD to and from the flights to WDH and don't trust that checked bags will make it.
You would usually be permitted two carry-ons at 7kg each in Cloud Nine plus one personal item, but during the pandemic all carry-on baggage is being restricted for safety and security reasons. Therefore, only a small personal item may be carried on board (assuming the same policy is in place at the time of your travel) and all other pieces will need to be checked in.

As part of the ongoing effort to fighting the COVID-19 pandemic, please note that we have temporarily revised our hand bag policy. Accordingly, except laptops, lady purse, medicines and baby essentials, hand bags are NOT permitted to be carried on board. The carry-on/hand bag allowance is to be accepted as checked-in bag as per the class-of travel allowance.
In practice, they are not enforcing this consistently but some outstations in particular can be quite the sticklers so be prepared to check everything in if required.
uanj likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2021, 9:22 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
This is concerning to me. I travel with a standard laptop case as well as my CPAP case. Both are relatively small. Combined they are nowhere near a typical roller carry-on. I would not want to check either one.
Old Feb 20, 2021, 9:18 am

Programs: AA Gold
Are you saying that business class pax on TATL to/from the US flights have to check their carryon bags? What does this have to do with covid safety? I fly outbound from IAD and inbound from WDH/ADD to ORD.
Is ET enforcing this policy on those flights? My trip will be in May.
Old Feb 21, 2021, 1:59 am
Original Poster

Are you saying that business class pax on TATL to/from the US flights have to check their carryon bags? What does this have to do with covid safety?
The USA has nothing to do with it. This has been Ethiopian Airlines' policy at the beginning of the pandemic. It is intended so that passengers remain seated during the flight and do not need to access items from their carry-on bags, thus increasing the risk of potential exposure. So yes, as per the policy you would need to check in all carry on bags, but you would not be charged excess baggage for that.
Old Feb 23, 2021, 1:07 pm

Are you saying that business class pax on TATL to/from the US flights have to check their carryon bags? What does this have to do with covid safety? I fly outbound from IAD and inbound from WDH/ADD to ORD.
Is ET enforcing this policy on those flights? My trip will be in May.
Turkish Airlines have the same policy for US bound flights. Since COVID, They started accepting carry on as a checked item. Free of charge. In addition to your allowance of checked luggage. So it is not only Ethiopian Airlines. This is mostly voluntary but YMMV
B747-437B likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.