Wiki Posts
Search

Transit OR Tambo?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2020, 2:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: OneWorld Emerald/GHA Discovery Black
Transit OR Tambo?

Does anyone have recent experience of whether it will be possible to transit airside at OR Tambo airport in Johannesburg? Specifically, I intend to arrive from London on British Airways and transfer directly to an AirLink flight to Maun, Botswana. I do not intend to “arrive” in South Africa at all but remain airside. Will this be possible? I have done this many times before at OR Tambo and am familiar with the transit/transfer arrangements but have heard conflicting stories of what is (and isn't) working right now! Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 6:59 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by Work-Shy
Does anyone have recent experience of whether it will be possible to transit airside at OR Tambo airport in Johannesburg? Specifically, I intend to arrive from London on British Airways and transfer directly to an AirLink flight to Maun, Botswana. I do not intend to “arrive” in South Africa at all but remain airside. Will this be possible? I have done this many times before at OR Tambo and am familiar with the transit/transfer arrangements but have heard conflicting stories of what is (and isn't) working right now! Thanks in advance.
I would post this on the Africa forum. There is a specific thread there for connecting at JNB. And other threads where people have reported experiences transiting through JNB.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 10:01 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
I'd just contact your regional ZA embassy and ask directly. I suspect since they are currently allowing international arrivals, and you aren't even entering the country then should be yes, but certainly they'd be a better source than an internet forum.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 11:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cheltzel
I would post this on the Africa forum. There is a specific thread there for connecting at JNB. And other threads where people have reported experiences transiting through JNB.
Thanks. I have posted this on the Africa forum. I will have a go contacting the SA High Commission in London. Mods, please feel free to close this thread.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 12:10 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Tesco, Nectar
Do you concord with the COVID entry requirements for entry to SA? Might may be good to check with BA that they will let you fly. The reason I say this is because QR for example insist you are able to enter the final destination on the QR ticket regardless of onward travel intentions. Not sure what BA are doing in this regard
Old Nov 10, 2020, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Newbtravelle
Do you concord with the COVID entry requirements for entry to SA? Might may be good to check with BA that they will let you fly. The reason I say this is because QR for example insist you are able to enter the final destination on the QR ticket regardless of onward travel intentions. Not sure what BA are doing in this regard
Thanks - I checked with the BA YouFirst team earlier today and they were going to ask the question of the local BA staff at Johannesburg. I also raised your point as, although I will have a valid negative PCR result, I won't have the requisite "proof of business activities" as I don't intend to "arrive" into South Africa. BA said it would be fine given I have an onward flight within a few hours to Botswana. On reflection, it may be worth getting a colleague in South Africa to generate an urgent business meeting so I have the supporting paperwork.
Old Feb 27, 2021, 11:23 am

Programs: AA GLD 1.xMM, MAR SLV, HH DMND, IHG PLT
You go through south africa transit immigration

I did this pre covid and you go through South Africa transit immigration and get a transit stamp in your passport.

Then you go back through security and are back in the transit area of JNB airport waiting for the Airlink flight to Botswana.

If luggage is checked straight through them no need to deal with it.

Besides Covid tests, and checks that may have popped up now, what is the specific concern OP?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.