Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other Middle Eastern and African Airlines
Reload this Page >

What's it like flying on ET during this pandemic?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's it like flying on ET during this pandemic?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2020, 3:37 pm

Programs: SQ, SK, QR
B747-437B could I kindly ask you to report back on how strict ET are with not allowing carry-on bags? I'm flying them next month, and it would be a suck to have to put my camera and other valuables in a check-in suitcase.
Old Sep 25, 2020, 7:29 am

On board ET920 right now. Other than the masks and the horrendously low load (5 Business/24 Economy on an A350), it's very much business as usual.

IFE is fully functional as is in-seat power and Wi-Fi. Only one piece of carry-on is allowed per passenger, but they are flexible about the size/weight nudge nudge wink wink.

Pre departure drinks were offered, but not from a tray (they asked what you wanted and brought it sealed/covered from the galley for you). Meal service was served on a single tray with plastic or foil covers for each of the dishes. The menu is the same as pre-pandemic so I chose my usual Thai curry option and it tastes no different when served with a lid! 🤣

My PCR test was checked multiple times before boarding because of my overnight transit and they kept a copy before issuing my transit visa voucher. But supposedly this means I'm free to mingle with general population once I enter Ethiopia.

Will report back more after the transit tonight and to see how the processes are working at the new terminal tomorrow morning.
uanj likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2020, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by B747-437B
Only one piece of carry-on is allowed per passenger, but they are flexible about the size/weight nudge nudge wink wink.
Ok, great that you can bring at least one carry-on bag still. Maybe the information below is outdated...

During this time, your safety and well-being are our highest priority. As part of the ongoing effort to fighting the COVID-19 pandemic, please note that we have temporarily revised our hand bag policy. Accordingly, except laptops, lady purse, medicines and baby essentials, hand bags are NOT permitted to be carried on board. The carry-on/hand bag allowance is to be accepted as checked-in bag as per the class-of travel allowance.

Source: https://www.ethiopianairlines.com/aa...rry-on-baggage

Nice to hear IFE is on and meal options aren't reduced as well. Thanks for sharing.
Old Sep 25, 2020, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by AJ747M
Ok, great that you can bring at least one carry-on bag still. Maybe the information below is outdated...
No, the policy is still in place but is being interpreted liberally. Just state that you have "valuables and medication" in your bag and they will allow you to carry one piece on board.
uanj likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2020, 7:53 am

No, the policy is still in place but is being interpreted liberally. Just state that you have "valuables and medication" in your bag and they will allow you to carry one piece on board.
Ok, I see. Shall do that then. Thanks!
Old Sep 26, 2020, 8:31 am

Flew this morning from Addis to Lilongwe on the brand new 787-9 with the new herringbone config in Cloud Nine (ET-AXS). Seats took a bit getting used to, but once I figured them out I was very pleased. Flight was completely full (30 Business, 275 Econ).

Service was the same, but came across one problem with serving the main course with the foil cover still on - there is no way to check it is properly heated. Mine was still cold at the bottom and inedible as a result.

Crew struggled to cope with the full load, especially with a number of kids (aged around 6-10 yrs old) running around without masks during the meal service - including running from Economy into Business and disrupting things (bumped into the service cart and dropped stuff onto the ground, etc...). One of the parents tried to argue (in a North American accent, I should add) that it "wasn't fair" to ask the kids to wear masks, but the crew were very firm that kids above 6 needed to wear their masks on board.

The new terminal in Addis was ok - a bit disorganised from a wayfinding and process perspective, but if you go around asking people "Where is the line for Gold?" they will point you the right way.

The new Cloud Nine Lounge by A13 was open and oh my word, what a change to have a lovely spacious lounge available in Addis. Unfortunately, the seating crunch in the morning peak was still the same because they have set the seats 2 meters apart for now - but there are enough smaller rooms off the main lounge that everyone could find space.
uanj, sal77, DaveS and 2 others like this.
Old Sep 26, 2020, 10:59 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Flew this morning from Addis to Lilongwe on the brand new 787-9 with the new herringbone config in Cloud Nine (ET-AXS). Seats took a bit getting used to, but once I figured them out I was very pleased. Flight was completely full (30 Business, 275 Econ).

Service was the same, but came across one problem with serving the main course with the foil cover still on - there is no way to check it is properly heated. Mine was still cold at the bottom and inedible as a result.

Crew struggled to cope with the full load, especially with a number of kids (aged around 6-10 yrs old) running around without masks during the meal service - including running from Economy into Business and disrupting things (bumped into the service cart and dropped stuff onto the ground, etc...). One of the parents tried to argue (in a North American accent, I should add) that it "wasn't fair" to ask the kids to wear masks, but the crew were very firm that kids above 6 needed to wear their masks on board.

The new terminal in Addis was ok - a bit disorganised from a wayfinding and process perspective, but if you go around asking people "Where is the line for Gold?" they will point you the right way.

The new Cloud Nine Lounge by A13 was open and oh my word, what a change to have a lovely spacious lounge available in Addis. Unfortunately, the seating crunch in the morning peak was still the same because they have set the seats 2 meters apart for now - but there are enough smaller rooms off the main lounge that everyone could find space.
In the US right now, they would kick your party off the plane if your kids wouldn't tolerate wearing a mask.
Old Sep 26, 2020, 2:01 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, ShebaMiles, SkyMiles
Did not know they were putting a herringbone config in the new 787-9's... very interesting. Hope to get to check one out sometime in the next couple months.
Old Sep 27, 2020, 2:34 am

Originally Posted by b_magee
Did not know they were putting a herringbone config in the new 787-9's... very interesting. Hope to get to check one out sometime in the next couple months.
So far its only ET-AXS but supposedly AXT and the 2 options will have it also when delivered.
Old Sep 27, 2020, 2:36 am

Originally Posted by cheltzel
In the US right now, they would kick your party off the plane if your kids wouldn't tolerate wearing a mask.
I don't think it was the kids resisting wearing a mask. They pretty much did what they were told once they were instructed to sit down and wear their mask. More a case of the parent refusing to give them a mask to wear until the crew insisted.
Old Sep 27, 2020, 11:03 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
I don't think it was the kids resisting wearing a mask. They pretty much did what they were told once they were instructed to sit down and wear their mask. More a case of the parent refusing to give them a mask to wear until the crew insisted.
That is what I thought you meant when you posted. And it is one of my chief nightmare situations when I fly, parents who won't attempt to deal with their children unless someone makes an issue of it.
DaveS likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2020, 1:47 pm

Programs: M&S Elite+
So you have the 2 weeks quarantine/self isolation in Malawi? I need to get out there, but that is a non-starter for me.
Old Oct 1, 2020, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by DaveS
So you have the 2 weeks quarantine/self isolation in Malawi? I need to get out there, but that is a non-starter for me.
No, if you show up with a valid PCR they just request you to monitor for symptoms and report to the local district health facility if you have any. They give you a badly photocopied piece of paper advising you of this, which is different from the earlier guidance but since it is in writing and they specifically said no need to isolate, I'm happy with it. Not sure if this is only applicable to residents (like myself) or for visitors too. I got myself tested at Queens in Blantyre (MWK 75000 for foreigners, MWK 37500 for Malawians) and since I'm living at home the only living beings other than my wife that I've been in "contact" with are the dogs anyway.

If you look Chinese/Asian however, you will probably be detained at the airport and sent to a state quarantine facility regardless of what actual nationality you hold, where you are coming from or what kind of test you have taken. They are absolutely paranoid about Chinese passengers.
sal77 and DaveS like this.
Old Oct 2, 2020, 12:20 am

Programs: M&S Elite+
No, if you show up with a valid PCR they just request you to monitor for symptoms and report to the local district health facility if you have any. They give you a badly photocopied piece of paper advising you of this, which is different from the earlier guidance but since it is in writing and they specifically said no need to isolate, I'm happy with it. Not sure if this is only applicable to residents (like myself) or for visitors too. I got myself tested at Queens in Blantyre (MWK 75000 for foreigners, MWK 37500 for Malawians) and since I'm living at home the only living beings other than my wife that I've been in "contact" with are the dogs anyway.

If you look Chinese/Asian however, you will probably be detained at the airport and sent to a state quarantine facility regardless of what actual nationality you hold, where you are coming from or what kind of test you have taken. They are absolutely paranoid about Chinese passengers.
OK, thanks for that. Getting reliable information about Malawi is a real problem at the best of times. If you hear anything about non-Asian non-residents coming in, please say.
sal77 likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2020, 5:57 am

Programs: A3 Gold, KQ Gold
OK, thanks for that. Getting reliable information about Malawi is a real problem at the best of times. If you hear anything about non-Asian non-residents coming in, please say.
+1

Thanks B747-437B

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.