FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Other Middle Eastern and African Airlines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-middle-eastern-african-airlines-471/)
-   -   Egyptair 787 or 777 Toronto (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-middle-eastern-african-airlines/2021209-egyptair-787-777-toronto.html)

NB_Falcon Jul 8, 2020 10:53 am

Egyptair 787 or 777 Toronto

Hi,

Booking a flight from YYZ-CAI for next March, was wondering if anyone knows if Egpytair plans to move that flight from current 777 to 787 (believe was previously 787), if not is it worth going YYZ-IAD-CAI to avoid old 777 J seats ?

Thanks

cheltzel Jul 9, 2020 7:30 am

Originally Posted by NB_Falcon (Post 32516993)
Hi,

Booking a flight from YYZ-CAI for next March, was wondering if anyone knows if Egpytair plans to move that flight from current 777 to 787 (believe was previously 787), if not is it worth going YYZ-IAD-CAI to avoid old 777 J seats ?

Thanks

I can't speak to the equipment that will be using from YYZ. But unless the airline only has one type of airframe used for long haul operations, there is always the chance of a last minute change. My wife and I flew MS last winter and we took the flights from/to JFK to get the 787 as opposed to the 777 out of YYZ. It was a pain as we did a co-terminal connection (ORD-LGA/JFK-CAI) to keep it on one UA award ticket. But we had a pleasant flight on the 787.

Alpha Golf Jul 13, 2020 11:56 am

Originally Posted by cheltzel (Post 32519093)
I can't speak to the equipment that will be using from YYZ. But unless the airline only has one type of airframe used for long haul operations, there is always the chance of a last minute change. My wife and I flew MS last winter and we took the flights from/to JFK to get the 787 as opposed to the 777 out of YYZ. It was a pain as we did a co-terminal connection (ORD-LGA/JFK-CAI) to keep it on one UA award ticket. But we had a pleasant flight on the 787.

Edited -- made a wrong statement because I spaced out that he's coming from a preclearance airport. My bad.

cheltzel Jul 13, 2020 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by Alpha Golf (Post 32528698)
There are no sterile international connections at Dulles, so you'd have to clear immigration/customs/security. To me not worth the hassle.

The OP is flying from YYZ, a CBP preclearance airport. Luggage should be checked through and no security clearance will be required. Flights form YYZ will arrive as if they arrive from a US domestic airport.

dvs7310 Jul 14, 2020 7:50 am

Originally Posted by Alpha Golf (Post 32528698)
There are no sterile international connections at Dulles, so you'd have to clear immigration/customs/security. To me not worth the hassle.

Originally Posted by cheltzel (Post 32528854)
The OP is flying from YYZ, a CBP preclearance airport. Luggage should be checked through and no security clearance will be required. Flights form YYZ will arrive as if they arrive from a US domestic airport.

I'd assume too the OP would be coming back, so would still have to clear once in IAD and then again in YYZ and only their passport can determine how simple or less so that's likely to be. Canadian passport would be through in a few minutes, even better with NEXUS card, but if they are an Egyptian living in Canada then I'd probably avoid IAD it in that direction.

All that said, I think March is too early for widespread acceptance of flights from the US, while flights from Canada will likely be allowed fairly soon. At this point I'd worry about that a lot more than 777 vs 787.

Alpha Golf Jul 14, 2020 9:15 am

Originally Posted by cheltzel (Post 32528854)

D'oh! My bad. It's been so long since I've seen a plane or an airport...