Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Iranian airline(s) fleet

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2020, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Iranian airline(s) fleet

With the US pulling out of the Nuclear Deal, it seems Iran's goal of buying US and Euro aircraft were lost. However, given COVID and the amount of aircraft leaving service seems an opportune time to make an exception and allow Iran to buy these aging birds which are otherwise in great shape. The a/c I'm thinking of are:

Lufthansa widebodies (744s, A340s)
KLM 744s
Delta (anything!)
Austrian 767s
Qantas 744
and many others

Anyone have any thoughts, hypotheses or comments? No politics if possible please
Old Apr 30, 2020, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by deltatrav
No politics if possible please
Impossible, as Iran's options are circumscribed by politics. Even if they are able to buy some aging birds, these birds will require spares, and buying spares is just as political an issue as buying new aircraft.

There's no way around it.

Johan
Old Apr 30, 2020, 9:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Have a feeling this tread will end up in OMNI, but with Trump in office, never going to happen. If something changes in November/January, then these planes will mostly still be in suitable condition to reinstate to service.
Old Nov 24, 2020, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

Anyone have any theories as to what my come with Biden? There are so many perfect AC available (noted above by me) to IranAir to hold them over until new deliveries. I wonder if they might even want a cheap 2nd hand A380 (Lufthansa's would be perfect, just take out F).

Any theories on first airlines to go back to Iran with Biden (if any changes)? I suppose KLM and BA. Doubt any of the smaller gulf carriers (GF or SV) and I doubt any east Asian carriers.
Old Nov 26, 2020, 3:18 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Sixt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis First, Caesars TR Diamond, Mlife Gold
Why don't they buy Russian airliners, like North Korea?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.