Asking for help from anyone with Ethiopian

Old Apr 7, 20, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, MR
Asking for help from anyone with Ethiopian

Hello,
I am asking for help from any Ethiopian employee on this forum. I flew from ADD to EWR via FRA on 2 April. The first segment was on Ethiopian and the second on United. My bag never arrived at EWR and the United agent said they never got it from Ethiopian and that they are notorious for this. Ethiopian is not staffing any EWR location and do not answer phones or emails to any of the global addresses. Is there anyone who could help me try to check on the status of my bag or to help me file a missing bag claim?

The baggage claim ticket is ET 031046.

Thanks!
Old Apr 8, 20, 12:17 am

Programs: Aeroplan, ShebaMiles
I have found them to be most responsive at the local ticketing offices - I had a misconnect between Air Canada and Ethiopian resulting a bag being in some sort of baggage purgatory at YYZ and the Toronto ET office took care of it and responded relatively quickly.

Obviously there could be some staffing issues at the moment. But based on your itinerary, I would try emailing ET in Frankfurt ( [email protected] ) since it's possible that's where the handoff was supposed to happen between ET and UA. Alternatively, I have also found the Washington DC office to be fairly responsive ([email protected]).
Old Apr 9, 20, 8:28 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold
Dis you log a missing bag report?

If you have, you can put the reference number into World Tracer and it will pick up where the bar code on the tag was last scanned, which is usually where the bag is now:

https://wtrweb.worldtracer.aero/WTRI...9-C18A9E522E6D

If not, grab the form and email a report to Ethiopian.

https://www.ethiopianairlines.com/aa...amaged-baggage

Once it's been put in World Tracer, it gets easier from there.
Old Apr 11, 20, 11:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, MR
Thanks for the info. No record in the system yet. Ethiopian is overwhelmed or indifferent or both right now, I am also trying to cancel a separate flight with no success. I will hope for a response from Frankfurt. Yes, that is correct--there are no staff at all at any of the offices, even in Addis. It was very hard to transit through there, despite the airport and the flights being almost totally empty. There was no United staff at the international terminal at EWR, but I went to the domestic terminal and was able to file a claim. I had to get a Newark airport maintenance worker to go into the back of the totally deserted terminal and find a United employee willing to come out to the desk (she was very helpful once she was out there). (I then flew on to LAS via DFW on AA and it was the same experience everywhere--airports are all deserted. I arrived at LAS in the middle of a Friday night, and was almost literally the only person at the airport--scary for Vegas).

Thanks again!
Old Apr 11, 20, 11:38 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
You can't file a bag claim with ET. They literally will not take it. Since your last flight was on UA, you have to file the claim with UA and they will take care of it, even if it was ET's fault.
Old Apr 12, 20, 7:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The system is designed to help you. It is solely the responsibility of the last delivering carrier, e.g. UA to locate and deliver the bag to you and, if the bag is lost, to compensate you for the fair market value of your loss (with a cap of approximately $1,650). Note that the bag is considered lost after 20 days. Also note that UA will generally provide a flat compensation of $500 in situations where you cannot document what is lost. Thus, most claims are relatively easily handled.

As others note, you have apparently made your claim with UA, have a WorldTracer number and can see whether the bag has been located and if it has, where it is. As a practical matter, if you call ET, someone will look at the same information as you can see yourself on WorldTracer.

Also be certain to make a claim with your insurer as many have strict time limits for claims.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: