Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other Middle Eastern and African Airlines
Reload this Page >

Oman Air - only paid seat assignments in Business Class?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2019, 6:36 am
Original Poster

I am traveling with my wife on Wednesday with Oman Air. We are booked into Business Class on the same PNR. First time flying with WY.

When I am trying to OLCI, the system is automatically assigning us to two seats on different sides of the cabin. If I try to change one of our seat assignments so we sit together, the system is trying to charge me for "PREMIUM SEAT".

Is this normal? Do they really have an extra charge to select seats for two passengers traveling together in Business Class? Or is there something I am doing wrong. The seat map shows 19 open seats, so this is definitely not a case of a full cabin with no seats available together.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 8:00 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by B747-437B
I am traveling with my wife on Wednesday with Oman Air. We are booked into Business Class on the same PNR. First time flying with WY.

When I am trying to OLCI, the system is automatically assigning us to two seats on different sides of the cabin. If I try to change one of our seat assignments so we sit together, the system is trying to charge me for "PREMIUM SEAT".

Is this normal? Do they really have an extra charge to select seats for two passengers traveling together in Business Class? Or is there something I am doing wrong. The seat map shows 19 open seats, so this is definitely not a case of a full cabin with no seats available together.
I'm not sure exactly what's going on yet, but there appears to have been a change to seat selection policies in Business Class for WY over the last couple of days. All seats in J used to be free to select, but now on ExpertFlyer all seats in J are showing as 'Paid & Premium' instead. Not sure if it's an IT issue or a deliberate change in policy at this stage.

The only positive here is everyone else on the flight without status will be encountering exactly the same issue so hopefully that means two seats together will still be available if you get to the airport fairly early.
B747-437B and rt23456p like this.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 6:05 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, BA Gold, IHG Gold, Oman Gold
I had this once before when I selected it and went through the process, it shows as £0.00, so its premium, but I did not have to pay. Not sure if this has changed.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 1:31 am
Original Poster

So I figured out that by going through the app and selecting a seat and then refusing the payment, it automatically reassigns your seat. After a couple of attempts I got allocated "randomly" to the empty seat next to my wife.

If this is seriously intended to be an attempt to shake down Business Class passengers for additional fees to sit together, that won't end well for them.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 2:21 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by B747-437B
So I figured out that by going through the app and selecting a seat and then refusing the payment, it automatically reassigns your seat. After a couple of attempts I got allocated "randomly" to the empty seat next to my wife.

If this is seriously intended to be an attempt to shake down Business Class passengers for additional fees to sit together, that won't end well for them.
I agree this is very much against the grain, but BA manages it and a lot of the BA regulars (myself included) like the BA system of free advanced seat selection for status passengers only, as it means if you book late (and therefore are probably the most profitable passenger for the airline on an expensive flexible ticket) you aren’t locked out from all the best seats. Admittedly this matters more on BA where there is large variation in J seat quality.

Then again the whole thing could just be an IT error which wouldn’t be the first time on WY, but has been ongoing for quite a while if it is.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 7:44 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ALL Gold
I booked Business Lite tickets for KUL-MCT-LHR just last month and was able to select seats for free. If it was a change it must have been quite recent.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
I agree this is very much against the grain, but BA manages it and a lot of the BA regulars (myself included) like the BA system of free advanced seat selection for status passengers only, as it means if you book late (and therefore are probably the most profitable passenger for the airline on an expensive flexible ticket) you aren’t locked out from all the best seats. Admittedly this matters more on BA where there is large variation in J seat quality.

Then again the whole thing could just be an IT error which wouldn’t be the first time on WY, but has been ongoing for quite a while if it is.
I don't mind the BA system for advance seat selection, but this charge is for selection of seats at OLCI - where BA allows you to pick from any seats available.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 8:46 am

Programs: BA Silver
It seems it was an IT issue. Tried changing seats couple of days ago and as reported here, there was a charge (~£30). Today, no charge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.