Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other Middle Eastern and African Airlines
Reload this Page >

Oman Air flight cancellation issue - requesting suggestions

Old Sep 20, 19, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Hi, I am flying via Oman Air for the first time and facing a big issue.

Booked a flight from Chennai, India to Casablanca, Morocco for 26th Oct. Now the airline has sent me a message stating due to Boeing 737 max grounding issue, flights till 30th October are cancelled and the earliest flight available is on 30th which is 96 hour later than original time. Here are the solutions I expected, at least one of them -

1. Since first leg of the journey is still possible, expected to have a codesshare or some other otions from Muscat to Casablanca, Oman Air is telling they don't have any codesshare in this sector
2. Full refund as the issue is not due to my plan change, rather it was due to airlines issue - they are saying they will follow regular cancellations Policy if I need full refund and deduct money !!

My challenges -

1. India office of Oman Air is useless, they literally know nothing
2. Reached out via twitter, no help. Only response comes from Bot that they will look into this.
3. Calling international to Oman air helpline in Muscat and spend lots of money for international call, though they seem little more reasonable than India office, no actual solution provided.
4. Reached out to feedback section of Omanair - no responses in 48 hours.

Did any of you faced a situation like this before where airline decide to cancel the flight, put you in a flight which is after 96 hours from original flight depurture time and not even ready for full refund if the 96 hours delay doesn't work for the passenger ? What option do I have here?

Regards, Sankar
Old Sep 20, 19, 6:59 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, BA Gold, IHG Gold, Oman Gold
Hi Sankar, use Skype and call the London ticket office, I find them to be most useful when it comes to changes etc. Options are limited I am afraid, if no codeshare is available. If I were you, I would get on google flights and see what flights they are from Muscat to Casablance if any, if none, look at other options for them to put you on, I would suggest the route you via Doha with Qatar, as they do have codeshares with them, means an extra stop in Qatar but could be one option.
2nd choice, look at prices for a new flight with a different carrier, if prices is less or the same get refund and change, of more, you can try and argue they need to find some other options.

Trouble is they are giving a valid reason and plenty of notice in theory, so not much they are legally required to do.
Old Sep 20, 19, 9:59 pm
Original Poster

My concern is qhy can't they refund the full amount given cancellation is from their side. That's the biggest issue for me.
Old Sep 21, 19, 2:24 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, BA Gold, IHG Gold, Oman Gold
Nonsense, fight back, ask to speak to manager or supervisors. They have changed schedule, beyond your control, to a way that is no use to you. They have to give full refund. Call London office
Old Sep 21, 19, 8:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM
I find it very interesting that someone could find Flyertalk to post here about it but not get on Matrix or Google flights first to find what options are out there. The airline can rebook you on any airline they have a ticketing interline agreement with, it doesn't need to be a codeshare at all. Just ask to be rebooked from your origin to CMN, going to Muscat first is nonsense.

Airlines do this all the time, though they may not prefer to. Push back, talk to a supervisor if necessary. Use Skype or Viber to call overseas numbers much cheaper than direct.
Old Sep 23, 19, 1:27 am

Programs: EY Guest Gold, QR Burgundy, EK Blue, LH M&M, SQ Krisflyer
Oman Air can be extremely frustrating in case of something "wrong" happen, unfortunately it is not a normal airline where you can contact someone to find a reasonable solution, the usual answers are: IT system only offers this, I'm not authorized, there is nothing I can do...
In my case it was just a voluntary change (Oman Air is trying to fool me), no other chance than canceling the booking with higher fee instead of rescheduling despite I called Oman, Indonesia and Italy, Twitter, feedback form and Sindbad FFP, same answer and no way to escalate, in addition if you are buying tickets in a country with practically no existent customer protection policies, you are done. I decided then to not book anymore with them even they were still and by far, the cheapest option.

Search this Thread