Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other Middle Eastern and African Airlines
Reload this Page >

Vegan Food on Royal Jordanian and Middle East Airlines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2019, 8:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold

I'm going to be flying with both airlines next month, and I'm looking at whether to pre-order a vegan meal, or hope that there is a decent vegetarian meal on board.

Given it's the Middle East, I expect a slightly meat-heavy menu.

Has anyone had any vegan food on board? Short flights, so I'll be in economy.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 9:15 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Emirates Skywards Silver
There should be no question as to why your choice of vegan menu would not be served. These airlines have a big client base in India and they are bound to serve vegan and vegetarian food.
I am a vegetarian and my wife is a vegan. We have flown Qatar, Emirates and Etihad at least 20 times in total in the past two years and not once did we have any issue with our choice of meals. Although we have always flown J, there is no reason why this would be different in Y. Enjoy your flight.

Last edited by lall; Aug 27, 2019 at 10:24 am
Old Aug 27, 2019, 9:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Thanks for the reply. Did you pre-order the vegan food? What was it like?
Old Aug 27, 2019, 10:23 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Emirates Skywards Silver
Yes.

Please note that vegan and vegetarian meals are considered as special meals by all airlines and they have to be necessarily pre-ordered at least 48 hrs before the flight. Jain food (also strictly vegetarian - but without onions, garlic etc.) is pure vegetarian (no meat, no fish, no eggs).

Vegan dishes sometimes come as indian vegetarian (spicy) but more often consist of pasta with sauce and boiled vegetables and salads or Chinese dishes without meat, fish or eggs.

Generally speaking, middle eastern airlines serve very tasty food. So no worries IMO
Old Aug 27, 2019, 2:43 pm

Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, QR gold
Originally Posted by lall
There should be no question as to why your choice of vegan menu would not be served. These airlines have a big client base in India and they are bound to serve vegan and vegetarian food.
I really doubt MEA and RJ have a big client base in India as AFAIK neither of the two airlines even offer flights to the subcontinent! Unlike the Gulf States, migrant workers from India/Pakistan/Bangladesh are also quite uncommon in Jordan and Lebanon.

While you are spot-on that good veg Indian food can be had in the Gulf States and on their airlines due to strong links/traffic with the subcontinent, you can't simply conclude that meals of MEA ans RJ will be as good based on what Emirates or Qatar might serve.

It would also highly depend which flights OP is actually taking. Eg flying BEY-IST the meal will be prepared in Beirut, but if flying DTW-AMM the flight is likely to be catered from Detroit. Obviously this can make a big difference in quality!
Old Aug 28, 2019, 4:27 am

Programs: ME, EK, LH, IC
I have flown MEA a lot in the last year (in business) and on every single flight (to/from Europe mind you), there was a vegetarian option (usually a pasta of some kind) - nothing vegan though (well, the salad that came with the meal and served in a separate bowl). Breakfast out of Beirut has almost always been eggs or a local dish called kenafeh (sort of like having pancakes with melted cheese in the middle and a lot of syrup on top). The starter for lunch/dinner is almost always non-vegetarian (salmon or shrimp or the like); breakfast usually has a type of locally strained yogurt called labneh and an assortment of cheese (halloum, cheddar and the like with some dried fruits and nuts). I would certainly pre-book the vegetarian and/or vegan option before the flight to make sure you get the food you want, especially in economy.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
The VGML on MEA is pretty good, IME.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.