Oman Air is trying to fool me

Old Aug 14, 19, 4:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: EY Guest Gold, QR Burgundy, EK Blue, LH M&M, SQ Krisflyer
Oman Air is trying to fool me

After a positive experience last June I booked again with Oman Air also my next November trip to Europe in biz with my daughter. I always book far in advance when I see good offers as normally I can plan my trips without many risks of changes, this time my employer suddenly decide to arrange a meeting that I have to attend thus I need to change my original schedule and here start the issue, not sure whether to name it a farce or a scam.

I'm used to manage bookings, fare types rules, fees and so on, I already changed in the past discounted tickets with EY, SV and QR without too much pain, but for WY rules just seems up to them:

First trial online, through their web site and manage my booking, same deal fare type is now available for the new dates, but who knows why in addition to the change fee (100 USD ticket) they add again the entire taxes (YQF and so on) for a total of 1000 USD that has been already paid with original ticket! To note that a brand new ticket in R class is now even slightly cheaper than my original ticket!

I thought, OK it is just an IT glitch, let's call them to fix it, when I contact the agent he calculated the fare difference and surprise, even better, now the total additional cost is becoming 1050 USD per each ticket, according to them fare difference is 950 USD plus 100 of change fee. Not any logic as they are selling online the same discounted R class, the agent cannot check anything or manage other than what he sees on his monitor. Better for me now to cancel and refund the tickets (cancellation fee confirmed 200 USD each) and buy a new one, totally crazy.

But sorry this time I will not spend any further cent with them, I cannot trust a company that does not follow even their written rules, they have lost a customer, fool me once shame on you....

Last edited by BobFF68; Aug 14, 19 at 5:26 am
Old Aug 14, 19, 8:17 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, BA Gold, IHG Gold, Oman Gold
You just need to call again and get someone else.

There website is is a nightmare yes and shows odd prices as does Qatar’s May I add.

I have had to change before and no issue when calling. I check gate online first to see if same price and call. Not even a change fee

Old Aug 14, 19, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Ya, will try to call again tomorrow and contact different agents before give up and cancel. Maybe if I call the local agent in Indonesian language he can sort it out. Let's see
gav0106 likes this.
Old Aug 14, 19, 11:04 pm
Original Poster

Tried again twice with no luck, once agent in Oman and the second local in Jakarta, same answer, total change cost is 1095 USD per ticket as they rebook the higher fare, they say no chance in the system to rebook under the same fare class. While online you can have the same R class but recharge again all taxes.

Not sure there is any system to escalate for a solution, I will wait a bit more but I'm afraid the only choice is to cancel/refund, still in doubt I should then rebook again with them as they are by far the cheapest option but I'm very upset. Thinking to move to Turkish even is 700 USD higher for two tickets, but their connection and is also much better than WY just 2.5 hours layover in IST comparing 7 hours in Muscat.
Old Aug 20, 19, 12:09 am
Original Poster

Last and final update, after calling also the Oman air office in Milan and getting the same answer as above, 1000 Euro charge per ticket, as R discount fare cannot be exchanged with another R fare despite what they are saying on their fare conditions, thus must be aware when you book with them. I gave up and cancel/refund my booking, at least the cancel operation online went straight away with detail of amount to be refunded directly to original credit card without additional filling forms or sent emails.

I'm going to book with TK then, I'm not saying I will never travel with them again but will do only when they will be very cheap and 100% sure I do not need any change schedule, lesson learned.
Old Aug 21, 19, 12:27 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, BA Gold, IHG Gold, Oman Gold
Hi BobFF68. That is very bad. After I wrote last time, I actually found myself having to change the ticket. I had a Business Saver Ticket, Paris to BKK. Needed to change the return leg. Ticket was 1700 euro in the first place. New price for a ticket was coming in over 2000Euro, yet online it only charged me 150 Euro. Still, no idea how it worked but it did. Changed and e-ticket confirmed and seats selected and a free hotel in Muscat as the layover is now17 hours which is fine.
Old Aug 21, 19, 2:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gav0106 View Post
Hi BobFF68. That is very bad. After I wrote last time, I actually found myself having to change the ticket. I had a Business Saver Ticket, Paris to BKK. Needed to change the return leg. Ticket was 1700 euro in the first place. New price for a ticket was coming in over 2000Euro, yet online it only charged me 150 Euro. Still, no idea how it worked but it did. Changed and e-ticket confirmed and seats selected and a free hotel in Muscat as the layover is now17 hours which is fine.
It seems to me that they are tightening their policies now, while I bought the ticket some months ago and was still refundable, if you buy a discounted biz class now R fares are not-refundable, thus in case you need to change (also change fee increased to 200 USD) I expect you stuck in the situation of very expensive rebooking and impossibility to cancel, there is only left the option of a no show with a refund fee of 250 USD.
Old Aug 26, 19, 10:06 pm
Original Poster

To be fair with WY, their refund process went very fast and smooth, after two days the money was already back to my credit card account. I was expecting from 3 to 4 weeks at least same as happened last year with TG.

Search this Thread