Wiki Posts
Search

biz class long haul Kenya Airways 787-8 from JFK

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2019, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA platinum, SPG Gold
biz class long haul Kenya Airways 787-8 from JFK

We'll be flying biz class next month from JFK. Unfortunately, I've read some pretty poor reviews of the service. Looking to book our seats now.. Given the 2 biz class cabin configuration, front cabin rows 1-3 and rear cabin rows 4-5 Seat Guru advises are to keep away from rows 3 and 4 because of proximity to bathrooms and galley. Rows 1 and 2 totally booked flying home but booked 1 G,J on the outbound flight . Rows 3 and 4 are open. Does anyone have experience in this 2nd cabin? Is it bad to sit in row.5 as some have complained of the dividing curtain to coach being annoying as well. vs sitting in row 4 G,J nearer to the galley as it appears that there is a closet in that corner.. Help please.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 9:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
lots of online reviews of KQ business class. Just google them.
forward cabin always better than the second cabin!
Old Aug 12, 2019, 10:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
I believe that, generally speaking, SeatGuru always rates rows next to galleys and bathrooms as ones to avoid even if no one has reported it as being an issue. I have flown in the front and last rows of many aircraft cabins where SeatGuru has warned me against them and not once have I considered the traffic and/or galley noise to be problematic to my ability to sleep or enjoy the flight.
trooper likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 3:15 am
Original Poster

Can you reference those reviews? I can’t find them!
Old Aug 13, 2019, 9:58 am

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
Originally Posted by whenzuc
Can you reference those reviews? I can’t find them!
Just google "kenya airways 787 business class review"
Old Aug 15, 2019, 3:20 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Diamond Club
Does anyone have experience in this 2nd cabin? Is it bad to sit in row.5 as some have complained of the dividing curtain to coach being annoying as well. vs sitting in row 4 G,J nearer to the galley as it appears that there is a closet in that corner.. Help please.
NBO-AMS was flown yesterday, for the very first in the said section at 5A.
Except during boarding, with the busy crowd and, during the entire flight with the engine noise (KQ now does offer a new headset, definitely worse than the previous one). it remained quiet throughout with maybe one/two Y pax trying to sneak out to the J toilet - but kindly denied by the crew. Middle seats seem more silent.
It looks obvious that best seats overall are located at row 2.

If you have more questions about KQ and specifically about your incoming flights, feel free to also check this thread out:

Kenya Airways announces daily non-stop flights to JFK

Also, don't forget to share your feedbacks afterwards too
Old Aug 15, 2019, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

Unfortunately row 2 totally booked both ways !
Old Aug 20, 2019, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
I’ve flown this route many times. I have found the service to be quite good, and the multi-course breakfast is great. My preferred seats are in the center section of rows 2 and 3. I’ve sat in row 3 many times and have not been bothered by noise.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 11:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I’ll also note that I find rows 1 and 4 to be the least desirable. The footrest and IFE screens are both smaller.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 3:49 am
Original Poster

Thanks. I’m moving myself out of row one now. For both flights center row three is available as is row 2 center. However, I read that there is no overhead storage in center row 2 as the crew rest area is above. Do you have a preference for row 2 or row 3 center?

Last edited by whenzuc; Aug 21, 2019 at 3:56 am Reason: Added
Old Aug 21, 2019, 4:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks. I’m moving myself out of row one now. For both flights center row three is available as is row 2 center. However, I read that there is no overhead storage in center row 2 as the crew rest area is above. Do you have a preference for row 2 or row 3 center?
I have never had an issue finding overhead storage space, irrespective of where I’ve sat. While there is no storage directly above the center section of row 2, there’s plenty above the seats across the aisle. Don’t make a decision on that basis.

I actually prefer row 3 for one reason: I like to be the first off the plane upon arrival. Row 3 gets me off approximately 5 seconds before the person in row 2.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by Blumie
I actually prefer row 3 for one reason: I like to be the first off the plane upon arrival. Row 3 gets me off approximately 5 seconds before the person in row 2.
That depends on how quick you are, I've got out first plenty of times while sitting in row 2 (or the equivalent on other airlines)
Old Oct 20, 2020, 10:02 pm

is there any plan to install wifi on their planes? particularly 787s
Old Oct 21, 2020, 7:23 am

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
Originally Posted by deltatrav
is there any plan to install wifi on their planes? particularly 787s
None that I've heard. They did have wifi on their 77Ws so one could have been hopeful but with their financial situation, I would be surprised if they make the investment

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.