Likelihood of MS JFK-CAI Getting 787

Old Jul 13, 19, 9:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Statusless and proud
Likelihood of MS JFK-CAI Getting 787

Anyone more familiar than myself with Egyptair have any insight to their schedule of 787 acquisitions and the likelihood one will get put on the JFK-CAI flight eventually? Looking at booking a C award for next summer (late June) and JFK-CAI seems to be more wide open than WAS-CAI. Adding to the difficulty in booking, I'm trying to book for four people, but JFK-CAI has been reasonably consistent with four awards right at 330 days out. Thanks in advance.

Chris
Old Jul 14, 19, 5:26 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by JayhawkCO View Post
Anyone more familiar than myself with Egyptair have any insight to their schedule of 787 acquisitions and the likelihood one will get put on the JFK-CAI flight eventually? Looking at booking a C award for next summer (late June) and JFK-CAI seems to be more wide open than WAS-CAI. Adding to the difficulty in booking, I'm trying to book for four people, but JFK-CAI has been reasonably consistent with four awards right at 330 days out. Thanks in advance.

Chris
I booked 2 business award seats JFK-CAI in December and the seat map show the 787. Also the flights from YYZ also indicate a switch from 777 to 787.
Old Jul 19, 19, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cheltzel View Post
I booked 2 business award seats JFK-CAI in December and the seat map show the 787. Also the flights from YYZ also indicate a switch from 777 to 787.
Unfortunately next summer they're still currently scheduled to run the 777-300 in the JFK routes. To try to get the new business class, availability ex-IAD or ex-YYZ is definitely fewer and farther between.

Chris
Old Jul 20, 19, 7:56 am

Unfortunately next summer they're still currently scheduled to run the 777-300 in the JFK routes. To try to get the new business class, availability ex-IAD or ex-YYZ is definitely fewer and farther between.

Chris
I see the switch of JFK from 789 to 77W around April 1. But YYZ is also switched to 77W next spring/summer.

I looked at the availability of 2 business saver award seats on the IAD-CAI flight and it actually looks pretty good. The table below is a snip of an award search for 2 business seats on the IAD-CAI flight (non-stops only) and it seems to be every day they fly the last 3 weeks of May and 1st 2 weeks of June 2020. You won't see anything later than this as you hit the 330 day limit for UA awards.

Last edited by cheltzel; Jul 20, 19 at 8:05 am
Old Jul 20, 19, 9:31 am
Original Poster

I see the switch of JFK from 789 to 77W around April 1. But YYZ is also switched to 77W next spring/summer.

I looked at the availability of 2 business saver award seats on the IAD-CAI flight and it actually looks pretty good. The table below is a snip of an award search for 2 business seats on the IAD-CAI flight (non-stops only) and it seems to be every day they fly the last 3 weeks of May and 1st 2 weeks of June 2020. You won't see anything later than this as you hit the 330 day limit for UA awards.

Thanks for that. Unfortunately my final destination is WDH and there doesn't seem to be any availability on Wednesdays, Fridays, nor Sundays to get from CAI to WDH. If I fly ex-JFK, there is availability in business the whole way down.

Chris
Old Jul 20, 19, 4:49 pm

Thanks for that. Unfortunately my final destination is WDH and there doesn't seem to be any availability on Wednesdays, Fridays, nor Sundays to get from CAI to WDH. If I fly ex-JFK, there is availability in business the whole way down.

Chris
Connecting on MS from IAD to WDH via JNB is basically impossible. Layovers at CAI have to be over 24 hours as the frequency of the IAD-CAI flights are really out of sync with the CAI-JNB flights. The only possible <24 hours connection is on the Saturday IAD-CAI flight connecting to the Sunday departure CAI-JNB. IMO you would be better off trying to book ORD/YYZ/IAD-ADD-WDH award flights on ET and hope you can switch to other *A carriers closer in if you are not interested in flying on ET.

Last edited by cheltzel; Jul 20, 19 at 5:05 pm
Old Jul 20, 19, 11:22 pm
Original Poster

Connecting on MS from IAD to WDH via JNB is basically impossible. Layovers at CAI have to be over 24 hours as the frequency of the IAD-CAI flights are really out of sync with the CAI-JNB flights. The only possible <24 hours connection is on the Saturday IAD-CAI flight connecting to the Sunday departure CAI-JNB. IMO you would be better off trying to book ORD/YYZ/IAD-ADD-WDH award flights on ET and hope you can switch to other *A carriers closer in if you are not interested in flying on ET.
For sure. The only days I had found that worked with a IAD departure were Saturdays, but having tracked the "release" schedule of the different airlines, I wouldn't be able to book a return two weeks later if I departed on a Saturday. JFK-CAI-JNB-WDH on Wednesdays seems to be consistent (and is currently available for my date of departure, but I'm just waiting for my Excursionist Perk and return to come online). That's why I was really hoping the JFK flights would end up getting the new business class by next summer. Or, I was hoping somehow I could get IAD-CAI-ADD-WDH, but that combo does not seem to ever pop up with 4 seats in C. We were trying to book a long layover in CAI to do the typical pyramids/museum stuff, but there is also direct JFK-JNB availability on my date right now too.

Chris

Last edited by JayhawkCO; Jul 20, 19 at 11:27 pm
Old Aug 9, 19, 9:26 am

Chris
I was looking for CAI-JFK for July 2020 and agree that the system shows 777. I spoke with the New York office agent and he indicated that the 787 is in effect from Nov 2019 and that the program just hasnít updated to reflect 787 in summer 2020. Is it likely the agent knew what he was talking about or just guessing? Where did you get the info that it will still be 777 next summer? Iím only interested in that flight if itís the new plane!
Old Aug 10, 19, 1:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by circky View Post

I was looking for CAI-JFK for July 2020 and agree that the system shows 777. I spoke with the New York office agent and he indicated that the 787 is in effect from Nov 2019 and that the program just hasn’t updated to reflect 787 in summer 2020. Is it likely the agent knew what he was talking about or just guessing? Where did you get the info that it will still be 777 next summer? I’m only interested in that flight if it’s the new plane!
I believe it will be the 777 based on a) United showing that that's the plane in question and b) getting assigned seats that match the 777 seat map and not the 787 (we're in 10A & 10C but the 787 doesn't have a "C" seat). That said, when I called into EgyptAir to make the seat assignments, the recording definitely mentioned JFK being on the new business class. I'm slightly over 10 months away from flying it, so let's hope for a change by then I suppose. EDIT: Looks like it changes from the 787 to 777 on 3/29/20.

Chris

Last edited by JayhawkCO; Aug 11, 19 at 9:58 pm Reason: Found out the date of the switch
Old Sep 3, 19, 11:49 am
Original Poster

Just as an update to this, looking past March 29th, the six 787s are allocated to IAD, CDG, FRA, DXB, PEK, and NRT. Hopefully that changes before next summer. Not that I'm not cheering for the IAD route to pan out, but if it happens to bite the dust, hopefully they'd switch that bird over to JFK.

Chris

Search this Thread