Wiki Posts
Search

Cairo international air departure

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2019, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Cairo international air departure

I've heard it's a real nightmare getting through everything to your gate in Cairo. I am booked in Air France with an 8am departure, and I've never been in Egypt before. Will it be as horrific as I've heard? I am an American citizen flying business class. Should I hire one of those assist services? When should I get to the airport? I will be in Cairo somewhere the night before (not sure where-the tour puts me up somewhere, perhaps one of the Hiltons.) Thanks for any help anyone can give. I will be traveling with a duffel bag and a backpack.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 11:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
I've done it a dozen times or so, it's not a big deal honestly. Don't buy into the horror stories you are referencing. You go through a basic security x-ray when you enter the airport, but this is typical in many parts of the world and not exclusive to Egypt. Then you go through another before you get to the check-in area which is more or less the same as the first. Then you go through immigration after check-in, and finally security of your carry on(s) at the gate. I personally don't allow any more time departing CAI than I do at any other airport in the developing world. Basically 2 hours is PLENTY from curbside to departure. As long as you're in the queue for the gate security before they close it, you're fine. No need to rush out of the lounge the second they announce "go to gate", because you'll just be sitting in a sparse holding area for another half hour, I'd stay in the lounge until "real" boarding is just about to start.
MKEorigin and 42000ft like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.