Search

Ethiopian baggage

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2016, 2:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, FB Gold, Bonvoy Titanium / LTP, Accor Plat
Ethiopian baggage

Perhaps I'm being dim but does anyone know how to find out the baggage allowance on Ethiopian?

Their website is wonderfully confusing:

Free baggage allowance on all other international routes and within Ethiopia

On Ethiopian free baggage allowance is set by the weight or piece concept whichever is applicable to the sector.

Free baggage allowance on long-haul flights

For numerous long-haul flights the Piece Concept applies. This means that adult passenger may check in up to two pieces of baggage in addition to his carry-on baggage free of charge.
Great, but how do you know whether your flight is a piece or weight concept sector?

(I'm looking to fly GVA-FRA-ADD-DAR return, if that helps.)

Cheers!
Old Jul 2, 2016, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by typical
Perhaps I'm being dim but does anyone know how to find out the baggage allowance on Ethiopian?
Check your e-ticket receipt. Your baggage allowance depends on your fare class and your routing and will be printed there.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks, but booking with them would be based on the luggage question... Lot of effort to book a fully refundable ticket first just to find out
Old Jul 2, 2016, 12:57 pm

Thanks, but booking with them would be based on the luggage question... Lot of effort to book a fully refundable ticket first just to find out
A fully refundable ticket may have a different baggage allowance than another fare class.

For European routes and tickets originating in Europe, the baggage allowance should be 40K for most Economy Class fares.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 2:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by B747-437B
A fully refundable ticket may have a different baggage allowance than another fare class.

For European routes and tickets originating in Europe, the baggage allowance should be 40K for most Economy Class fares.
Really? Good grief, that's complicated.

Ok, so 60kg with the Gold extra. That's not bad. Shame there seems to be no way to know in advance, but it's better than the alternatives.

Thanks!
Old Jul 3, 2016, 6:01 am

If you have significantly more luggage to carry, it may be worth contacting your local Ethiopian Airlines office to negotiate a special excess baggage rate. They can usually give you a 50-75% discount if you have 100+ pieces to check-in and book at least a week in advance.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Nah, not a huge amount, but more than the 45k I'd get in TK for example. Thanks!
Old Jul 3, 2016, 7:25 am

Nah, not a huge amount, but more than the 45k I'd get in TK for example. Thanks!
You'll probably be fine then even if you go a few kilos over - especially as *G. They are more focussed on the traders carrying tons (literally) of baggage.
Old Jul 4, 2016, 4:03 am

Check your e-ticket receipt. Your baggage allowance depends on your fare class and your routing and will be printed there.
Viewing my booking on ethiopian website there's 0 bags included , while if I check on the OTA etkt receipt there's written 2pcs of 20kgs max (each? total?)
I'm *G and it's an O fare.
Old Jul 4, 2016, 7:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by Sciamano
Viewing my booking on ethiopian website there's 0 bags included , while if I check on the OTA etkt receipt there's written 2pcs of 20kgs max (each? total?)
I'm *G and it's an O fare.
I've personally never seen 2x 20kg. My eticket always has 40kg from Tokyo. Last time the counter agent actually tried to tell me one was overweight (my diving bag is about 30kg) and that if I don't repack I'd have to pay. I pointed out the 40kg allowance and it was no problem. 30kg bag got checked in as is. That ticket was purchased directly through ET I believe. They didn't even bat an eye rechecking the same bag on the return in CAI.

I've never flown with enough luggage on ET to test how they deal with *G, so don't know if it's an extra 20kg or 40kg.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 12:12 am

Originally Posted by dvs7310
I've never flown with enough luggage on ET to test how they deal with *G, so don't know if it's an extra 20kg or 40kg.
*G gets 40kg+20kg. I've checked up to 65kg without any questions.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 12:20 pm

My ticket for september just says 2 PC for Baggage with a missing baggage allowance on one ethiopian segment....
Old Jul 5, 2016, 6:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by want2fly4less
My ticket for september just says 2 PC for Baggage with a missing baggage allowance on one ethiopian segment....
You must be originating or terminating in a piece concept country then. Typically then that's 2x 23kg for economy or 2x 32kg for business class. These also vary though, so still dependent on which of the piece concept countries is involved.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 7:57 am

I've personally never seen 2x 20kg. My eticket always has 40kg from Tokyo. Last time the counter agent actually tried to tell me one was overweight (my diving bag is about 30kg) and that if I don't repack I'd have to pay. I pointed out the 40kg allowance and it was no problem. 30kg bag got checked in as is. That ticket was purchased directly through ET I believe. They didn't even bat an eye rechecking the same bag on the return in CAI.

*G gets 40kg+20kg. I've checked up to 65kg without any questions.
You must be originating or terminating in a piece concept country then. Typically then that's 2x 23kg for economy or 2x 32kg for business class. These also vary though, so still dependent on which of the piece concept countries is involved.

I've a FCO-HKG and a FCO-JNB. Both r/t and in economy. What should I expect?
Old Jul 6, 2016, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I gave up and booked TK... who will give me 3x23kg.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.