Oman Air - Long Names and how to escalate ?

Old Apr 28, 19, 6:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Plus (*A Gold), FB Gold (SkyTeam Elite+), LCAH Gold
Oman Air - Long Names and how to escalate ?

Hello!

I am hoping someone with experience raising customer service issues with Oman Air can help. I found a good fare ex. Asia to Paris and went ahead and booked for me and my partner a one way business class fare with a layover in Muscat.

While trying to do the booking - that I did on purpose through their website - it has a very limited character count for the names. Both mine and my partner name wouldnt fit. A error message is shown saying it needs to be (between first and last name) x characters.

My rationale was that if I booked with the correct first and incomplete last name (note incomplete not incorrect) I could just call right after and have them put the proper one. That's what I did and was on the phone around 10min after having booked.

To my utter surprise they told me it was not possible to make a change in the name and the only way would be to cancel the ticket and refund (minus a penalty nearly 1/3 of the ticket price). I've asked this to be raised by a manager and when called later to check in they told me there was nothing to do and this was it and next time I should have booked over the phone or with an OTA.

I was baffled. I mean... The name is correct, although incomplete. The only reason being their site didn't allow me to. I called 10min after booking.

I am excited to try their business class product (specially because is going to be over my birthday!) but this seriously put me off.

With other airlines , specially with premium passengers, there seems to be a level of willingness to help. Not here.

What would you do in my case? Im thinking I should act asap. Any contact that this can be raised to?

Thanks so much for any tips.
Old Apr 29, 19, 2:10 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA
Why didn't you call before making the booking, if you knew you were going to call anyway?
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 30, 19, 5:14 am

Programs: EY Guest Gold, QR Burgundy, EK Blue, LH M&M, SQ Krisflyer
Did you try to contact also through their twitter channel with a private message, normally they are quite fast in responding. I would also try to contact the local office in your country to amend the ticket.

While your disappointment is understandable, when a booking is confirmed and paid is done, after 10 minutes or 1 month it doesn't matter, any change will incur in a penalty unless you have a full flex ticket. After noticing the technical issue a phone booking would have been the best solution.
nancypants likes this.
Old May 3, 19, 8:49 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
As a big fan of Oman Air, I can only empathise with your predicament.

Both previous respondents are absolutely correct in saying that there were easier / better ways of making your booking ..... but whatís done is done.

This policy by WY is of course far from unique, but is nonetheless an unpleasant reminder of how harsh the world of business can be and in such situations Iíd say we would all like to think there is a more Ďamicableí way of resolving things. Letís hope you can somehow get hold of someone with the necessary authority to agree a pragmatic solution.
Old May 11, 19, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

Well... I'll agree I could have called. I didn't think of it that way. Looking back should I? Probably. Lesson learned. Still, I don't think that what I was asking for, in light of the reasons I was asking for wad extraordinary or unfair.

I ended up being able to change it for a small fee. That worked out. But I had to email a bunch of people until one responded, correctly, it didn't make sense and would try to help. They did.

To the argument of "it's ticket conditions etc" I can only say I agree. And if I was calling to change a date or whatever not that would make sense. My point, which thankfully resonated with someone was that I was not asking for a change because I wanted it but because there was a technical glitch and no proper info on how to act in such case. I run a business and making my clients accountable / responsible for issues arising from a fault on my end sounds... Not too customer centric at best ?

Anyways happy to report it's fixed and looking forward to enjoying their product.
Old Oct 5, 19, 12:34 am

long name - Oman Air

Hi, we are facing the same issue. Do you mind to guide us what did you do to get the issue fixed.

thank you in advance!

nadia

Originally Posted by ricardojrsousa View Post
Well... I'll agree I could have called. I didn't think of it that way. Looking back should I? Probably. Lesson learned. Still, I don't think that what I was asking for, in light of the reasons I was asking for wad extraordinary or unfair.

I ended up being able to change it for a small fee. That worked out. But I had to email a bunch of people until one responded, correctly, it didn't make sense and would try to help. They did.

To the argument of "it's ticket conditions etc" I can only say I agree. And if I was calling to change a date or whatever not that would make sense. My point, which thankfully resonated with someone was that I was not asking for a change because I wanted it but because there was a technical glitch and no proper info on how to act in such case. I run a business and making my clients accountable / responsible for issues arising from a fault on my end sounds... Not too customer centric at best ?

Anyways happy to report it's fixed and looking forward to enjoying their product.
Old Oct 7, 19, 7:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NdLk View Post
Hi, we are facing the same issue. Do you mind to guide us what did you do to get the issue fixed.

thank you in advance!

nadia

Hello Nadia! This indeed sucks. Try their twitter support. They are pretty good and I ended up paying but just a very small fraction of what they wanted.

Search this Thread