Oman Air Business Class, how good?

Old Apr 21, 2019, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
I took the evening departure in F this week and indeed it appears to have changed - WY102 was previously a full dinner then a full breakfast before landing, it’s now dinner then ‘refreshments’ before landing which are basically snacks. A fairly big catering downgrade sadly but there was a lot of food on offer for so such a short flight before.

I also connected to MCT-KUL day flight in F and that was breakfast and then ‘refreshments’ before landing, but not sure if that was also two meals before.
Sounds like it might be across the board then. Shame. The crew on my flight said lots of passengers had been complaining about it and were actively handing out comment forms.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 5:06 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Johnnieboy
Sounds like it might be across the board then. Shame. The crew on my flight said lots of passengers had been complaining about it and were actively handing out comment forms.
Similar for the two return legs - KUL-MCT morning flight was lunch then 'refreshments' before landing, MCT-LHR overnight flight was 'refreshments' after departure then breakfast before landing so I think the two full meals is definitely dead. Amusingly, I was told at first on MCT-LHR I could only have one item from the refreshments menu when I tried to order two items (the F cabin had annoyingly gone from me being the only F passenger to 8/8 in the couple of days before the flight). Both dishes then appeared without comment, so bit of a weird miscommunication issue and not sure if they decided to prioritize orders on ticket type / status.

In general I don't know what to make of WY, some of it is spectacular and some of it is not great. Given there is so little info on WY F online I will probably do a trip report if I get chance, but basically in summary the two MCT-KUL and KUL-MCT flights had a mediocre hard product but spectacular service (probably helped by me being the only F passenger for both legs), the two LHR-MCT and MCT-LHR flights had a beautiful hard product but relatively mediocre service. Not sure what to make of WY!
Old Apr 25, 2019, 6:22 am
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, Amex Plat
Similar for the two return legs - KUL-MCT morning flight was lunch then 'refreshments' before landing, MCT-LHR overnight flight was 'refreshments' after departure then breakfast before landing so I think the two full meals is definitely dead. Amusingly, I was told at first on MCT-LHR I could only have one item from the refreshments menu when I tried to order two items (the F cabin had annoyingly gone from me being the only F passenger to 8/8 in the couple of days before the flight). Both dishes then appeared without comment, so bit of a weird miscommunication issue and not sure if they decided to prioritize orders on ticket type / status.

In general I don't know what to make of WY, some of it is spectacular and some of it is not great. Given there is so little info on WY F online I will probably do a trip report if I get chance, but basically in summary the two MCT-KUL and KUL-MCT flights had a mediocre hard product but spectacular service (probably helped by me being the only F passenger for both legs), the two LHR-MCT and MCT-LHR flights had a beautiful hard product but relatively mediocre service. Not sure what to make of WY!
Interesting stuff. A trip report would be v interesting to see.

I too find WY a strange fish. I contacted them many weeks back on e-mail (twice) regarding a status match - never to hear back from them, so contacted them again but via social media & they said that they would look into it with the Sinbad team. Since then? Nada! Their loss, as I have since spent $$ on J tix with CX/others..
Old Apr 26, 2019, 3:30 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hilton Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Tit, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by NoY
I contacted them many weeks back on e-mail (twice) regarding a status match - never to hear back from them, so contacted them again but via social media & they said that they would look into it with the Sinbad team. Since then? Nada!
I must have been lucky with WY customer service. My status match was confirmed within a couple of days. Moreover, I've had three recent EU261/2000 claims paid up promptly without a quibble. Even with some downgrades in business class service (eg catering, limo) it's still a solid product.
NoY likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by NoY
Interesting stuff. A trip report would be v interesting to see.

I too find WY a strange fish. I contacted them many weeks back on e-mail (twice) regarding a status match - never to hear back from them, so contacted them again but via social media & they said that they would look into it with the Sinbad team. Since then? Nada! Their loss, as I have since spent $$ on J tix with CX/others..
I have started one in the Trip Report section
NoY and Professional Bum like this.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 9:21 am

Programs: QR Gold, WY Gold, TK Elite, EY Silver,
Originally Posted by Andrew_G
I must have been lucky with WY customer service. My status match was confirmed within a couple of days.
+1
Just sent the request by mail last Friday 26, today less than 48 hours I got the confirmation for my Gold status match and 2 Silver status match I requested with same email for wife and daughter.
Emailed copies of our EY cards, transaction report, and copy of 2 J WY bookings CGK to Europe already booked with family members for next May and November.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 9:43 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
Watching eagerly for the next ex-KUL or CGK special so I can try WY.
Old May 2, 2019, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by Isochronous
Just my assumption, at least ex CGK this year not sure we will see the same super offers as last year to Europe at 1 K USD or below with oil price trend and cost cuts. Last year is the same period there was a race of the cheapest offer, including EY and QR, this year nothing special to mention. Still now WY offering by far the best prices in J to EU around 1.5 K USD, TK is 20% higher and QR EK 60% more.
Old May 2, 2019, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Isochronous
I see roundtrip fares from CGK to Munich at IDR 21,289,00 or USD 1,500 in November. There could be more great fares to various destinations out there.
Old May 2, 2019, 11:38 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum
I'm actually keenest to visit Muscat - do they ever do the deals just to Muscat or do they always require a transit?
Old May 4, 2019, 1:08 pm

Programs: WY SL, EK Gold, CX MPO

I actually prefer this meal service as two full meals were quite overwhelming, especially on the EU legs. Were any of you actually that hungry to have 2 full meals on a 6 hour flight? I was never able to finish the second meal or just rather ordered the appetiser instead. Shame we don't have the flexibility anymore, though compared to their competitors I still think WY catering excels.
Old May 4, 2019, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by HKprince
I actually prefer this meal service as two full meals were quite overwhelming, especially on the EU legs. Were any of you actually that hungry to have 2 full meals on a 6 hour flight? I was never able to finish the second meal or just rather ordered the appetiser instead. Shame we don't have the flexibility anymore, though compared to their competitors I still think WY catering excels.
Nobody is forcing you to eat both full meals if they’re available!

What I like in particular on an overnight flight is having the option of a light snack after takeoff then a full breakfast before landing or having a full dinner after takeoff instead if I’m hungry enough. I don’t always want the meal option on offer if it’s either/or. Agree that having both in 7 hours is a lot of food but if someone is hungry enough I’m happy for them to have the option!
Old May 5, 2019, 9:28 am

Programs: WY SL, EK Gold, CX MPO
Nobody is forcing you to eat both full meals if they’re available!

What I like in particular on an overnight flight is having the option of a light snack after takeoff then a full breakfast before landing or having a full dinner after takeoff instead if I’m hungry enough. I don’t always want the meal option on offer if it’s either/or. Agree that having both in 7 hours is a lot of food but if someone is hungry enough I’m happy for them to have the option!
Well the good thing is the service is still dine on demand, so you could easily swap over the meals or select dishes from the other service if you'd like (and they're available), although I find the crew assume you will dine in the usual schedule -straight after takeoff and shortly before landing.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 10:38 am

Already one week since I came back from my CGK MXP J return trip with family and wanted to share a sort of mini report. I travel the same route regularly 2-3 times/year, my terms of comparison are EY which I flown different times since the last 3 year, one single trial with SV and my last trip was end of 2018 with QR.

At CGK I was for the first time at T3 where I met the only underwhelming episode of the whole trip that is the Sapphire lounge near gate 7 (not the Sapphire by Premium Plaza near gate 5), definitely a sub par lounge which reminds the Pura Indah Lounge at T2, even more need to use the outside toilets and no flight monitors can be found inside. I understand that lounge offer at T3 is very limited but definitely any airline using this lounge gives to customers (including TK, CI and others) a very cheap image, no need to go earlier to "enjoy" the lounge, can be ok only for credit card complimentary access, even paying more than 15 USD to enter I would consider a robbery.

Once on board seats are definitely one of the best in business class, I did not found relevant differences between and 330 and 787 apart from bigger windows and newer interiors of this last, even concerning cabin wideness not feeling more cramped on 330 as seats looks exactly the same. As I was traveling with wife and young daughter I found more comfortable using the window seats couples and the near center seats as we were sharing same aisle and FA.

Soft product was in general good on all legs, FA always introduced themselves and enough responsive, perhaps sometimes in a robotic manner and taking longer to respond during meal service period, I would say I rate them better than average EY but here is where QR in my opinion is superior as their cabin crew is still unbeatable in term of interaction with customer, responsiveness and care in general, going the extra mile, also with children for instance. To be fair need to add on all WY flights J cabin was full while last November with QR was only 50% occupancy or slightly more.

Sleeping pads were given together with blankets on night flights making the sleep even more comfortable, by comparison on QR I did not see them or at least were not voluntary offered, the opposite about pajamas, they were distributed only by request on WY while always offered on QR, by the way I never wear PJs on 6-8 hours flights.

About catering overall I found the food quality on WY superior than QR also in term of options, (food was the only aspect that disappointed me on QR, especially the breakfast) only the vegetarian lasagna was meh. I'm not a big eater and for me the option of one full service and one snack on a 7-8 hours flight was more than enough, furthermore dine on demand is implemented thus you can always adjust according to your own appetite, even cabin were full never happened to us that one of selected options run empty. At departure from Jakarta still during Ramadan I was (positively) surprised Champagne were actively offered, directly by glass and not poured from bottle at seat. For kids, no fancy lunch box that is given on QR when you book child meal, QR also offers better toys/child amenities.

We had a long layover in MCT that I also reported here Jakarta (CGK) T3 Check-In and Lounge

For the return trip a couple of things more to mention, at check in in Milan I was surprised the agent offering business class passengers to be accompanied to the Montale lounge
by dedicated personnel, something I only heard for First class, did not happened either at CGK nor MCT; we did not use this service as were going to visit some shops along the way to lounge.
While in Italy after checking return flight status on FR24 I noticed from June 3rd WY started operating MCT-CGK on a wet leased SriLankan A330, thus for the return flight no WY 787 again, they are using this plane for this route only, maybe due to lack of AC during this high season as B737 grounding is for sure not helping. Flight service itself was still good with a mixed cabin crew SriLankan and Oman air, hard product is not bad, still new and with lie flat 1-2-1 configuration, but comparing to WY seats was still a sort of downgrade, I was seating 1A and I found it more cramped for sleeping due to feet cubicle and I'm only 172 cm, while first row center seats foot ottoman was much bigger, in addition the seat cushion was harder for sleeping even using the pad. Hopefully the 787 will be back to service after high season on this route, not sure why but ME airlines seem to consider CGK like a 2nd grade route mostly putting inferior/older equipment comparing to Europe or SIN/HKG for instance.

Overall impression was positive and I'm definitely satisfied about the product, I consider Oman Air business class the best bargain from CGK as they offer one of the best products and by the time their fares to Europe are unbeatable. Schedule from Jakarta may be not convenient for some due to long layover in Muscat as in most cases shorter connection to Europe still requires 6-7 hours, about me I will chose to to fly again with them for the future.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.