Oman Air Business Class, how good?

Old Mar 17, 2019, 6:47 pm
Original Poster

Oman Air Business Class, how good?

Hello everyone!

I am seriously considering Oman Air for a trip over Christmas. I saw a deal for a multi-city trip from Manila to Brussels and then Prague to Manila on business class priced at US$2,000. This is about 35% cheaper compared to Qatar Airways at this point. I have not flown via Oman Air yet so I am unsure of what to expect. I am also debating with myself if I should book now or wait a bit, hoping that either QR would offer a rate close to this or Oman Air's price would drop a bit more. Is Oman Air's J class good? Should I grab the tickets now?

Last edited by Professional Bum; Mar 18, 2019 at 7:53 am
Old Mar 18, 2019, 4:19 am

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Have flown 11 WY J sectors in 2019 and they are fast becoming one of my favourite airlines. The seats are currently my favourite J seats in the skies as they are very private and give you a true rectangular bed with decent space. The finishes and colours of the cabin are also pretty nice. The fleet is very new with the majority of flights operated by 787s which leaves you feeling a lot fresher at the other end.

The lounge is very nice in MCT with a good food selection. I just wish the showers were proper private rooms as I prefer to do my shaving/combing etc on a private room.

Food is great onboard and more importantly for me the meal service is dine on demand so I can eat when I like. Service on my flights was consistently very good.

Overall I prefer flying them to QR because their overall service is just as good but I prefer the seat. Also WY is more of a boutique airline so it doesn’t feel as though it caters to the masses as much (smaller new airport and smaller less busy lounge).

At that price I would book now. I guarantee you will be pleasantly surprised!

Old Mar 18, 2019, 5:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pogonation
The lounge is very nice in MCT with a good food selection. I just wish the showers were proper private rooms as I prefer to do my shaving/combing etc on a private room.
I also take a shower during transit and this got me a little bit curious. Are they not like the ones in Al Mourjan, where one is assigned a private room that has a shower, toilet and sink?

I should really grab those tickets now. Thank you!
Old Mar 18, 2019, 7:26 am

I would agree. The narrow body business seat is nothing to get excited about but the new wide body J seats are great, especially by the window.

I actually think the food on board is better than QR these days, and there are more choices. Good quality wines too.

Go for it, that price sounds good for the time of year.
Professional Bum and Dav77 like this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 1:06 pm

Programs: Accor Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond , Amex Platinum
I’ll flight Oman for my first time too on next Christmas from MPX to BKK with some days stopover in Muscat

always flown Emirates to south east Asia since 15 years ago. Now, thanks to Oman very good rates (2 k round trip x person) we will try both the 787 and the 330

what would be the best seats on both planes (business) ?

Thanks
Old Mar 20, 2019, 8:01 am

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
IMO WY J Is way better than EK J so I am sure you will enjoy it. For a single traveller 15A/K are my favourite on the 787. Very private in the mini cabin!

i haven’t flown the A330 but would just choose any A/K seat next to the window.
Dav77 likes this.

Last edited by pogonation; Mar 21, 2019 at 12:56 pm
Old Apr 3, 2019, 8:36 pm
Original Poster

I just want to update you that I was able to purchase the tickets at US$2000 per passenger. I did a trial booking today for the exact same itinerary and it now costs US$3175 per passenger. What surprised me is that they are now adding YQ at US$610, which didn't appear on my tickets when I booked them.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 9:17 pm

Programs: QR Gold, WY Gold, TK Elite, EY Silver,
Originally Posted by Professional Bum
I just want to update you that I was able to purchase the tickets at US$2000 per passenger. I did a trial booking today for the exact same itinerary and it now costs US$3175 per passenger. What surprised me is that they are now adding YQ at US$610, which didn't appear on my tickets when I booked them.
Wow, Ex MNL definitely expensive comparing EX CGK, just bought a ticket for next November at 1600 USD to MXP, from here WY discount prices fares almost always open. YQ is 450 USD on my ticket. For my next trip to Italy during Idul Fitri in June, last September I paid a total of 4300 USD for 2 adults and 1 child. Next time maybe you can evaluate whether a transit in CGK is worth.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 10:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BobFF68
Wow, Ex MNL definitely expensive comparing EX CGK, just bought a ticket for next November at 1600 USD to MXP, from here WY discount prices fares almost always open. YQ is 450 USD on my ticket. For my next trip to Italy during Idul Fitri in June, last September I paid a total of 4300 USD for 2 adults and 1 child. Next time maybe you can evaluate whether a transit in CGK is worth.
I was able to see these tickets you mentioned and the ex-CGK rates are really good! Even with YQ they are still coming out cheaper! The only issue I guess are the long layovers in Muscat. It looks like the timing of flights coming from Jakarta are not great when connecting to European destinations. I will definitely consider taking this route if the price difference on the dates I need to travel is significant. Thank you for the suggestion!
Old Apr 4, 2019, 1:26 am

Programs: QR Gold, WY Gold, TK Elite, EY Silver,
Originally Posted by Professional Bum
The only issue I guess are the long layovers in Muscat. It looks like the timing of flights coming from Jakarta are not great when connecting to European destinations
Definitely, even now on weekends they added a 2nd flight to MXP you still have 6-7 hours layover other than 19+ hours the other days. Can be ok for a holiday but not that attractive for a business trip, sure one of the reason why they have to keep lower prices. In any case often even TK, EY and QR ranges between 2000 to 2400 USD from CGK out of peak seasons.
Professional Bum likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 6:30 pm

^ for the lounge at MCT
Professional Bum likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 5:14 am

Depends on which plane you are taking I would say. The Dreamliner has amazing seat but many route still use 737 which is just the recliner seat. They are comfortable enough. The service is also good. It's like they put all their service effort in the business class. Also good lounge at MCT.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Amame
Depends on which plane you are taking I would say. The Dreamliner has amazing seat but many route still use 737 which is just the recliner seat. They are comfortable enough. The service is also good. It's like they put all their service effort in the business class. Also good lounge at MCT.
All A330s (-200 and -300) from Manila to Muscat to Munich and back. I think most of their A330s now have the Apex Suites, except for a couple that still has the older 1-2-1 open suites plus a first class cabin. At least from what I have read, the older configuration with open suites are actually good.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 12:06 am

As of this month there's been a bit of a catering downgrade. The morning departure from LHR used to serve a full breakfast menu and a full lunch menu in J. Now it's just the breakfast and a sort of canapé snack plate. Bit disappointing really, I'd rather they offered a snack breakfast and a proper lunch on a flight that arrives early evening, but airlines seem to love to serve breakfast. Maybe eggs are cheaper than steak... Anyone got any experience of this on other WY routes?
Old Apr 21, 2019, 1:20 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Johnnieboy
As of this month there's been a bit of a catering downgrade. The morning departure from LHR used to serve a full breakfast menu and a full lunch menu in J. Now it's just the breakfast and a sort of canapé snack plate. Bit disappointing really, I'd rather they offered a snack breakfast and a proper lunch on a flight that arrives early evening, but airlines seem to love to serve breakfast. Maybe eggs are cheaper than steak... Anyone got any experience of this on other WY routes?
I took the evening departure in F this week and indeed it appears to have changed - WY102 was previously a full dinner then a full breakfast before landing, it’s now dinner then ‘refreshments’ before landing which are basically snacks. A fairly big catering downgrade sadly but there was a lot of food on offer for so such a short flight before.

I also connected to MCT-KUL day flight in F and that was breakfast and then ‘refreshments’ before landing, but not sure if that was also two meals before.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.