Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other Middle Eastern and African Airlines
Reload this Page >

Ethiopian Airlines: Boeing 737 Max 8 crashes on way to Kenya [ET302 ADD-NBO 10MAR19]

Old Mar 13, 2019, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Boeing 737 MAX 8 ET 302 registration ET-AVJ from Addis Ababa (Ethiopia) to Nairobi (Kenya) with 149 passengers and 8 crew, was lost 10 March 2019 shortly after takeoff at 08:44L (05:44Z). There were no survivors.

Boeing 737 MAX 8 registration ET-AVJ performing flight ET-302 from Addis Ababa (Ethiopia) to Nairobi (Kenya) with 149 passengers and 8 crew, departed Addis Ababa's runway 07R and was climbing out of Addis Ababa when the aircraft levelled off at about 9000 feet MSL, radar contact was lost shortly after at 08:44L (05:44Z). The aircraft wreckage was found near Ejere at approximate position N8.8772 E39.2512. No survivors were found.

In a subsequent press conference on Mar 10th 2019 Ethiopian Airlines reported the crew reported difficulties and requested a return to Addis Ababa. The captain was with Ethiopian Airlines for 9 years and had about 8000 hours of flight experience, a first officer with 200 flight hours assisted, there were 35 nationalities amongst the 149 passengers. The crash site appears to be consistent with a steep dive, the aircraft is right inside the ground. The aircraft had undergone last "rigorous first check maintenance" on Feb 4th 2019. The aircraft had last operated to and from Johannesburg (South Africa) arriving back in Addis Ababa in the morning of Mar 10th 2019 before departing for the accident flight.

Link to Aviation Herald discussion.
The incident appeared similar to the 29 October 2018 crash of Lion Air 610, operated by a B38M.

Indonesian carrier Lion Air Flight 610 on October 29 crashed into the sea soon after takeoff with the loss of all aboard, apparently due to the erroneous data from a faulty Angle of Attack sensor, which caused the MCAS (Maneuvering Characteristics Augmentation System) to assume the plane was about to stall, which activated the downward force on the Stabilizer Trim to get the nose down. Link to BBC article.

This aircraft had been written up as having a faulty AOA indicator for previous flights it had taken. It is unclear if Lion Air had performed adequate maintenance procedures after the reports or withdraw the aircraft from service until the fault could be completely cleared.

“Instead of switching off the Stabilizer Trim the pilots appear to have battled the system.” Link
Boeing 737 MAX and MCAS: See “What is the Boeing 737 MAX Maneuvering Characteristics Augmentation System?”, updated November 17 to explain the MCAS and electric trim override operation, here: link.

Boeing has stated a revised MCAS is in the works, and the FAA is expected to issue an AD note when the MCAS update is done. This is expected to occur in early April, 2019.

355 B38M deliveries have been carried out through 1 March 2019, out of 5,123 orders. Link to Wikipedia B38M list of Airlines, orders and deliveries.
Ethiopian Airlines ordered 25 Boeing 737 MAX 8 (B38M) and at the time of the crash of ET 302 on 10 March 2019. ET also operates 10 Boeing 737-700 and 16 Boeing 737-800 aircraft as part of its fleet.

Ethiopian Airlines is the flag carrier of Ethiopia, and commenced operations on 8 April 1946, expanding to international flights in 1951. The firm became a share company in 1965 and changed its name from Ethiopian Air Lines to Ethiopian Airlines. The airline has been a member of the International Air Transport Association since 1959 and of the African Airlines Association (AFRAA) since 1968. Ethiopian is a Star Alliance member, having joined in December 2011.

As of November 2017, the carrier served 105 international and 20 domestic passenger destinations and 44 cargo destinations. Ethiopian serves more destinations in Africa than any other airline. Ethiopian Airlines’ fleet consists of 106 aircraft.

- Wikipedia (link)
7 Nov 2018: The US Federal Aviation Administration / FAA issued an Airworthiness Directive (AD note) covering the AOA within a few days, giving US carriers 30 days to comply with the AD note.

6 Nov 2018: Boeing issued revised operating instructions covering the revised MCAS used in the MAX 8, updating the MAX operations manual. See the manual update and the switches referenced. See Aviation Herald discussion for information.

10 March 2019: ET 302, operated by Ethiopian Airlines 737 MAX 8 ET-AVJ departing Addis Ababa to Nairobi turned back to the airport soon after takeoff, but crashed with the loss of all aboard.

Link to BBC article.

11 March 2019: The US National Transportation Board / NTSB has dispatched an investigation team, as have Boeing, to Addis Ababa to assist the Ethiopian investigators in determining the cause(s) of the crash. The “black boxes” (cockpit voice and the flight data recorder have been recovered.

11 March 2019: Ethiopian Airlines announced airline both “black boxes” - the cockpit voice recorder and the flight data recorder are recovered.

11 Mar 2019: China grounded its 737 MAX 8 (not MAX 9) fleet, and a number of countries have followed suit on 12 March 2019, including the United Kingdom and the European Union.Link to New York Times article.

11 March 2019: The US FAA stated it would not ground US (AA, UA, WN) 737 MAX aircraft at this time.

Link to FAA Airworthiness Notification for USA registered B38M aircraft PDF.

Link to Wall Street Journal article.

12 March 2019: The USA and Canada are the only countries allowing the B38M to remain in operation.

13 March 2019: Ethiopian Airlines CEO Tewolde Gebremariam requests grounding of all B38M aircraft until the cause(s) of the crash of ET 302 is learned.

13 March 2019: Canada grounds Canadian B38Ms and bans B38M departures, arrivals and overflights.

13 March 2019: All USA operated Boeing 737 MAX -8 and -9 aircraft are grounded by US Federal Aviation Administration emergency order. At this time, all 737 MAX 8 are grounded until further notice.

14 March 2019: It is announced the French BEA will retrieve the data from the Ethiopian Cockpit Voice Recorder and Flight Data Recorder.

Link to Eight things you might not know about black boxes
By Cristen Tilley, ABC Australia

15 March 2019: Aircraft manufactured Boeing plans to roll out a software upgrade for its 737 Max aircraft in 10 days. The US FAA is expected to sign off on the anti-stall modification to the MAX software 25 March. CNBC

17 Mar 2019: The French BEA stated the Flight Data Recorder data have been given to the Ethiopian Investigation Team. Borpth CVR and FDR “black boxes” have been downloaded and turned over to investigators.

17 Mar 2019 the Ethiopian Transport Minister said: "Recently, the FDR and CVR of Ethiopian Airlines Flight 302 have been successfully read out. Our experts and US experts have verified the accuracy of the information. The Ethiopian government accepted the information, and the cause of the crash is similar to the Indonesian Flight 610. A preliminary reported will be published in a month with a detailed analysis. We are grateful to the French Government for its ongoing support." - Aviation Herald

17 Mar 2019 Ethiopian Airlines Twitter Account (Link) posted "The total flying time of the First Officer is 350 hours. Moreover, the Pilot in command is a senior pilot who has accumulated 8,100 hours. According to ICAO regulations any CPL holder can act as F/O in multi engine jet commercial flight up on successful completion of the full Type Rating training on the type of A/C. According to ICAO, it only requires a maximum of 200HRs to hold CPL. Ethiopean airlines in its effort to enhance safety established a crew pairing policy where by a less experienced F/O flies only with highly experienced Capt and vice versa".

17 Mar 2019: “Ethiopian transport minister Dagmawit Moge told reporters on Sunday that an evaluation of the black boxes from Ethiopian Airlines Flight ET302 and Lion Air Flight JT610 showed "clear similarities." - Link to Business Insider article.

18 Mar 2019: Aviation Herald learns new information of ET 302 departure routing and airport communication, and the possibility MAX simulator training and inclusion of training relating to MCAS and the JT 610 lessons learned may not have reached all ET cockpit crew due to the simulator training requirements of six month periodicity. Link.

19 Mar 2019: The Secretary if the US Department of Transportation, of which the Federal Aviation Administration is part of, has requested the Inspector General conduct a formal audit “to compile an objective and detailed factual history of the activities that resulted in the certification of the Boeing 737-MAX 8 aircraft” as part of an ongoing review of factors related to the MAX aviation certification. Link

Print Wikipost

Ethiopian Airlines: Boeing 737 Max 8 crashes on way to Kenya [ET302 ADD-NBO 10MAR19]

Old Mar 12, 2019, 3:24 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by navi_jen
Remember that in the US, the FAA has a dual mission, to promote airline travel as well as ensure safety. It's an inherent conflict of interest that is leading them, in this case, to be more conservative that a true regulatory body.
No it doesn’t, and hasn’t since the aftermath of the Valujet investigation in 1996.
Tanzguy likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 3:31 pm

I heard this on MSNBC, not sure about the value of it, so don't laugh at me yet!

I'm paraphrasing here:

"
What if ET302 pilot knew the "switching off solution" after Lion crash, and they did try that,

But it didn't work.
"
Franky16 likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 3:48 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
, OTOH, is likely to have more of a problem in that the MAX constitutes close to ten percent of their fleet and they're already having difficulties with their mechanics union. It could also be interesting if large numbers of AA FAs refuse to work MAX flights, as they apparently have the right to do.

Um, closer to four or five percent for WN
Originally Posted by flightradar24.com
Southwest Airlines fleet Number of aircraft in fleet: 754

TYPE NUMBER OF AIRCRAFT

B38M 34

B737 513

B738 207
flightradar24.com/data/airlines/wn-swa/fleet
Originally Posted by navi_jen
Remember that in the US, the FAA has a dual mission, to promote airline travel as well as ensure safety. It's an inherent conflict of interest that is leading them, in this case, to be more conservative that a true regulatory body.
Not to mention that they certified the plane in the first place and grounding it may not look so good
Franky16 likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 4:32 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by EmailKid
Um, closer to four or five percent for WN

flightradar24.com/data/airlines/wn-swa/fleet

Not to mention that they certified the plane in the first place and grounding it may not look so good
Yeah but a 3rd crash while they're looking for the cause of the 2nd would be how many times worse? And something like this HAS happened before (and it was with the only other aircraft model, the De Havilland Comet, to have 2 fatal crashes so soon after being released, and cost an additional 21 lives).
Old Mar 12, 2019, 4:55 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by STS-134

Yeah but a 3rd crash while they're looking for the cause of the 2nd would be how many times worse? And something like this HAS happened before (and it was with the only other aircraft model, the De Havilland Comet, to have 2 fatal crashes so soon after being released, and cost an additional 21 lives).
Um, merely pointing out simple math @:-)

We armchair quarterbacks don't have the info needed to make a determination, but IMHO grounding MAXes may just be the prudent thing to do right now. Sadly, it's hard to trust CEOs these days
Franky16 likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by threeoh
I was objecting to the "2/350" statistic as being extremely misleading.

The truth is the overall chance of a flight crashing (hull loss) is something like 1 in 2,000,000. The chance of a 737 Max 8 crashing if we assume the worst case even though we don't have enough info on this crash yet is 1 in 250,000. Yes, it is 8 times more dangerous than a non Max 8 flight, but that doesn't make it dangerous. It's still extremely safe, about as safe as flying any model of plane was 20 years ago. Still safer than driving your car. It's something for the aviation community (regulators, manufacturers, carriers) to work on and work on fairly urgently, it is not an all out acute safety crisis.
Dying is emotional, or at least thinking about your death is emotional. You're free to tell me that the chance of flying a Max is ONLY 8x more dangerous than a regular flight - or that I'm more likely to fall off my ladder at home - you may be right.. However, our imaginations take over - and just imagining falling out of the sky in a plane, burning up, crashing - I mean it's not even close to falling off my ladder, slipping in the shower etc. I've been in serious motorbike accidents - that I could have easily died from - I would prefer that method a THOUSAND times over having my plane fall out of the sky on fire with everyone screaming around me, G forces, smoke, terror etc.

About the only thing worse I can think of - is the Twin Towers, or terrorist beheading.

I don't mean to be graphic - it's just that your statistical argument doesn't mean much in the face of how we weigh horrors or statistics when it comes to death by catastrophic airplane crash. Each one is uniquely horrifying and captures our imagination in a way that crashing your VW never will.

For 200,000+ years we were virtual-monkeys, now we're 35,000ft in air in a pressurized Coke can letting anonymous dudes fly us - no wonder we shudder.
Cholula, DenverBrian, m.y and 5 others like this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 2:06 am
Suspended

I think what if it was Airbus a321Neo then FFA will be first to ground them....they just protecting own market not passangers...
Old Mar 13, 2019, 3:41 am

So I make that around 28 airlines that have grounded the 737 Max (or been forced to by their regulators). Some I'm sure taking the easy option and being good followers.

That leaves very few operators, almost all US/Canada based. Including American, Southwest, Air Canada, Sunwing and WestJet.

I suppose Boeing are trying to tread a fine line on liability.....must be expensive having $ billions of equipment sat idle. Not least if you are in a tight position financially, and have already suffered from the 787 issues.

Let's see.
Franky16 likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 4:30 am
Suspended

Qatar Airways can earn some money leasing tier flet aircraft grounded becouse of blockade
ubiest likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 4:59 am

Programs: A3, BA, OZ,
Originally Posted by simons1
So I make that around 28 airlines that have grounded the 737 Max (or been forced to by their regulators). Some I'm sure taking the easy option and being good followers.

That leaves very few operators, almost all US/Canada based. Including American, Southwest, Air Canada, Sunwing and WestJet.

I suppose Boeing are trying to tread a fine line on liability.....must be expensive having $ billions of equipment sat idle. Not least if you are in a tight position financially, and have already suffered from the 787 issues.

Let's see.
I think Sunwing already announced they would temporarily stop using their 737 Max.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 5:19 am

Boeing/FAA really needs to think this long and hard. Most (90% via wikipedia) of these max planes are sold overseas. Do they really want to go down the road claiming only US pilots can fly this thing properly? They may as well just scratch the program now.
SouthernCross likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 5:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by david55
Now 2 US Flight Attendant Unions call for grounding the plane. Won't be long before someone in the US blinks.

https://www.seattletimes.com/busines...eings-737-max/
I don't think FAs know more about aircraft design and related relevant issues than random adults who are literate at the high school graduate level. If they were interested in the more technical aspects of flying or had ability in that area, they would be pilots.

In the USA, at least the AA FAs have a contract provision that implies they need not work MAX 8 flights (or any other route, aircraft types, etc.) if they don't want to do so. I don't know whether the same applies to WN FAs.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 6:25 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
[left]I don't think FAs know more about aircraft design and related relevant issues than random adults who are literate at the high school graduate level. If they were interested in the more technical aspects of flying or had ability in that area, they would be pilots.
Not necessarily. Even the non-technically-minded tend to have a somewhat better understanding of issues than the general public. Not everyone who understands those things wants to be a pilot either.

But the point being that unlike passengers, it's their workplace, and if they do not feel comfortable with flying on them, and a lot of them refuse to fly on Max, then it might have operational impacts.

In addition, I believe one of the pilots' unions in the US expressed concerns and told their members they were not obliged to fly the Max if they did not feel safe to do so (I just can't find the source right now, but I read that somewhere).

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Mar 13, 2019 at 8:46 am
Old Mar 13, 2019, 6:50 am

I don't think FAs know more about aircraft design and related relevant issues than random adults who are literate at the high school graduate level. If they were interested in the more technical aspects of flying or had ability in that area, they would be pilots.

What a snooty comment.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by ElephantGin
You're free to tell me that the chance of flying a Max is ONLY 8x more dangerous than a regular flight - or that I'm more likely to fall off my ladder at home - you may be right.
And you're free to not fly the Max 8 or even argue for its grounding. Unlike some other posters I have not said anyone is silly for avoiding it. I even said I thought the regulators who grounded it were reasonable.

I'm upset that people are saying things like "death trap" and "2 out of 350 crash!!!" as if taking your seat in a Max 8 were equivalent to running back and forth across a busy freeway at night. I don't think it contributes to the conversation.

However, our imaginations take over
Yup, on that much we agree.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.