Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other Middle Eastern and African Airlines
Reload this Page >

KQ: LHR-CPT - but wanting a 48 hour stop in Nairobi - possible?

Old Mar 8, 19, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver

Hello helpful board members of FT,

Some help please. I'm planning a special trip to Africa (I've worked and travelled there for 20 years) and one of my possible routes is to use Kenya Airways (the other options are BA or Qatar).

I notice the LHR-CPT route is good value on KQ and there is a 8+ hour connection in Nairobi (LHR-NBO) + (NBO-CPT).

Would it be allowed under fare rules to stop in Nairobi for longer than the 8 hours scheduled? Could I spend 48 hours or so in Nairobi? Or would this not be allowed?

Could I purchase this ticket online or would I need to ring the KQ ticketing office?

I might also consider flying from AMS-CPT with KQ too.

Many thanks in advance.
Old Mar 9, 19, 4:53 am

Programs: TK Gold
Yes, of course it is possible to put together that kind of itinerary. Whether it is allowed in the fare rules or not depends on what fare you look at. Your concern is pricing? If so, can you let us know what kind of fare you are looking at? Dates, price, booking class?

There are many options. You can probably also fly a piece of the leg on BA if you want.
I would personally go with KL. Not a fan of KQ, at all.
EDIT: You should be able to pull this up on both OTA's and KQ's website with multi-city search.

Last edited by Goaguy; Mar 9, 19 at 5:02 am
Old Mar 9, 19, 12:02 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Diamond Club
Originally Posted by Sign47 View Post
Would it be allowed under fare rules to stop in Nairobi for longer than the 8 hours scheduled? Could I spend 48 hours or so in Nairobi? Or would this not be allowed?
Could I purchase this ticket online or would I need to ring the KQ ticketing office?
I might also consider flying from AMS-CPT with KQ too.
If KQ does not fly daily to CPT you can get some tickets with a 24h ish (maybe more if you take the afternoon flight) stop over in NBO, which is the maximum I could observe. Anyway for a 48h stop you will definitely need to contact KQ center in NBO.
It's always better to buy directly on Kenya-airways.com if you plan to change (= extend your lay over) with a minimal fee, as a very very few OTA allow this service.
Next time, if you head off to an East African city from LHR, thanks to KQ you can get a free safari during your transit at Nairobi which is not bad :

https://www.kenya-airways.com/nairob...k-stopover/en/
Goaguy likes this.
Old Mar 16, 19, 2:30 am

Originally Posted by flying_blue_white_red View Post
If KQ does not fly daily to CPT you can get some tickets with a 24h ish (maybe more if you take the afternoon flight) stop over in NBO, which is the maximum I could observe. Anyway for a 48h stop you will definitely need to contact KQ center in NBO.
KQ flies 12 weekly to CPT, daily in the early morning and 5 times weekly in the afternoon, I'm surprised OP is mentioning an 8hrs layover although that could be the cheaper option, but a daily ~2,5hrs connection is also available.
That being said, no issue booking a multicity with a stopover in NBO, even the cheapest fares allow at least one free stopover in NBO
Old Mar 16, 19, 5:01 am

Programs: TK Elite, HH G
Sure, stopovers at NBO is possible with KQ. I suggest you try to search for your preferred dates on skyscanner.com which will link you to OTA that is able to sell such ticket online. Or you could call the local KQ office - better to book directly with the airline but often a bit more expensive as you don't get the discount as when booking with a OTA.
Old Mar 22, 19, 10:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It's interesting that all KQ fares allow the NBO stopover; I would have guessed that the fare rules for the cheapest coach fares would not permit this.

OP is an experienced traveler to Africa, but just in case: don't forget to check travel document and health requirements for the NBO stopover.
Old Apr 12, 19, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 5MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
OP is an experienced traveler to Africa, but just in case: don't forget to check travel document and health requirements for the NBO stopover.
US citizens require a transit visa (which can be applied and paid for online), but no special health requirements.
Old Apr 13, 19, 2:43 am

Originally Posted by Blumie View Post
US citizens require a transit visa (which can be applied and paid for online), but no special health requirements.
Actually a yellow fever certificate is needed if doing a stop-over, and KQ will check for it when departing.
Old Apr 13, 19, 4:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 5MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by Ditto View Post
Actually a yellow fever certificate is needed if doing a stop-over, and KQ will check for it when departing.
I've gotten and used three transit visas and have not once been asked for a yellow fever certificate. From what I see online, it's only required if traveling from certain countries with a high risk of yellow fever.

Search this Thread