Credit Oman Air flights to Etihad and use on Air NZ?

Old Jan 3, 19, 10:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Gold, Cathay Silver, CO OnePass
Credit Oman Air flights to Etihad and use on Air NZ?

Hi,

Now I know that Oman Air and Air NZ don't have any agreements about points, but I have a cunning plan and wanted to know if anyone out there knows if my theory would work out. ☺️��

I've got a trip from Melbourne to Amman coming up later in the year. It's a work trip and the client is paying/booking and so my options are limited. They are most likely going to be sending me in J on Oman Air via KL. I am GOLD on Air NZ and so would like to get some of those miles credited. I know I won't get any status points, but it is what it is there.

Here is my plan.

Oman has an agreement with Etihad and you can use Etihad points to book flights on Air NZ. So, could I credit the Oman flights points to Etihad and then at some stage later, use those points to book a flight on Air NZ?

Thoughts?
Old Jan 3, 19, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Getting EY ff miles from an Oman Air flight and use for Air NZ award?

Originally Posted by muttys View Post
<snip>
Oman has an agreement with Etihad and you can use Etihad points to book flights on Air NZ. So, could I credit the Oman flights points to Etihad and then at some stage later, use those points to book a flight on Air NZ?

Thoughts?
Should work if you join the EY ffp.
What airline MEL to KUL? MH codeshare? That may effect ff earnings
But will you get enough EY ff miles to be of use?
Have you researched how easy to redeem EY ff miles on Air NZ?
EY is a partner of VA, AA & various other airlines. Has in interesting mix of ff partners
https://www.wheretocredit.com/oman-air/j
https://www.wheretocredit.com/ey/j

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Jan 4, 19 at 1:39 am Reason: Title updated
Old Jan 4, 19, 4:23 am
PxC

Programs: BA Silver
How do I go about crediting Oman miles post flight? I didnít see an option beforehand. Took the flights a month ago, and would like to credit to Etihad.

Thx
Old Jan 4, 19, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PxC View Post
How do I go about crediting Oman miles post flight? I didnít see an option beforehand. Took the flights a month ago, and would like to credit to Etihad.
EY guest ff site (claim missing ff miles)----> https://www.etihadguest.com/en/my-ac..._missing_miles
Success will depend on the retro credit rules at EY and how long ago the flight was.
Do you have the boarding pass?
Old Jan 4, 19, 4:50 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Mwenezi,

To be frank, I am not too worried about how many points I get out of it. I just don't want to go half way round the world in J and have no points to show for it.

So wanted to try and ensure that I can at least use those points somewhere. Have already joined EY ffp. I tried wheretocredit and the info was, not that helpful. I suppose worst comes to worst, I will try and see what happens.

I'm based in Austrlia now, so may even try and use them on VA, but would prefer NZ as I've hitched my Gold status on SA to them, so want to fly on as much Air NZ metal as possible to ensure I keep my status.

Will be able to report back in May once the trip is done.
Old Jan 4, 19, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To be frank, I am not too worried about how many points I get out of it. I just don't want to go half way round the world in J and have no points to show for it.
Well as this if FT, to fly J and not get ff miles is a horrendous crime

There are far better Star Alliance ffp's than the Air NZ ffp.
Old Jan 4, 19, 5:18 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Thanks Mwenezi,

So wanted to try and ensure that I can at least use those points somewhere. Have already joined EY ffp. I tried wheretocredit and the info was, not that helpful. I suppose worst comes to worst, I will try and see what happens.

I'm based in Austrlia now, so may even try and use them on VA, but would prefer NZ as I've hitched my Gold status on SA to them, so want to fly on as much Air NZ metal as possible to ensure I keep my status.

Will be able to report back in May once the trip is done.
You are far better off redeeming for VA than NZ looking at these charts. I'm assuming the NZ chart is in miles rather than km but don't know for sure. Some of the routes in WA no longer exist for VA.

https://www.etihadguest.com/en/spend-miles/flying/air-new-zealand.html

https://www.etihadguest.com/content/dam/eag/glc/etihadguest/programassets/pdf/Virgin-Australia-Redemption-Table.pdf
Old Jan 5, 19, 4:59 pm
Original Poster

Yeah, I realise Air NZ isn't the best. It's that I did a lot of flying last year for work that got me to GOLD with them.

Also I need to fly to the USA from Australia at least 2-3 times per year for work and NZ is by far the cheapest for that with decent metal and really nice service. For example looking at flights in PE to Vegas for a conference later in the year. NZ is about $3.5K and Qantas is $5.5K.

Of course if I could convince all my clients to fly me in J, I could aim for status on more than one alliance.
Old Jan 6, 19, 8:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM
One thing to keep in mind with your plan also is that NZ award seats to partners are abysmal. You very rarely see economy seats available, let alone business class. You can search some examples with one of the Star Alliance search engines (UA, AC, AV, NH, SQ). Unfortunately it doesn't matter if you manage to accrue 1 billion EY miles, actually using them on NZ flights is going to be the issue.

Search this Thread