Oman (J) Review vs QR

Old Dec 28, 18, 10:26 am
  #1  
PxC
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Bristol
Programs: BA Silver
Posts: 272
Oman (J) Review vs QR

In recent times, QR sales have given me a (very good) taste of turning left. Unfortunately the sales have dried up and it was time to make a choice for a trip with the gf to BKK.

I considered BA First via HKG (with Gold upgrade voucher), but was suprised to find everyone who replied in my thread on the BA forum suggested Oman would be a better choice. It seems a few others have thought the same, so I was very keen to compare QR and WY and took a few notes.

Price/Route

Oman had a sale, which was approx £1100 CDG-BKK, or £1500 LHR-BKK. I managed to price up £1250 for CDG-BKK-LHR, so that I could fly out for a day in Paris from LHR in the morning, while getting to go straight back to LHR on the way back and avoiding an extra stop. I also wanted night flights, which were not an option on the return back to Paris. My first flight was an A330, the following 3 were all 787.

The Seat

All four Oman flights had the new apex suite, which aside from the Q suite, is probably the best business class seat on the market. Plenty of privacy and storage, and one big rectangular space with no foot space restrictions. In bed mode, it was better than the Q suite (due to the lack of a foot cubby), but I cannot pretend it was better overall. It was great if travelling alongside a partner (unlike reverse herringbone), and the window seat space was huge, at 6ft I was barely able to touch the ottoman with my feet, All had aisle access. The 'old' Oman business class seat offered even more space (think QR's first class seat size), so apart from an equipment swap, I don't think you can lose out. Given on QR you are very likely to have at least a couple of legs on their non Q suite seats, Oman wins, as it definately comes out ahead of their others.

The Service

QR takes this one. Oman not quite as fast, not quite as polished (speed of first drink/meal, and two of the legs had noticably less 'warm' FA's).

Food/Drinks

Oman was pretty much identical to QR on this, even the menus looked the same. Both dine on demand, with a good selection. Draw

Airport/Lounges

Oman have recently opened a new airport, and it's very impressive, on a par with Doha for me, and a bit smaller. The experience was pretty similar. Omans lounge in Muscat was very impressive. Modern yet warm and homely (Doha can feel a bit 'cold' with the futuristic aspect), the best buffet food I have eaten in a lounge, and easy access to a day bed, which my sick gf would of enjoyed more had the person in the booth next door not been getting 'relieved' by a partner. Omans airport in BKK was good as well, but on the small side. My favourite lounge ever had been the QR lounge at LHR, but apart from that Oman at least equals QR here, and its flagship J lounges beats Doha. In Paris Oman uses the Cathay lounge, which is of course fine.

Other

Wifi on Oman was expensive, with no free option, which is disappointing. The boarding was also very random for one leg, the FA just opened the door and shouted boarding, so it was a free for all in spite of class travelled.

Overall

Came out fairly equal, which was a bit of a suprise given QR are considered top dog. The seat will matter to most, if you aren't in a Q suiite, Oman wins. Oman of course suffers for a lack of alliance, but seems to be offering better sales in recent times, so go with whats more important to you.
tfizzle, toz100, Ldnn1 and 1 others like this.
PxC is offline  
Old Dec 28, 18, 10:44 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Milan, Dubai, HK
Programs: QR Plat, RA, Oman Air Gold, HH Diamond
Posts: 377
I agree with much of the above

however on a recent flight in J from Milan to Muscat I thought the crew were incredibly amateurish, the average QR crew would have been miles better, they are not the multi-lingual EK or QR staff

Muscat airport is fantastic and it is a more relaxed lounge with respectable local food, good coffees, champagne.............

they status match fairly easily

the Apex seats are righteous

going from Dubai to Bangkok on WY next month and figure it will be a better flight ;-)

Last edited by #1son; Dec 28, 18 at 8:10 pm
#1son is offline  
Old Dec 28, 18, 12:17 pm
  #3  
Moderator: Qatar Airways
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: LHR/NCE/DOH
Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, QR Insider, SQ Gold, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Posts: 7,556
I really like WY, and if their Frequent Flyer program had more partners, I'd probably fly them more often.

While the Apex Suites are brilliant (I personally prefer them to QSuites), I've had quite a few WY flights on their Kenya Airways 787s. Those, I am not a fan of, but I'm not sure if the wet lease of the airframes has ended.

M
msm2000uk is online now  
Old Dec 29, 18, 9:57 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: UK/Australia
Programs: BAEC Gold, UA2MM, WY Gold, QF Gold
Posts: 1,979
Originally Posted by msm2000uk View Post
I really like WY, and if their Frequent Flyer program had more partners, I'd probably fly them more often.

While the Apex Suites are brilliant (I personally prefer them to QSuites), I've had quite a few WY flights on their Kenya Airways 787s. Those, I am not a fan of, but I'm not sure if the wet lease of the airframes has ended.

M
I'm booked on WY CGK-MCT-LHR in May, both 789 flights, but one flight has 5 rows in business and the other has 4. Is that the Kenya Airways aircraft, or do WY have 2 configurations for their 789's?

Edit: Not to worry, I've discovered that it's the 789 configuration with 1st class, so panic over.

Last edited by Grace B; Dec 29, 18 at 10:06 pm
Grace B is offline  
Old Jan 2, 19, 1:08 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 7,508
Originally Posted by PxC View Post
Overall
Came out fairly equal, which was a bit of a suprise given QR are considered top dog. The seat will matter to most, if you aren't in a Q suiite, Oman wins. Oman of course suffers for a lack of alliance, but seems to be offering better sales in recent times, so go with whats more important to you.
Originally Posted by #1son View Post
I agree with much of the above

however on a recent flight in J from Milan to Muscat I thought the crew were incredibly amateurish, the average QR crew would have been miles better, they are not the multi-lingual EK or QR staff

Muscat airport is fantastic and it is a more relaxed lounge with respectable local food, good coffees, champagne.............

they status match fairly easily

the Apex seats are righteous

going from Dubai to Bangkok on WY next month and figure it will be a better flight ;-)
I had the pleasure of trying both the QSuite (77W 1K) and WY Apex suite (789 12K) on my trip past couple of weeks. Like #1son I agree with much of PxC's analysis, but in my case WY was the clear winner on onboard service. I had an excellent FA from MCT who knew just what she was doing and was happy to please. By contrast my QR FA tried hard but showed a lack of experience in a few areas. So I suppose as with any airline the level of crew service does depend on who you get on the day.

Overall, I thought both products were really superb and better than many of my F flights. WY was a little awkward with neighbour before the divider went up but after that was great, and I agree slightly edged the QSuite on comfort. I hope to get to fly them both again in the not too distant future.
Ldnn1 is online now  
Old Jan 2, 19, 6:45 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Melbourne
Programs: NZ Gold, Cathay Silver, CO OnePass
Posts: 57
I may be using them in April KL-MCT-AMM and back. Did they provide you with PJ's on the 332 route?
muttys is offline  
Old Jan 2, 19, 8:55 pm
  #7  
PxC
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Bristol
Programs: BA Silver
Posts: 272
Originally Posted by muttys View Post
I may be using them in April KL-MCT-AMM and back. Did they provide you with PJ's on the 332 route?
They had them on all 4 segments, and they felt comfier and better quality than the QR pjs They also provided a mattress for two of the segments, whereas QR wouldn’t do that unless the flight time was a bit longer
PxC is offline  
Old Jan 2, 19, 11:16 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: CGK, MXP
Programs: EY Guest Gold, QR Burgundy, EK Blue, LH M&M, SQ Krisflyer
Posts: 214
Originally Posted by PxC View Post
In recent times, QR sales have given me a (very good) taste of turning left. Unfortunately the sales have dried up and it was time to make a choice for a trip with the gf to BKK.

I considered BA First via HKG (with Gold upgrade voucher), but was suprised to find everyone who replied in my thread on the BA forum suggested Oman would be a better choice. It seems a few others have thought the same, so I was very keen to compare QR and WY and took a few notes.

Price/Route

Oman had a sale, which was approx £1100 CDG-BKK, or £1500 LHR-BKK. I managed to price up £1250 for CDG-BKK-LHR, so that I could fly out for a day in Paris from LHR in the morning, while getting to go straight back to LHR on the way back and avoiding an extra stop. I also wanted night flights, which were not an option on the return back to Paris. My first flight was an A330, the following 3 were all 787.

The Seat

All four Oman flights had the new apex suite, which aside from the Q suite, is probably the best business class seat on the market. Plenty of privacy and storage, and one big rectangular space with no foot space restrictions. In bed mode, it was better than the Q suite (due to the lack of a foot cubby), but I cannot pretend it was better overall. It was great if travelling alongside a partner (unlike reverse herringbone), and the window seat space was huge, at 6ft I was barely able to touch the ottoman with my feet, All had aisle access. The 'old' Oman business class seat offered even more space (think QR's first class seat size), so apart from an equipment swap, I don't think you can lose out. Given on QR you are very likely to have at least a couple of legs on their non Q suite seats, Oman wins, as it definitely comes out ahead of their others.
Thanks for the nice review. I already booked a trip to MXP from CGK in J for next months with my wife and 4 yo daughter, which pair of seats do you think better if you need to assist/ interact with partner or children? So far I choose the center couple and near aisle seat. Recently flown on QR B787 with my daughter only and center seats couple wasn't good at all for traveling together, each time my daughter needed anything I had to walk to the other aisle as center seats are too far each other, much better at return when I choose one center and one aisle (despite airport agents always trying to move us to center), luckily on all 4 legs QR FA were wonderful with my daughter.
What about A330 and B787, did you feel any significant difference?
BobFF68 is offline  
Old Jan 3, 19, 5:31 pm
  #9  
PxC
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Bristol
Programs: BA Silver
Posts: 272
Originally Posted by BobFF68 View Post
Thanks for the nice review. I already booked a trip to MXP from CGK in J for next months with my wife and 4 yo daughter, which pair of seats do you think better if you need to assist/ interact with partner or children? So far I choose the center couple and near aisle seat. Recently flown on QR B787 with my daughter only and center seats couple wasn't good at all for traveling together, each time my daughter needed anything I had to walk to the other aisle as center seats are too far each other, much better at return when I choose one center and one aisle (despite airport agents always trying to move us to center), luckily on all 4 legs QR FA were wonderful with my daughter.
What about A330 and B787, did you feel any significant difference?
Didn't notice any difference between the A330 and 787, apart from the size of the windows

Your seat choices seem good, the centre seats are in line with eachother, and the window pairs are slightly off. I guess check some pictures to make sure all three will be roughly in line, but I'm sure it will be very good for you regardless.
BobFF68 likes this.
PxC is offline  
Old Jan 3, 19, 10:31 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Melbourne
Programs: NZ Gold, Cathay Silver, CO OnePass
Posts: 57
Thanks for the info. ����☺️
muttys is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread