Wiki Posts
Search

Kenya Airways Departure Time Change

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2018, 5:13 pm
Original Poster

Kenya Airways Departure Time Change

Hello,
I have an itinerary booked from ZNZ-NBO-AMS-SFO on KLM/Kenya Airways for my honeymoon in July, 2019. My initial flight from ZNZ-NBO was scheduled to take off at 9:45p but got moved 5 hrs later to 3:40a. This would make me miss my connecting flight but 3:40a seems like a very odd departure time. Has anyone had this happen for flights booked far in advance and had the time fixed back to when it originally was scheduled (or close to)? I am worried about the full itinerary and KLM was unable to find a flight on the same day that didn't require rebooking the entire itinerary. Please HELP!!! I'm hoping this was just a glitch and will get fixed but I'm afraid I may have to re-book the whole trip.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 5:58 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Diamond Club
Your 3:40 am flight can easily connect to KQ116 to AMS or AF815 to CDG. Maybe someone more aware can say if there many departures to the US from CDG or AMS after 4-5 pm that will allow you to reach quickly SFO.
Otherwise in case of schedule change like this, KQ can put you free of charge on an earlier flight (because they have codeshares + XPs + miles with Precision Air which plies the route NBO-ZNZ vv several times daily). Call them or send a message on the chat!
That way, you will manage catch your KL566 with a morning arrival in AMS.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jbm13
Hello,
I have an itinerary booked from ZNZ-NBO-AMS-SFO on KLM/Kenya Airways for my honeymoon in July, 2019. My initial flight from ZNZ-NBO was scheduled to take off at 9:45p but got moved 5 hrs later to 3:40a. This would make me miss my connecting flight but 3:40a seems like a very odd departure time. Has anyone had this happen for flights booked far in advance and had the time fixed back to when it originally was scheduled (or close to)? I am worried about the full itinerary and KLM was unable to find a flight on the same day that didn't require rebooking the entire itinerary. Please HELP!!! I'm hoping this was just a glitch and will get fixed but I'm afraid I may have to re-book the whole trip.
A number of African airports operate throughout the night so 3.40 am is not an especially odd departure time. KQ has two daily departures to NBO from ZNZ: 3.40am and 9.50am. In addition, they codeshare with Precision Air, a Tanzanian airline, which also has two daily departures to NBO, at 4.55pm and 6.45pm.

You may want to see if they can rebook you on the 6.45pm codeshare (the KQ flight number for this flight is KQ6715 (with the caveat that I have no idea as to how reliable Precision Air is). If not, it looks like your only choice would be between a very long time between flights at NBO (approx 12 hours wait) or a very long time (overnight) at AMS.

If you are on a reward ticket, I doubt that they will rebook you on the Precision Air codeshare. If you are on a paid ticket, you might have a better chance.
Since you are far away from departure date, you can always wait a while to see if schedules change again but I would not put my hope too high upon this one. There does not seem to be any 9.45pm KQ departure from ZNZ on any day so it looks like this flight has been completely pulled from the schedules.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 6:53 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for the info! So it seems that the original flight I had on KQ departing at 9:45p is no longer a regular flight. I will call KQ and see if they can rebook me on the earlier flight operated by Precision Air. Otherwise I think I have to rebook. Appreciate the info and I will update after I speak with KQ. One additional question...Do you know if KLM/Chase would allow for me to cancel the first leg of the itinerary (ZNZ-NBO) but keep the rest of the itinerary so I can book a separate flight on the Precision Air flight earlier in the day?
Old Dec 4, 2018, 1:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The reference to KLM/Chase suggests to me that this is a Flying Blue award ticket. Is that the case? If so, I would have thought that cancelling the first leg while leaving the rest of the itinerary intact should in principle be possible. If it is a paid ticket rather than an award ticket, they might be more reluctant to do so but there is no harm in asking if this is what would work best for you.

Bear in mind, though, that if you book the Precision Air flight separately, you will have no protection if your miss your KLM flight in Nairobi due to delay or cancellation of the Precision Air flight. In addition, you may well have to collect your luggage and re-check in Nairobi (and get a transit visa to go landside for that purpose). In your shoes, I would personally be a bit wary of doing so, as booking a last minute flight to SFO from NBO could be very costly. If the only solution is to book a separate ZNZ-NBO ticket, I would personally consider an overnight in Nairobi to be on the safe side

While the prospect of spending many hours in Nairobi by getting an earlier KQ flight would not fill me with delight, I would give some consideration to asking to be rebooked on an earlier KQ flight so as to keep it all on the same ticket.

Also,if it is a Flying Blue award, KQ may well tell you to speak to Flying Blue rather than themselves but see how it goes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.