ET aircraft, burn marks on engine?

Old Nov 28, 18, 5:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK Gold
ET aircraft, burn marks on engine?

Hope this is the right place to post.
Flew the other day on an ET 737-800 and noted this black spots on the engine, seemingly caused by either heat or exhaust fumes from the engine, coming through the gap between the plates. Judging from the interior of the plane, this is one of the older/more worn out 737's ET has.
Is this normal? And even if not, I assume nothing to worry about? Sorry about the picture quality. The spot looks grey/brown in this picture, but it was actually black.

I'd say the patch was about 15x30cm or so.
Old Nov 28, 18, 11:20 am

Programs: A3 Gold; FB Gold; Hertz Gold
I'm not rated on the 737, but this looks like a little grime/fluid residue from a former leak, coming through the cowling panel gap. Nothing to worry about, just in need of a wash!
JDiver likes this.
Old Nov 28, 18, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TK Gold
Originally Posted by W126Pilot View Post
I'm not rated on the 737, but this looks like a little grime/fluid residue from a former leak, coming through the cowling panel gap. Nothing to worry about, just in need of a wash!
Thank you. But a "former leak" shouldn't be a concern? I'd assume that had someone identified the leak, they would have cleaned around here after fixing the issue?
I should note, it certainly didn't look like a fluid leak, more like a burn mark. But i could be wrong of course.
Old Nov 29, 18, 1:21 am

Programs: UA:1K MM, AF:FB-Gold, QR: PC Platinum, FI: Saga Gold
Once on a Delta flight, there was a notice written on the wing “do not step.” There was of course a footprint on it ��
dvs7310 likes this.
Old Dec 3, 18, 10:04 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, WS Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Goaguy View Post
Thank you. But a "former leak" shouldn't be a concern? I'd assume that had someone identified the leak, they would have cleaned around here after fixing the issue?
I should note, it certainly didn't look like a fluid leak, more like a burn mark. But i could be wrong of course.
It probably was and they thus fixed it. But the leak likely was inside and the evidence is outside, a job for the plane washers vs. the engine fixers. And to be fair you don't know if it was a burn mark any more than a leak. It might be soot from something that was also fixed, so again it's a black mark (literally) on the engine washing team.

A good time and person to ask is at the time and a crew member vs. posting it a week later, maybe after it had an incident. Lots of stories how passengers brought an issue to the crew's attention before all the bells and whistles started to clang and toot.
JDiver likes this.

Search this Thread