ET getting strict about carry-on weights

Old Nov 5, 18, 5:38 am
Original Poster

ET getting strict about carry-on weights

Is it just me or has ET started to get a lot stricter about carry-on weights?

For the third time this week, I've been stopped to weigh my back pack (in Accra, Addis and now Blantyre). It weighed 8.7 kg today and it had to be escalated to a supervisor to let me take it with me, even though I was in Cloud Nine and my other piece weighed less than 2kg.
​​​​​​
I was especially surprised to see them weighing bags at Gate 10A (the special gate for Cloud Nine and Star Gold) in Addis last week. Fortunately my bag only weighed 7.9kg then so no issues.

Anyone else seen this lately? In nearly 200 sectors with ET, I've never been hassled in Cloud Nine or as Star Gold but then 3 times in a week is too much of a coincidence.
Old Nov 5, 18, 5:51 am

Programs: TK Gold
That seems to be something new.
Did 6 sectors with ET past 10 days, didn't experience this, or see it happen to anyone. But I also only travel with one fairly small piece of hand luggage.
Did they want to put it in the cargo hold? Or they wanted to penalize you? On the contrary, it continues to annoy me how people bring too much and too large hand-luggage on the planes. But I did encounter a few times where staff asked people to hand over additional pieces of hand luggage at the gate, to store it in the cargo hold. But this was at out-stations, not in ADD.
W126Pilot likes this.
Old Nov 5, 18, 8:00 am

FWIW last week I helped some family members to checkin to an ET flight in CPT, they were very strict about hold luggage weight, 23.8KG was not acceptable even though all other suitcases were way below 20KG, from what I could see, many other people had to reshuffle their luggage as well.
Old Nov 5, 18, 10:04 am

Programs: TK Gold
Originally Posted by Ditto View Post
FWIW last week I helped some family members to checkin to an ET flight in CPT, they were very strict about hold luggage weight, 23.8KG was not acceptable even though all other suitcases were way below 20KG, from what I could see, many other people had to reshuffle their luggage as well.
That does seem very odd to me, never had anything like that on ET. Actually I find them extremely accommodating compared to other airliners in this regard. Did your family members have any Star Alliance status? Flying in Y?
I was actually of the impression that airliners usually accept +/- 2kg within the limit of each bag. Or maybe this is only on TK and I just assumed it was the same on all airliners?
I managed to multiple times the past months check in bags that were 25-26 kg each at a 23kg allowance (and the total kg more than I was allowed) and they accepted. But I guess it helps when you are *G.
Old Nov 5, 18, 11:20 am

They were flying in Y with no status indeed, still it seems odd, I've flown couple of times with bags just above the allowed allowance (including some LCC in Asia) and never had an issue, they always rounded the weight down.
Old Nov 5, 18, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Goaguy View Post
Did they want to put it in the cargo hold? Or they wanted to penalize you?
I don't know. In the first two cases they cleared me as I was within the limits and in the third case they were confused what to do since I had 4 laptops/tablets in the bag and those obviously couldn't be checked in.

ET's usually smooth experience has been getting a bit frayed lately. This evening in Addis they had a major issue with hotel room shortage for transit pax. I was first given a Hilton voucher, which was swapped for a Radisson Blu voucher (but they were full), so they tried to rebook me in "Blue Sky Hotel" which I flatly refused to accept, and then finally gave me a voucher for the Ramada.

Search this Thread