Egyptair - same day turnaround

Old Oct 7, 18, 8:06 pm
Original Poster

Egyptair - same day turnaround

So, I've been thinking about a mileage-run type itinerary like this - XXX - CAI - BOM and then immediately BOM - CAI - JFK (where I actually need to go from XXX to JFK but the detour is for mileage run purposes). CAI - BOM arrives around 1:50am and BOM - CAI departs at 2:50am.
- Does anyone know if I'll be able to stay airside and go back on the same aircraft?
- Ideally this should be done without bags, but if I do have a bag to check - would MS even check a bag on such a circuitous route (i.e. back to itself)?
Old Oct 9, 18, 4:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton IHG LH BA TK
Originally Posted by br2k View Post
So, I've been thinking about a mileage-run type itinerary like this - XXX - CAI - BOM and then immediately BOM - CAI - JFK (where I actually need to go from XXX to JFK but the detour is for mileage run purposes). CAI - BOM arrives around 1:50am and BOM - CAI departs at 2:50am.
- Does anyone know if I'll be able to stay airside and go back on the same aircraft?
- Ideally this should be done without bags, but if I do have a bag to check - would MS even check a bag on such a circuitous route (i.e. back to itself)?

Your problem is not about the intricacies of Mumbai airport: it's more that you are very unlikely to be allowed to board the BOM flight without a visa.

The airline's system might well tell it that you can make a transfer without a visa to a third country, but you are not doing this. Flying back to the same country is not recognised as an international transfer.

I don't think the aircraft's one-hour turnround gives you nearly enough time to effect a transfer, even if you were to make onto the flight, and even if the authorities at BOM accepted you as an international transfer.

Forget it, or get a visa and plan a stay in Mumbai. It's a great city to visit.
JDiver likes this.
Old Oct 9, 18, 12:14 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The airlines consult IATA TIMATIC to decide if you’ll be allowed to fly or not because you meet - or don’t meet - the passport and visa criteria of your destination and transit countries. If you don’t have an Indian visa or passport that doesn’t require one you’ll never make it as far as the first aircraft.

You can use TIMATIC too. United provides a webform you can fill out that will tell you if you have requirements to fulfill here: https://www.united.com/web/en-US/app...aspx?i=TIMATIC. (And many countries, including USA, China and India, iirc, consider your flight plans as requiring a visa.)
Marschel likes this.
Old Oct 9, 18, 7:56 pm
Original Poster

Timatic doesn't really support an option of "going from CAI to CAI"
I figured that a trip like that is going to be difficult to get right.

Unfortunately, the next flight is in 3 days and 3 days in Mumbai is not really an option. Will look for another MR opportunity.

Search this Thread