Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rwandair question

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2018, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

Rwandair question

Hey guys, I'm planning to buy a one way from Kigali to Johannesburg next year. Looks like Rwandair has one direct flight a day, and another connecting in LUN. I'm more interested in the connecting flight as it's operated by the A330. I would LOVE to try the business class, and I was wondering if there are any ways to use any sorts of points/miles at the moment. Ultimately the price isn't crazy (around USD630) but since it'll be 2 of us, it adds up.
Those flight are codeshares with SAA, so maybe there could be a way to redeem SAA Voyager points, but I read a bunch of horror stories about SAA awards not being honored. Plus it's not really easy to get SAA points (I have none).
Any advice would be appreciated - and FYI I'm based in the US so I have all the transferrable currencies (Chase, Amex, Citi points).
Old Sep 13, 2018, 5:02 am

Programs: A3 Gold; FB Gold; Hertz Gold
I'm sure someone else will contribute here, but in almost 4 years of flying around the region a lot for work, I've never been able to redeem any points for a WB flight other than those that I've accrued through their (very basic and not particularly generous) rewards programme, Dream Miles.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 9:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by W126Pilot
I'm sure someone else will contribute here, but in almost 4 years of flying around the region a lot for work, I've never been able to redeem any points for a WB flight other than those that I've accrued through their (very basic and not particularly generous) rewards programme, Dream Miles.
Thanks for your input! That's what my hunch is. On their website it says that they will ultimately partner with other airlines and miles currencies but there is no timeline, so who knows.
But yeah if anyone knows otherwise...
W126Pilot likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 9:49 am

Programs: Aegean Gold
I confirm
Klems likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 3:06 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Diamond Club
Disagree on the bold part
Last month, I've reached the DreamMiles Silver status thanks to a 10000 miles o/w CPT-KGL booked in Z...
So basically, 1,5 trip (for approx EUR 2300) Europe - Kigali - South Africa vv gives you a Gold status with them though I admit that benefits are limited since they are not part of any alliance yet!

Btw, despite being rumoured a few years ago, RwandAir officially announced plans to open 2 new lounges at Kigali including a Arrival Lounge:
https://www.rwandair.com/media-cente...ounge-services

To OP: have you checked the fare difference for a connecting flight via KGL? to MBA and DAR are usually their cheapeast options and you drop the last leg of course!

Last edited by flying_blue_white_red; Sep 17, 2018 at 3:13 am
Old Sep 17, 2018, 8:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flying_blue_white_red
Disagree on the bold part
To OP: have you checked the fare difference for a connecting flight via KGL? to MBA and DAR are usually their cheapeast options and you drop the last leg of course!
Well KGL is my departure point, not my destination . I am flying in on KLM from New York via AMS several days prior so I can visit Rwanda, and then I am flying on to South Africa. It's that flight that I need to sort out.
As I said in my initial post, I'd love to try the new business class on the A330 even if it means having a stopover in LUN, and even if the flight is really short.
Ultimately, if there's no option to book that with miles, I might just pay for it outright. It's a bit expensive but not insanely expensive, and it might be a very very long time before I have an opportunity to fly that again!
Old Sep 17, 2018, 3:13 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Diamond Club
My bad, I've read it too quickly indeed!
a 2*2 hour flight is perfect to sample this relatively new product - especially from KGL where you should get traditional Rwandan-style catering.
If you have enough time, hire a car and go to Nyungwe National Park for the canopy walk it's worth the trip.

In kigali, I definitely suggest you to pay a visit at 1000 Hills Distillery, you can get more info here:
http://www.livinginkigali.com/rwanda...stillery-tour/

Anyway, Murakaza neza and hope you will enjoy there
Klems likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 7:57 am
Original Poster

Thank you so much !
Old Apr 5, 2019, 1:36 pm
twr

Hi , I need to get to Nairobi from Johannesburg and Rwandair Prices and arrival and Departure times into and out of Nairobi suites me,
Ive never flown with them seems it will be a B737 800 and a CRJ, I have 0150 hour connection on the way there and only a 0105 on the way back, Is that enough time in Kigali on the way back for my connection back to JHB?or would I need to rush and stress?

Im not phased about the food or service, I just want to get there ontime and have my bags!

I dont like the departure time out of JHB at 0255 am but it will be
other option is Emirates as I am actually flying out of Durban, it will actually work out the same price with my Discovery Vitality Medical aid Discount, yes much more flying ?

Opinion thoughts
Old Apr 7, 2019, 11:48 am

Programs: A3 Gold; FB Gold; Hertz Gold
I've done this, and many other 60-90 minute transfers in KGL, many times and never had a problem.

In my experience, WB are almost always completely punctual, and the terminal in KGL is very small yet well-organised, so you'll easily be able to make the transfer with no fuss.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.