FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Other Middle Eastern and African Airlines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-middle-eastern-african-airlines-471/)
-   -   Ethiopian 787-9 Seatmap / Y pitch? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-middle-eastern-african-airlines/1927385-ethiopian-787-9-seatmap-y-pitch.html)

ArnoldB Aug 26, 2018 12:42 pm

Ethiopian 787-9 Seatmap / Y pitch?

It seems my flight in september with ET was changed from a 787-8 to a 787-9. There is no seatmap or info to be found anywhere, not even ETs own homepage, which seems sort of unprofessional.

So does anyone know if the seat pitch in Y is the same as in the 787-8, 32"?

ArnoldB Aug 28, 2018 10:05 am

Nobody?

b_magee Aug 28, 2018 11:07 am

32" is their standard pitch long-haul for long-haul economy (777-2LR, 777-3ER, A350, 787-8), so I wouldn't expect anything different. I haven't flown on it yet myself to confirm, though the 787-9 is starting to make appearances on the ADD-YYZ route, and i'll be flying next week so I may get a chance to see it.

Also note - the 777L / 787-8 / 787-9 are substituted quite frequently. I don't count on getting a certain type of aircraft until 72-48 hours before when the aircraft is normally assigned.

ArnoldB Aug 29, 2018 5:42 am

Ok so I contacted ET via Mail, they asked which seats I want and I said exit row if possible. They confirmed that change. Now the homepage works again and I can log into seat selection.
It shows the 787-9. Exit Row is row 30. We are in 28K 28L in Row 28, which only consists of seats JKL (I assume theres a toilet or sth on the middle and left side?). Row 29 doesnt exist.

Why do they confirm exit row seats and then reserve the wrong ones? Also this row 28 sounds like one with little recline due to bulkhead behind, no?

B747-437B Aug 29, 2018 9:40 am

Originally Posted by ArnoldB (Post 30142805)
Why do they confirm exit row seats and then reserve the wrong ones? Also this row 28 sounds like one with little recline due to bulkhead behind, no?

Row 28 is the exit row on the majority of the 787-8 fleet. They won't assign an actual aircraft until around 48 hrs prior (whether your flight shows 788 or 789 is irrelevant until that time). So stick with row 28 until that window and you might actually wind up with that as an exit row. Even on the aircraft where 28 is not an exit row though, the seat is not limited recline. I actually like it as there is nobody behind you to kick the seat.

The ONLY seats that are an exit row / bulkhead on EVERY SINGLE aircraft in the fleet are 11JKL. If you want/need an extra legroom seat for whatever reason, those are the ones to grab to ensure you keep the seat type even with aircraft swaps.

ArnoldB Aug 29, 2018 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by B747-437B (Post 30143766)
Even on the aircraft where 28 is not an exit row though, the seat is not limited recline. I actually like it as there is nobody behind you to kick the seat.

Does it have a window? And what's to the left, toilets/galley? And is it true that ET offers above average recline on seats?

Asking because I've seen pictures of the real Exit Row seats and the lack of window + legroom-intrusive emergency door turned me off, now I'm sort of looking for the best regular seats. If they're all 32" anyways and have good recline then that should be good enough for 6h flights.

ArnoldB Sep 14, 2018 11:00 am

So now the plane was changed from 787-9 to 777-200LR lol. Still 4 days to go so I still expect another hypothetical change. But I feel like I'm cursed to somehow always fly with 777s. Last 4 vacations it always was 777-200ER/LRs or 777-300ERs. Never flown a 787. So I hope it gets changed back. If it does not:

I see the ET 77L has 3-3-3 Y seating - that sounds wonderful, but on seatguru is says seat width is still only 17"? Where does the extra space go? Wider walkways?

ArnoldB Sep 17, 2018 10:17 am

Online Check-In time has come and it does not work for bookings made outside ethiopianairlines.com (ie with travel agencies). Getting an error message that tells me I need to check in manually and the lady on the hotline confirmed it. Really weird and never had that before.