FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Other Middle Eastern and African Airlines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-middle-eastern-african-airlines-471/)
-   -   Royal Jordanian and Qantas on separate tickets - can I link them at check in? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-middle-eastern-african-airlines/1924794-royal-jordanian-qantas-separate-tickets-can-i-link-them-check.html)

kiwifrequentflyer Aug 12, 2018 12:38 pm

Royal Jordanian and Qantas on separate tickets - can I link them at check in?

Hey everyone. Just wondering if I might be in luck here. Royal Jordanian and Qantas are apart of the same One world alliance. I have a Royal Jordanian flight landing in Bangkok and will be catching a Qantas flight from there later on. They are booked on different tickets. Would it be possible for Royal Jordanian to check my luggage through to Qantas and link my bookings? I have heard people talk about having this done in the same alliance at the airlines discretion, but don't know if that is real or just a myth. Thanks!

flyerby Aug 12, 2018 7:39 pm

It’s real.

kiwifrequentflyer Aug 12, 2018 10:19 pm

Thank you! If this is done would it mean that I'd simply have to transfer at Bangkok, rather than exit immigration and re-enter again?

plunet Aug 13, 2018 1:42 am

There used to be a policy that Oneworld airlines would check through luggage for separately ticketed journeys. But that policy was removed a few years ago.

As far as I know CX and QR have reinstated the policy for journeys starting on flights operated by themselves but others in the OW alliance have not.

The first thing to ascertain is if RJ and Qantas have an interline agreement. If they do, then at the discretion of the check in agent and maybe their supervisor you may have some luck. The other option might be that the transfer desk in BKK can retrieve your baggage and retag it, but I can't recall if BKK airport offers this facility.

Hopefully others can chime in with some more experience.

flyerby Aug 13, 2018 4:22 am

Originally Posted by plunet (Post 30076223)
The first thing to ascertain is if RJ and Qantas have an interline agreement. ...

Come on! It the same alliance. OW. I wouldn’t even bother to check because they just have it.

clubeurope Aug 13, 2018 4:47 am

Originally Posted by flyerby (Post 30076449)

Come on! It the same alliance. OW. I wouldn’t even bother to check because they just have it.

they got rid of the agreement to check through luggage to other partners on separate tickets a few years ago. Even BA wouldn't check through luggage on BA-BA connections (on separate PNRs).

Anyways, being in an alliance doesn't mean that they'll necessarily check through your luggage. It's not a written benefit. And as plunet has mentioned, it is wholly under the discretion of the check-in agent.

clubeurope Aug 13, 2018 4:54 am

Also, to the OP and as a general note,

If flying the other direction (i.e. Flying QF and connecting to RJ or any other OW airline), Qantas specifically mentions that they will not check through baggage on different tickets. https://www.qantas.com/agencyconnect...hrough-checked

this will be problematic if the OP were flying a return flight using the same itinerary.

kiwifrequentflyer Aug 13, 2018 5:21 am

Luckily I am not! But that is very good to know for the future.

LondonElite Aug 13, 2018 5:33 am

If you ask nicely and the agent is in a good mood, you may have your luggage checked through, but don’t expect it to happen. Linking tickets has no material effect in your situation. The more important thing to remember is that, if you miss your QF flight for whatever reason, you’ll have to buy a new one at last minute prices.

flyerby Aug 13, 2018 6:44 am

Originally Posted by clubeurope (Post 30076491)
they got rid of the agreement to check through luggage to other partners on separate tickets a few years ago. Even BA wouldn't check through luggage on BA-BA connections (on separate PNRs).

Anyways, being in an alliance doesn't mean that they'll necessarily check through your luggage. It's not a written benefit. And as plunet has mentioned, it is wholly under the discretion of the check-in agent.

I wasn’t referring to any of that you mentioned. Only to the fact that an alliance has an inherent interlining agreement between its partners.
So goes without saying about codeshare partners.

clubeurope Aug 13, 2018 6:57 am

Originally Posted by flyerby (Post 30076765)

I wasn’t referring to any of that you mentioned. Only to the fact that an alliance has an inherent interlining agreement between its partners.
So goes without saying about codeshare partners.

I suppose that is fair, though in fairness, what I wrote still is valid in regards to the OP’s question.

kiwifrequentflyer Aug 18, 2018 12:56 pm

Update - was not successful. I don't think we had very experienced check in staff, so maybe another night it would have worked if there had been an experienced supervisor.
​​​​

flyerby Aug 19, 2018 6:47 am

Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer (Post 30097851)
Update - was not successful. I don't think we had very experienced check in staff, so maybe another night it would have worked if there had been an experienced supervisor.
​​​​

Sorry to hear so.
Where was the flight to BKK from?

kiwifrequentflyer Aug 29, 2018 9:41 pm

Israel to Jordan and then Jordan to BKK. The staff in Israel were very new. The staff at the gate at Jordan were much more knowledgable. They put the wrong FF on my ticket in Tel Aviv, and refused to change it saying they couldn't and to do in Amman. Despite only having a few minutes left before boarding, the Amman staff kindly changed it for me no problems. I really doubt that they couldn't have changed it in Tel Aviv, the staff seemed confused by the request and I think they just didn't know how to do it.

tobsw Aug 31, 2018 3:20 am

Just my 2 cents. Two tickets: BKK-HKG-LHR-MAD with the first sector on Royal Jordanian, and others on BA. The other ticket was MAD-SPC operated by Iberia/Iberia Express. Royal Jordanian check-in staff in Bangkok managed to check baggage through to final destination SPC, despite on a different ticket. The staff was very knowledgeable and managed it smoothly - knew exactly what I was asking for. Only boarding card for the first sector was given - all other boarding cards where collected at the transfer desk in Hong Kong; staff there wasn´t very happy that luggage was checked to SPC, but they couldn´t do anything against it and printed all remaining boarding cards.