Ethiopian: Flight from ADD to DJI (stop in DIR)

Old Aug 2, 18, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

Ethiopian: Flight from ADD to DJI (stop in DIR)

I am booking an Addis to Djibouti flight that stops in DIR (other airport in Ethipia), and am confused as to how this works from an immigration standpoint...

I assume as we board in Addis, some passengers will be headed to Djibouti )INternational Flight) and some to DIR (Domestic)... Also, assume some passengers will be boarding in DIR for the final leg to DJI (Internation flight).

My question, is how does this work logistically in Addis when we board? Do DOmestic and International passengers board together at Addis? (And the crew checks the boarding pass to let passengers off at DIR)?
Old Aug 3, 18, 2:35 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Diamond Club
Not sure about ADD but a few years ago I flew Air Tanzania from Dar Es Salaam to Bujumbura - Burundi with a domestic stop at Kigoma:

During the chaotic check-in, where the last travellers of the queue could oddly pass first, there were two lines: one domestic one international, whom were attributed a different coloured BP according to the destination, green to Kigoma and a red to Bujumbura. Obviously one lane proceeded through the passport control, while the other lane on a separate way, had to go straight upstairs to the departure lounge.
It's only Inside the jetbridge that we met the Kigoma bound travellers who entered from the domestic area.
Old Aug 3, 18, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, that makes sense.. I guess there will be a similar system in place for my trip...
Old Aug 4, 18, 2:22 pm

Flights to JIB leave from the domestic terminal at ADD (ie Terminal 1), as a few international flights also leave from there (Juba, Hargeisa, ie the non-jet routes) there is an immigration counter on the way to the common departure hall, immediately after check-in. If you have a domestic boarding pass you're just waved through, but you get an exit stamp if holding an international boarding pass. But note that you may need to prompt the immigration officer, the arrangements all seem quite loose.
Old Aug 5, 18, 8:12 am
Original Poster

I will be arriving from an international flight, and did not intend to get an ethipian visa...

However, according to you, it seems I will need to get an ethipian visa in order to make that connection, is that the case?
Old Aug 5, 18, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by mahme View Post
I will be arriving from an international flight, and did not intend to get an ethipian visa...

However, according to you, it seems I will need to get an ethipian visa in order to make that connection, is that the case?
No. There is no need for a visa. There is an airside transfer bus. I do the trip often and it's easy. You arrive in the main terminal (Terminal 2, if arriving from almost all international destinations) and follow the signs for Terminal 1. This will lead you to the far end of the transfer concourse, where you go down a flight of stairs and board a bus. It leaves every few minutes and takes only a few minutes to reach Terminal 1. Once you go into Terminal 1 you want to follow the signs for transfers (it's left before arrivals). You go up a flight of stairs and find yourself in the departure lounge. There is a basic ET *G lounge if you have star gold. There are also a couple of duty free stores, but they only accept cash in dollars. NB If you have a long connection you can stay in Terminal 2, before going to Terminal 1.
Old Aug 5, 18, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

thank you! looking forward
Old Aug 6, 18, 2:20 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM
Originally Posted by Dan72 View Post
NB If you have a long connection you can stay in Terminal 2, before going to Terminal 1.
It may have changed now, but I had a T2 to T1 connection once and they wouldn't let me into the T2 lounge, I had to go to the one in T1. Having said that, the T1 lounge never seems to be crowded and at that time had most of the same food and beverage items. Furniture the few times I've used T1 is more run down than T2, but worth it to avoid the overcrowding.
Old Aug 31, 18, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dan72 View Post
No. There is no need for a visa. There is an airside transfer bus. I do the trip often and it's easy. You arrive in the main terminal (Terminal 2, if arriving from almost all international destinations) and follow the signs for Terminal 1. This will lead you to the far end of the transfer concourse, where you go down a flight of stairs and board a bus. It leaves every few minutes and takes only a few minutes to reach Terminal 1. Once you go into Terminal 1 you want to follow the signs for transfers (it's left before arrivals). You go up a flight of stairs and find yourself in the departure lounge. There is a basic ET *G lounge if you have star gold. There are also a couple of duty free stores, but they only accept cash in dollars. NB If you have a long connection you can stay in Terminal 2, before going to Terminal 1.
It worked out just as you said... I boarded this flight like a regular international flight... When we landed in DIR, half the plane disembarked, and a few people boarded... I am assuming maybe the disembarking passengers would have to go through immigration at DIR as they might have also been connecting internationally...

There was a direct flight from ADD to DIR leaving at exactly the same, 2 gates from mine... So I Guess Ethipian operates 2 flighst simulatneaously: oe for intnernation connecting passengers, and one for locals domestic passengers...
Dan72 likes this.

Search this Thread