Bicycle on ET

Old Jul 25, 18, 5:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: *A
Bicycle on ET

I am travelling in Cloud Nine ex-TLV, and would like to bring a bicycle. I got it boxed up, however according to ET's website, the maximum dimensions (width+length+height) is 158cm, whereas the box is close to 150cm in length alone The bike store say they can't do anything smaller. Has anyone had any experience bringing a bike on Ethiopian?
Thanks
Old Jul 25, 18, 6:08 am

I have a colleague who has traveled with his bike in a standard bike box (larger than 158cm dimensions) and ET accepted it from Dubai (DXB-ADD-JNB) without any additional charges. It had to be dropped off and collected at the special oversized baggage belt however as the automated baggage sorting system could not handle boxes that size without damaging them.

I would contact ET's Tel Aviv office in advance and ensure they can accept it prior to showing up at the airport with it so you are not surprised. Their contact emails are [email protected] (airport office) and [email protected] (town office). If you are in Cloud Nine, they will usually go out of their way to accommodate a reasonable request like this.
Old Jul 25, 18, 6:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by B747-437B View Post
I have a colleague who has traveled with his bike in a standard bike box (larger than 158cm dimensions) and ET accepted it from Dubai (DXB-ADD-JNB) without any additional charges. It had to be dropped off and collected at the special oversized baggage belt however as the automated baggage sorting system could not handle boxes that size without damaging them.

I would contact ET's Tel Aviv office in advance and ensure they can accept it prior to showing up at the airport with it so you are not surprised. Their contact emails are [email protected] (airport office) and [email protected] (town office). If you are in Cloud Nine, they will usually go out of their way to accommodate a reasonable request like this.
Thank you for your prompt reply B747-437B, as always. I called ET in TLV, and was told to just pack it properly. However, when I asked about dimensions, I was just quoted the dimensions on the website, which in practice rules out any non-foldable full-sized bike. I have emailed ET at the airport to see what they say.
B747-437B likes this.
Old Jul 25, 18, 12:51 pm

Programs: TK E+, RJ P
Originally Posted by sds1493 View Post
I am travelling in Cloud Nine ex-TLV, and would like to bring a bicycle. I got it boxed up, however according to ET's website, the maximum dimensions (width+length+height) is 158cm, whereas the box is close to 150cm in length alone The bike store say they can't do anything smaller. Has anyone had any experience bringing a bike on Ethiopian?
Thanks
It doesn’t say so.
It says that bicycle are not free of charge unless are small enough to be considered as regular baggage.

See below:
Bicycle–Bike

The charges shall be as follows:

With in IATA Europe charge EUR40.00 (USD50.00), for Intercontinental routes EUR80.00 (100.00USD).

Note

The equipment will be accepted as checked baggage for free as long as it is within the free baggage allowance weight and dimension.
The maximum sum of the three dimensions (length + width + height) of each bag shall not exceed 158 cms (62 inches).

Old Aug 6, 18, 5:47 am
Original Poster

Just to report back, TLV didn't reply to my email, but were fine taking it as my third item (the check in agent was surprised, but supervisor waved it through).
Thanks all for the advice.
B747-437B likes this.

Search this Thread